dog wont retrieve

gerry

she is a lovely dog ,on the whistle and hand signs will go left, right,stop,sit recall straight back to me,this is my 1st dog for 25yrs perhaps iam a little to eager iwant her for pigeon shooting.the previous owner has 4 other springers and said he had her trained but she would not retrieve all the time and said shes not for him,when I took her out she works like crazy very alert and watching me all the time .for driving out game shes would be amazing .perhaps time will tell ps thanks

All trained she ain't but rather than picking holes tell us a bit more about her.

Much of training is handling for retrieving so I am intrigued as to what she does, and what you want to do with her.

Will she retrieve game?

At 13 months? She would have been 7 months old at the end of last season.

I would call off all of the training for the time being. She may have been over-trained by her previous owner. When the time comes for retrieves it has to be something personal to you to get her started like a tennis ball covered in one of your smelly socks, or your hat. Treat her as a friend not a machine.

At 13 months? She would have been 7 months old at the end of last season.

I would call off all of the training for the time being. She may have been over-trained by her previous owner. When the time comes for retrieves it has to be something personal to you to get her started like a tennis ball covered in one of your smelly socks, or your hat. Treat her as a friend not a machine.

No, I meant in practice with cold game etc lol

Go back to basics mate have your dog at heel then throw the dummy out so she sees it and before its just about to land click her off if this fails try teasing her abit with it I would worry about her running in at first just get her retrieving it then you can deal with the running in, where abouts in the country ate you

If the dog handles, left, right & back, I'd suspect at some point it's been retrieving, I'm not really sure how / why this would have been trained without a retrieve in place.

Does it run out to a thrown retrieve & then blink it?

Go right back to basics, get down on the floor & play with it. Try & find something it'll take off you, play tug with you, anything, dirty socks, your lasses knickers, absolutely anything, trial & error. I'd also stop it doing any hunting or doing any of the left, rights & backs whilst you get it to at least carry something. Give the dog it's only pleasure by playing with you. Start with it indoors or the garden, limited distractions.

If the dog handles, left, right & back, I'd suspect at some point it's been retrieving, I'm not really sure how / why this would have been trained without a retrieve in place.

That's what I was thinking. I would take some time to bond with the dog and see how you get on, if you can't get it enthusiastic about retrieving in a couple of weeks then make retrieving training the only off lead exercise it gets, it will learn to love it.

Go right back to basics, get down on the floor & play with it. Try & find something it'll take off you, play tug with you, anything, dirty socks, your lasses knickers, absolutely anything, trial & error. I'd also stop it doing any hunting or doing any of the left, rights & backs whilst you get it to at least carry something. Give the dog it's only pleasure by playing with you. Start with it indoors or the garden, limited distractions.

Good point

ive just been out a brought a dummy for her and threw it in my garden listened to all comments kindley made a ****** me she brought it back 1st time overjoyed left it like that and opened a can abeer many many thanks

ive just been out a brought a dummy for her and threw it in my garden listened to all comments kindley made a ****** me she brought it back 1st time overjoyed left it like that and opened a can abeer many many thanks

Nice one, build from there - she will come good.

Great news Gerry!

I was just about to comment that I've got a six year old springer bitch who has never ever been in the slightest bit interested in retrieving dummies or balls when out of the boring confines of the garden. In the garden she'll retrieve a ball or dummy a couple of times & then get bored. Game on the other hand, is a different story. She loves it and is my best picking up dog for when a gun tells me "Oh I've got a bird down in that wood - a long way back".

When she was young, I was beating at a friend's shoot with her & while she was going well hunting & flushing, she'd never retrieved anything for me and one of the other beaters had asked me if i trialled her & I replied that she wouldn't retrieve, so no. Ten minutes later we asked to look for a wounded bird down in a little spinney so with little hope, I sent her in to look. needless to say my non retrieving springer made a fool of me by bringing said bird straight back out!

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't panic - given the right circumstances and encouragement, the retrieving instinct will almost certainly switch on.

Good luck with her

TT

have a similar problem with my pup he loves to retrieve and will do great memory retrieves but the lil sod is a show boater and won't give them back to me i am only giving him retrieves now in narrow corridors/ paths so i can stop him running past me, he is slowly getting a bit better at coming back to me while he has a dummy in his mouth. i think it stems from him having a bad habit of eating/picking up pebbles as he has had to be opened up to remove a blockage so we are always after taking stuff off him so maybe he has the same ideas when it comes to a dummy?

My vizsla went through a stage of not retrieving after her first season and picking up game, gave her a rest then started again around other dogs who love to retrieve, she is a very jealous girl and would be itching to get a retrieve if she wasn't allowed one and another dog had one. Maybe she has done much if she is able to be directed in all directions already, as already said give her a rest and then make it as fun as you can, but by the sounds she is back on track

We had a springer given to us from a retired keeper lovely dog he was only used to drive birds in for the shoot. My father took him on a vermin shoot at local farm and some doves came over and 10 guns fired the dog so frightened he run off every one said dogs gun shy never be any good etc but with in the closed season he lost gun shyness, hunt out any game and retrieve so it is possible even once they over year old. The 1st thing we learnt was to kick him out of car about a half mile from woods and make him run (down farm track) as if we let him out in the woods he went of at such a rate every thing flushed out before we ready. He even chased a roe deer buck christ knows what he done if he caught it. On one shoot my father shot a hare the dog brought it back by dragging it as it was as big as him. What a good gun dog they said the people that said he's gun shy never be any good. So good luck and show love and pamper when he does well and you will have a great dog.

We had a springer given to us from a retired keeper lovely dog he was only used to drive birds in for the shoot. My father took him on a vermin shoot at local farm and some doves came over and 10 guns fired the dog so frightened he run off every one said dogs gun shy never be any good etc but with in the closed season he lost gun shyness, hunt out any game and retrieve so it is possible even once they over year old. The 1st thing we learnt was to kick him out of car about a half mile from woods and make him run (down farm track) as if we let him out in the woods he went of at such a rate every thing flushed out before we ready. He even chased a roe deer buck christ knows what he done if he caught it. On one shoot my father shot a hare the dog brought it back by dragging it as it was as big as him. What a good gun dog they said the people that said he's gun shy never be any good. So good luck and show love and pamper when he does well and you will have a great dog.

1+ :good: great post :good: