Va Va Froome!

Penelope

What a ride yesterday from Chris Froome on the iconic Mont Ventoux in this year's 100'th Tour de France.

In the yellow jersey on a Hors category climb, putting two minutes into the rest of the field.

The greatest ever stage win by a British rider.

Simply fantastic.

Every chance of a second British Tour win in two years :yahoo:.

It was an amazing ride, as has been pointed out already, the problem with any amazing rides (or sprints according to this mornings news) will now be viewed with suspicion due to the actions of others that have more or less destroyed some sports.

I will be on the Champs-Elysees on Sunday either way, hopefully drinking a toast to another English GC win and maybe Cav in the final sprint too? (provided nothing untoward happens to either of them in the meantime) :drinks:

Lucky you!

It was an amazing ride, as has been pointed out already, the problem with any amazing rides (or sprints according to this mornings news) will now be viewed with suspicion due to the actions of others that have more or less destroyed some sports.

I will be on the Champs-Elysees on Sunday either way, hopefully drinking a toast to another English GC win and maybe Cav in the final sprint too? (provided nothing untoward happens to either of them in the meantime) :drinks:

You are just down the road. Staple Tye for me.

I used to ride to the train station each day, a smidge over 3 miles each way. I now get out a do 10 miles each night after work, Rye Hill Lane, Epping New Road, Epping Upland, Broadly Common and back down Southern Drive.

Yep, not far from the park inn.

Not been out the bike for sometime now, used to ride to work alot. 10 miles each way.

I think Froome is as clean as they come, whats more noticeable to me is how contador and schleck can no longer cut the mustard on the hills :whistling: ... Froomes efforts this year are all the more impressive given the declining number of team mates around him...Good luck to the man i really hope he wins :good:

Quintana at 23 in his first tour has to be one to to watch for the future :yes:

You are just down the road. Staple Tye for me.

I used to ride to the train station each day, a smidge over 3 miles each way. I now get out a do 10 miles each night after work, Rye Hill Lane, Epping New Road, Epping Upland, Broadly Common and back down Southern Drive.

I know it well, I've lived here all my life (yes, sad I know). A couple of my mate's used to live in paddock mead & moorfields. I used to ride out across the common & out to hatfield heath. I took up running cos the weather was so bad last year, just not got back on the bike yet.

Road or MTB?

Fancy a ride out sometime?

I know it well, I've lived here all my life (yes, sad I know). A couple of my mate's used to live in paddock mead & moorfields. I used to ride out across the common & out to hatfield heath. I took up running cos the weather was so bad last year, just not got back on the bike yet.

I think Froome is as clean as they come, whats more noticeable to me is how contador and schleck can no longer cut the mustard on the hills :whistling: ... Froomes efforts this year are all the more impressive given the declining number of team mates around him...Good luck to the man i really hope he wins :good:

That was a stage from hell even by Tour standards, apparently Froome needed oxygen when he got off his bike as for Quintana...

Quintanaexausted_zps8a789d81.png

Respect goes out to all that made it up the mountain after that approach, but those two were just incredible.

So Quintana does have a facial expression.

As you say, massive amounts of respect for all the field, I know how I feel sometimes after just 10 miles.

That was a stage from hell even by Tour standards, apparently Froome needed oxygen when he got off his bike as for Quintana...

Quintanaexausted_zps8a789d81.png

Respect goes out to all that made it up the mountain after that approach, but those two were just incredible.

I do tend to agree with you a lot of it could be down to both Froome and the funny little Quintana guy was borne at high altatude so have good strong lungs that little guy makes me laugh he is only about five foot tall and his face always looks the same he never seems to smile he is just like a little robot.

Schleck is recovering from a nasty accident (broken pelvis last year) and not back to full form. Back in 2011 when he 'won' after Alberto's steak incident he wasn't all that. A very poor time trialler and hardly attacked.

Quintana, although a fantastic climber, is a poor time trialler (he lost over 3mins to Froome on Wednesday) and also a bit shocking going downhil (look at his descent of the Pailheres). Unless the race organisers put up a parcours that has minimal time trialling he'll be no GC contender in France. Maybe the Giro. But yes, great to watch an attacking climber.

.....................or you !

Froome has just won stage 17, 9 seconds ahead of Contador, awesome!

Can't believe I lived all those years in ignorance of what a fantastic event the TdF is...

I am with you on that one I have been watching it now for three years god I love France it has everything they even trust there people to have hand guns I wish that I was younger I would love to move over there.

I think the only thing that can stop him winning is the weather if its going to be wet just a little slip and four minutes will disappear in no time mind you it is nice to see Contador giving him some competition.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

An epic stage today, a double ascent of alp d'huez.

ITV4 should be broadcasting the Vuelta a Espana in September, another 3 week 3,100km Grand Tour. They did last year.

Froome has just won stage 17, 9 seconds ahead of Contador, awesome!

Can't believe I lived all those years in ignorance of what a fantastic event the TdF is...

Edited by Penelope

We have been watching it for at least 20 years now [ :blush: ] it can get a bit addictive, I have to say I don't have the patience for the live broadcast so always watch the hour long ITV4 program. The hard part is avoiding hearing the result before 7pm.

Although UK viewer numbers have rocketed in the last few years, and despite the great results for us Brits, last years and this are not classics in terms of attacking cycling. Having said that the sprint on Sunday could be epic or a massive pile up

Well, in 50 minutes you can start watching what is probably the greatest stage ever.

The problem is most of the money is in football for some strange reason I would prefer to see cycling any day to seeing some people kicking a ball about for a teem that pretends to be English yet has no English players in there team.