Dead pigeons just left

turbo33

I went to a farm I shoot yesterday to have a go at the pigeons piling into the wheat. On arrival, the place was devoid of pigeons which was very odd as there where large numbers when I reccy'd it two days earlier. After sitting in the truck for some time watching for a flightline to develop, I had a wander down the tram lines to a bare area in the centre of some 80x80 yards. The reasons for the lack of pigeons became apparent. Strewn all over the place were pigeon carcasses, just rotting and fly blown.

I could rant from all angles on this one, but in short, what's the point? Killing for the sake of it? If its the excitement of discharging a shotgun, clays are there for all to enjoy. I had a mixture of emotions from anger to great sadness seeing these most sporting of birds just rotting where they fell. There are so many off us that use skills, equipment and field craft to bag a few birds and put them to good use and it sickens me to know there are others that don't operate by the same principal but have access to carry out such abhorrent behaviour. I did take some pics, but you all know what a dead pigeon looks like and to be honest, it would have been quite distasteful to post them.

Just had to get it off my chest!!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SERIOUSLY, :mad: I have put in so much time and effort on my permission to ONLY get one pigeon from it off a flight line. I prepped it, put it to the pup for 20 minutes retrieving and then cooked the breast this morning as a topper for my omlette. My brother has taken the carcass to filter maggots for his fishing...

Annoys me so much. I'm sure it can't be too hard to get rid of pigeons, either game dealer, restaurants or give them away. If not, don't go shooting them in the first place. Rabbits are the same(not getting at anyone), there are loads of people on here that shoot rabbits and leave them lying in the field. Even if you don't eat them, you could feed them to your dog or give them away.

It is wrong, i pick up what I can and make use of them.

But.... its pest control. A dead rotting pigeon in a field is better than a live hungry pigeon chomping the wheat (in a farmers eyes)

I went to a farm I shoot yesterday to have a go at the pigeons piling into the wheat. On arrival, the place was devoid of pigeons which was very odd as there where large numbers when I reccy'd it two days earlier. After sitting in the truck for some time watching for a flightline to develop, I had a wander down the tram lines to a bare area in the centre of some 80x80 yards. The reasons for the lack of pigeons became apparent. Strewn all over the place were pigeon carcasses, just rotting and fly blown.

I could rant from all angles on this one, but in short, what's the point? Killing for the sake of it? If its the excitement of discharging a shotgun, clays are there for all to enjoy. I had a mixture of emotions from anger to great sadness seeing these most sporting of birds just rotting where they fell. There are so many off us that use skills, equipment and field craft to bag a few birds and put them to good use and it sickens me to know there are others that don't operate by the same principal but have access to carry out such abhorrent behaviour. I did take some pics, but you all know what a dead pigeon looks like and to be honest, it would have been quite distasteful to post them.

Not everyone shoots them for sport I don't it just vermin control and because I enjoy it

I must say I wouldn't just leaving them rotting out in the open

I agree with you 100% but I am afraid that there are plenty of shooters including some on this forum who have no issue with shooting them to leave to rot .

I agree with you 100% but I am afraid that there are plenty of shooters including some on this forum who have no issue with shooting them to leave to rot .

Agreed Fenboy, I'm just waiting for the plethora of replies, "They're only pigeons", "its Pest Control", "you don't do it someone else will mate"

Zero respect for the quarry and countryside.

It is wrong, i pick up what I can and make use of them.

But.... its pest control. A dead rotting pigeon in a field is better than a live hungry pigeon chomping the wheat (in a farmers eyes)

totally agree. i always try to use anything i shoot and if i can't it goes to the gamedealer or somebody's ferrets.

the sad reality is the farmer couldn't care less he/she just wants them gone one farmer i spoke to recently refered to pigeons as bad as rats :sad1:

I was going to make a post about 'personal limits' but here should do as its along the same lines.

Do people have a specific limit they will stop at in a day.

If i was to shoot 100 pigeons in a day I wouldn't have a clue what to do with them all and if no one will take them then where do I stand morally with the high and mighty posters of this fine forum?

Also where would you stand when it comes to the blacks, surely they just get dumped?

Edited by Martin&Oakley

Did you not read this post?

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/253609-what-a-difference-a-day-makes/

TEH

I was going to make a post about 'personal limits' but here should do as its along the same lines.

Do people have a specific limit they will stop at in a day.

If i was to shoot 100 pigeons in a day I wouldn't have a clue what to do with them all and if no one will take them then where do I stand morally with the high and mighty posters of this fine forum?

