Buzzards beaten to death!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He got off with it, the 70 days was suspended for 12 months.....shocking

We have set up Buzzard breeding sites on our permissions, thanks to farmers who see the good work these birds do.

They do take the odd gamebird but are more likely to feed on carrion or rodents.

Sick pointless act that has gone unpunished.

He got off with it, the 70 days was suspended for 12 months.....shocking

We have set up Buzzard breeding sites on our permissions, thanks to farmers who see the good work these birds do.

They do take the odd gamebird but are more likely to feed on carrion or rodents.

Sick pointless act that has gone unpunished.

Yes he broke the law but 70 days prison for killing 2 birds.

You wouldnt get 70 days for things like Burglary or driving whilst drunk

Yes he broke the law but 70 days prison for killing 2 birds.

You wouldnt get 70 days for things like Burglary or driving whilst drunk

I think it was for killing 7 birds - and he won't spend a single day behind bars as it was a suspended sentence. Oh, and people do regularly get more than 70 days for burglary.

It's a shame that the police seem intent in making criminals out of men that are up against it with raptors. game keeping is a hard job made harder with the current economic climate, and the continued increase in buzzard numbers I'm not saying he was right but how many successful prosecutions have cumbria police made in the shocking amount of deer poaching that happens daily everyone knows who commits the vast amount of deer poaching throughout Cumbria yet not one man has been jailed for it ( yet one prolific poacher brags in the pup pf making £15000 plus a year from deer)the only crimes that the wildlife crime officer seems bothered about are illegal raptor deaths , maybe its because the rspb do the hard work with video evidence

Also for everyone who thinks that a buzzard will only take a odd game bird knows nothing about keeping game birds they will take poults right through to full grow hen pheasants and they will bring there fledged young to a pen to teach them to hunt its not just the problem of the poults they kill directly but the fact that birds don't feel safe in there pen and fly out , then at last light the ones that return and jug on the edge of the pens can get mopped up by mr fox . I'm not sticking up for the guy but I know what it feels like to be under pressure to produce and being unable to do anything about the continued rise in buzzards ( how many licences have been granted to control buzzard numbers ) the guy has broke the law that's a fact but at the age if 64 he may of only been jailed for 70 days but what's his chance of finding another job and most-probably home when he is released

Edited by bjlfishing

He never went to jail....it was suspended for 12 months.

still more than Liklyy he lost his home, job and any chance of future employment probably won't be able to get any form of financial help ie dole as he was sacked from full time employment .( not many keepers will consider themselfs as financially wealthy men ) I find it sad that everyone is real quick to get on the computer and slate a man who was trying to keep his job under pressure to produce pheasants in times when shoots are folding at a rate of knots and keepers jobs are as rare a hens teeth and buzzards are as common as muck . Put yourself in his shoes not a nice place to be at that time if life he broke the law and was caught but what he has lost is far more than he deserves put it against a smack head burgler who gets let off time and time again due to the fact he has an addiction or the pedo who get two years Edited by bjlfishing

It's a shame that the police seem intent in making criminals out of men that are up against it with raptors. game keeping is a hard job made harder with the current economic climate, and the continued increase in buzzard numbers I'm not saying he was right but how many successful prosecutions have cumbria police made in the shocking amount of deer poaching that happens daily everyone knows who commits the vast amount of deer poaching throughout Cumbria yet not one man has been jailed for it ( yet one prolific poacher brags in the pup pf making £15000 plus a year from deer)the only crimes that the wildlife crime officer seems bothered about are illegal raptor deaths , maybe its because the rspb do the hard work with video evidence