Also where would you stand when it comes to the blacks, surely they just get dumped?

Yes most corvids get dumped as do foxes, but they are not a excellent eating unlike the pigeon , game dealers buy pigeon if you cannot eat them all , they dont buy corvids .

As for limits , I will shoot all I can knowing I A, have a game dealer near by who will take them and B , I have the facility to freeze 200 + if I cant get to the dealer , these can then be sold frozen.

Second hand freezers can be picked up very cheaply and every serious pigeon shooter should have one.

Sad people shoot them and leave them, it's nothing more than laziness and a total disregard of life, shooting and country sports in general.

People asking "what do you do with them all"?

They know what to do with them but are to lazy to do so! Contact your local game dealer. They can't get enough of them, ask family friends and local pubs etc. wood pigeon is highly sort after and if you take time to ask around you will quickly find many people will take them.

To have a great days shooting and then giving your super fresh produce to the local pub for there diners is a great thing.

Or even try this! Cook them your self!

They taste great

#killitcookiteatit

I do not think that I would get on with the man who left those pigeons in the field. He and I would have a different moral outlook on life as well as the matter of dumping pigeons.

I exchanged the last lot of pigeons which I shot just before the hot weather with a local pub. 40 pigeons in exchange for dinner for two. Perfect.

Edited by JDog

Yes most corvids get dumped as do foxes, but they are not a excellent eating unlike the pigeon , game dealers buy pigeon if you cannot eat them all , they dont buy corvids .

As for limits , I will shoot all I can knowing I A, have a game dealer near by who will take them and B , I have the facility to freeze 200 + if I cant get to the dealer , these can then be sold frozen.

Second hand freezers can be picked up very cheaply and every serious pigeon shooter should have one.

Correct, I bought one off fleebay locally for 15 quid. It will take 140 birds. The nearest game dealer is about 45 mins drive from me. I get 35-40p a bird frozen so around 50 quid. After the fuel costs it still gives me a few quid for shells and a totally clear conscience. It means I can have a big day or a small day and use everything. The freezer is in my garage, but before I had one it lived happily outside, so all in all, no excuse.

Jdog, good system with the exchange, you old romantic :good: The pub owners around here are a bit stuffy and only buy plastic packed ones :lol:

Edited by turbo33

I said something very similar in a thread months ago, if you have nowhere to sell them or at least have a chest freezer or 2 to put them in until you do find a game dealer don't shoot them simple as that

A guy who has permission which backs onto mine throws all his pigeons, rabbits etc into a pile by the main gate where in go into mine.

It such a waste piles of bird rotting away and stinks in this weather

Spoke to him a couple of times about it when we meet at the shared gate and just get told to **** off. He,s a member on here, but does not realise i know, so i may get a reason now after this :whistling:

Here in Devon there are not many pigeons to shoot and I always pick up all the birds I can find. There are some that can not be found though. I have plenty of people who want them so I am never short of people to give them too. As I freeze and eat many I always make sure I get my fill first apart from the farmers I share them with. Its a win win situation for me.

I don't normally comment on pointless arguments like this, but a few of the comments are really bugging me. It all in my opinion depends on personal circumstances when involving picking up pigeons. Let me give you mine.

At this time of year I do not pick up my pigeons. I have no dog due to living arrangements at present. The amount of damage I cause to the crops when picking up shot birds will be far greater than if I leave them. An example of this has happened just the other day.

I have been shooting a field of peas from a bale hide. The bale hide is in the middle of the field and the peas are up to my waist. I am 6 foot tall with longish legs. I placed my decoys out in a normal horse shoe pattern. When I got back to the hide I shot 72 pigeon. If I had looked for every single bird the amount of damage that I would cause would be more than the pigeons cause in a few days of feeding.

I had a word with the farmer and he is in total agreement with me regarding the situation. As long as the pigeons are kept off his field and I cause as little damage as possible then that is all he is worried about. I am not the only person to shoot up there so if the crops are being trampled on 3 out of 7 days then you might as well leave the pigeons to chomp on the crops as they wouldn't do as much damage!

So it's not about laziness or lack of respect for our quarry, I believe it is a respect for the persons livihood you are trying to protect. I can see the bale hide from the farmers garden and you can see where everyone has used the same track to place there decoys out. This is 2 largish fields away. If I can see them then he can too. When crops have been harvested I will then pick up my birds and put them to good use.

I know I will be slated for my opinion and what I do but this is just it, my opinion my conscience my farmers wishes.

Pete