Also for everyone who thinks that a buzzard will only take a odd game bird knows nothing about keeping game birds they will take poults right through to full grow hen pheasants and they will bring there fledged young to a pen to teach them to hunt its not just the problem of the poults they kill directly but the fact that birds don't feel safe in there pen and fly out , then at last light the ones that return and jug on the edge of the pens can get mopped up by mr fox . I'm not sticking up for the guy but I know what it feels like to be under pressure to produce and being unable to do anything about the continued rise in buzzards ( how many licences have been granted to control buzzard numbers ) the guy has broke the law that's a fact but at the age if 64 he may of only been jailed for 70 days but what's his chance of finding another job and most-probably home when he is released

+1

+1

i love to see all birds of pray and have owned them too but i would never touch any of them.. but i can also see why this sort of thing goes on so im on the fence with this one

still more than Liklyy he lost his home, job and any chance of future employment probably won't be able to get any form of financial help ie dole as he was sacked from full time employment .( not many keepers will consider themselfs as financially wealthy men ) I find it sad that everyone is real quick to get on the computer and slate a man who was trying to keep his job under pressure to produce pheasants in times when shoots are folding at a rate of knots and keepers jobs are as rare a hens teeth and buzzards are as common as muck . Put yourself in his shoes not a nice place to be at that time if life he broke the law and was caught but what he has lost is far more than he deserves put it against a smack head burgler who gets let off time and time again due to the fact he has an addiction or the pedo who get two years

Yes, I know what you are saying, but would you still be ok about it if it was a someone in a different profession? For example a small newsagents under pressure to keep a shop going selling smuggled fags and booze, or a restaurant owner passing cat off as chicken, or a mechanic welding to cars together for some easy money or even a stressed out and pressurised banker gambling with someone else's money?

What he did was wrong and saying he was under pressure is a cop out, we are probably all under pressure in our jobs - I know mine is on a knife edge - but we all have choices to make and he made a costly one.

We all have to live within the law whether the law is right or wrong.

Yes, I know what you are saying, but would you still be ok about it if it was a someone in a different profession? For example a small newsagents under pressure to keep a shop going selling smuggled fags and booze, or a restaurant owner passing cat off as chicken, or a mechanic welding to cars together for some easy money or even a stressed out and pressurised banker gambling with someone else's money?

What he did was wrong and saying he was under pressure is a cop out, we are probably all under pressure in our jobs - I know mine is on a knife edge - but we all have choices to make and he made a costly one.

We all have to live within the law whether the law is right or wrong.

Agreed, we must all abide by the law and wildlife crime is no different to any other.

However, your analogy comparing his crime with restaurants serving cats, welding doggy cars and fraud is a little off the mark. How heartbreaking it must be for a keeper to spend his days rearing birds only to watch them, day after day being killed by BOP. It can't be a lot different to a farmer watching his corn decimated by pigeons or a shepard watching foxes take his lambs. Except in those cases the law allows him to kill the pigeons and the fox.

Despite buzzard numbers being at an all time high and far from threatened it is almost impossible to get a license to cull. If we truly wish to put a stop to the illegal killing of buzzards the first step should be for NE to be more realistic in the issuing of cull licenses and for the RSPB to stop campaigning for BOP at the expense of other wildlife.

Perhaps then someone like this keeper could have got a license to cull them rather than resorting to breaking the law.

Lapwings are in decline but do not raise as much cash for the RSPB as BoP, neither are they a stick with which to beat the shooting community over the head with by playing on public sympathy. It's all about the wedge and politics.

I watch a dozen buzzards walking the field behind me looking for lapwing chick so whoi should we protect the lapwing chicks which are in decline or the buzzards which are a pest species really

couldent agree more.....but thats all ime saying on this thred i got put on the naughty step last time......

It's really a call for everyone to keep within the law or risk losing all you've worked for.

Game rearing / gameshooting is an industry run for profit, losing birds to raptors is tough but some would say that it is just a loss of profit.

Plently of landowners don't give a stuff about the game industry and work hard to maintain birds of prey on their land, having tunnel vision won't help whichever side of the fence you are on

As we all know predators do need control and the situation we have with badgers and certain birds of prey show that a blanket ban on control doesn't work and the licensing system should actually be employed where they are a problem. No one wants them wiped out but on the other hand keepers loose their jobs based on results and that is how they feed their families so it can be a hard choice to make. Stay law abiding and be out of work in a very harsh economy or break the law and look after your birds.

Personally this says to me anyone with a ladder trap wants to be careful as lets face it banging corvids on the head may be legal but you sure want to make sure you do it properly if you could be filmed

It's really a call for everyone to keep within the law or risk losing all you've worked for.

Game rearing / gameshooting is an industry run for profit, losing birds to raptors is tough but some would say that it is just a loss of profit.

Plently of landowners don't give a stuff about the game industry and work hard to maintain birds of prey on their land, having tunnel vision won't help whichever side of the fence you are on

Yet again another who just just does not or refuses to understand game shooting or predation by buzzards.

There are thousands of game shoots up and down the country, the vast majority of which are not business for profit organizations. Even for those who do turn a profit it's an uphill struggle and at the end of the day it's peoples jobs at risk let alone the wildlife friendly environment shoots create. To dismiss them as profit making industries beggars belief.

I find it incredulous that foxes, pigeons, crows are shot for sport because they reduce farming profits yet the very idea of controlling buzzards because they predate game birds is heresy. We live in a country where wildlife and flora has to be managed, fortunately Natural England realize and do issue licenses for controlling buzzards. The only problem is that the likes of the RSPB trot out their publicity machine everytime NE issue one, conveniently forgetting that they themselves use these very licenses to cull birds that predate on their flagship species. What we need is a joined up management plan that benefits both the Raptors themselves and the wider environment but as long as Raptors are considered sacrosanct we stand little chance of this happening.

Yet again another who just just does not or refuses to understand game shooting or predation by buzzards.

There are thousands of game shoots up and down the country, the vast majority of which are not business for profit organizations. Even for those who do turn a profit it's an uphill struggle and at the end of the day it's peoples jobs at risk let alone the wildlife friendly environment shoots create. To dismiss them as profit making industries beggars belief.

I find it incredulous that foxes, pigeons, crows are shot for sport because they reduce farming profits yet the very idea of controlling buzzards because they predate game birds is heresy. We live in a country where wildlife and flora has to be managed, fortunately Natural England realize and do issue licenses for controlling buzzards. The only problem is that the likes of the RSPB trot out their publicity machine everytime NE issue one, conveniently forgetting that they themselves use these very licenses to cull birds that predate on their flagship species. What we need is a joined up management plan that benefits both the Raptors themselves and the wider environment but as long as Raptors are considered sacrosanct we stand little chance of this happening.

+1. Natural england and the government are all for supporting and helping wildlife like grey partridge. However they agree to release these bloody things !!! No wonder they are not seeing any results !

he probably had a good reason to kill it. Although it was illegal he thought it would save a lot of time and money. However its cost him a lot. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on this matter. Personally i wouldn't kill a buzzard because it is illegal and they look nice. In the right place. However with running a shoot there is a huge disadvantage to having them around.

I think a permit license should be introduced to keepers providing that they can prove they are damaging birds. I would certainly apply for one !

However we have just got to weather it because it'll never happen !!!!

I don't see why as custodians of the countryside we have to just weather it rules that are made by people in towns that know nothing about the way the countryside works look at the trouble the bager cull has caused farmer being intimidated even a supermarket selling milk from non cull areas where are the country people fighting back just like all the other laws and rules put on us we sit back and take it say nowt look at the steel shot joke if a rule rspb making laws near enough with no evidence to back it up what did the shooting farming community do took it on the chin

This took place just 12 miles away from me,and was splashed all over the front page of out local weekly paper.He is not employed as a 'keeper,but does it on a voluntary basis for the syndicate he is a member of,and his sentence was suspended because he has terminal cancer and is also a carer for his wife who has MS.