Bass fishing Aberdovey

oscarsdad

Having wasted too much fuel and time not catching anything much around our coastline for the last couple of years I have booked a guide for some inshore bass fishing on lures on flies next Sunday...hopefully the weather will hold and I will be posting lots of pictures of bass. He had 64 last Tuesday so I can't wait until Sunday now!

Heard the Bass have been in lately :good: its only 10 miles from me. Lot of bass in the dovey estuary its the river that runs into Aberdovey. Iv'e got all the shooting on the left before you get to Aberdovey. Welshwarrior has been shooting there with me. :good:

Heard the Bass have been in lately :good: its only 10 miles from me. Lot of bass in the dovey estuary its the river that runs into Aberdovey. Iv'e got all the shooting on the left before you get to Aberdovey. Welshwarrior has been shooting there with me. :good:

If we get into plenty of bass you are welcome to some fresh fish if you want some! I think we are going to camp at cae du at Rhoslefain on saturday evening if they have space - if the fishing is good there I will be back t camp again.

Edited by oscarsdad

If we get into plenty of bass you are welcome to some fresh fish if you want some!

No thanks bud,my son and friends catch plenty down there. Where are you camping is it Pennal,Cwrt, or Aberdovey atb Terry

If you not got camp site my mate whose land that down to estuary got a camp site i can pm you his number.

Edited by eccles

No thanks bud,my son and friends catch plenty down there. Where are you camping is it Pennal,Cwrt, or Aberdovey atb Terry

If you not got camp site my mate whose land that down to estuary got a camp site i can pm you his number.

Not organised it yet...the one I am looking is literally almost on the beach but would appreciate the suggestion as well please.

Thats Towyn bud other side of Aberdovey by the old quarry Thats is the disyni estuary and leave my rabbits alone down there. :lol::lol: shoot the land by the new bridge Hugh sandlands. :lol::lol:

Its a good place to fish down there,if you goggle up Aberdovey go north you will see another small estuary with a new bridge over it.Thats if goggle is up to date you can't drive over it though,just a foot bridge and horses etc. Thats where you guide will take you most prob.

Edited by eccles

Thats Towyn bud other side of Aberdovey by the old quarry Thats is the disyni estuary and leave my rabbits alone down there. :lol::lol: shoot the land by the new bridge Hugh sandlands. :lol::lol:

The only rabbits that get it when I'm camping are the ones that don't escape the terrier and the dogs are staying at home so your bunnies are safe lol!

If you want a nice view when you coming,you will come through a village called Pennal carry on then a smaller village called Cwrt you come over a bendy bridge up a hill then at the top take a right turn. Its the mountain road to Tywyn nice up there got a few cousins farming up there. Comes out 1/2 mile from Tywyn. Then you can go back through Aberdovey on way back.

post-40804-0-17751800-1374442150_thumb.jpg This is a pic of my mates site its 1/2 mile passed Cwrt on Aberdovey road not mountain road. Shot some foxes and rabbits on this farm over the years great for woodcock in season.

Its a good place to fish down there,if you goggle up Aberdovey go north you will see another small estuary with a new bridge over it.Thats if goggle is up to date you can't drive over it though,just a foot bridge and horses etc. Thats where you guide will take you most prob.

Hi Terry

That brings back a few memories Terry mate, your rabbits used to be my rabbits back in the day(40 yrs ago) and between Morfa camp and the Dysynni used to be superb for snipe I spent many a day walking them up there used to be hundreds and hundreds of them there.I used to go out at night on Aberdovey golf course. Cwrt too, Aled and Will Rees's family used to farm there. They were both in my class at school and we played in the same rugby team.Do you know who is doing the guiding for bass,just interested really.I keep saying I must visit it has been 6 or 7 years since I have been back.Going back a few years ago me and a mate caught 35 bass off the mouth of the Dysynni from a small dinghy we kept 2 each and put the rest back.If someone took 64 bass in one session I hope the majority of them were put back alive if not he wants his legs broken as it is just stupidity and greed to take that many home.That's my trip down memory lane done.

Geordie

A brief write up of our bass fishing trip in Wales

Work really dragged this last week, in the anticipation of the fishing trip planned for the weekend. Many lists of kit needed were written, re-written and then left at work so written again and eventually 1500 Friday crawled into view

We had a boat trip booked on a little boat out of Aberdovey targeting bass with lures and fly rods I had never caught at a bass on a lure or a fly before so was really looking forward to it (I have caught hundreds on beach gear but they dont really get much of an opportunity to show how sporting they are).

So sarnies made and packed, camping stuff in the car, car filled up and dogs walked (and looking very disappointed that they were not coming) my brother and I set off at lunchtime on Saturday. Quite a pleasant drive across mid-Wales via Welshpool (with an entertaining road rage incident in front of us between two elderly disabled drivers shouting and screaming at each other as one slightly cut up the other!) and via the Dovey estuary into Aberdovey. A brief recce to see where we were getting the boat from and then we carried on to Barrys Tackle in Tywyn to get some bait for a bit of beach fishing by the campsite. With a couple of packets of eels in the cooler we carried on up the cost a little to try to find our campsite. A few wrong turns down some very narrow lanes brought us around in a big circle and back onto the main road and then we eventually found out site as we saw it from the road, perched on the small cliff overlooking the beach with the mountains of Snowdonia National Park behind us in a lovely setting.

Tent up in about 2 minutes (my new pop up tent is great) and then we have the beach gear sorted and off down to the beach for our first fish of the trip.

The beach was very very rocky and looked like it was going to get expensive with tackle losses so we slipped and slid our way north a little over the rocks which threatened ankles at every step until we found a patch of sand. Tripod up and baits out and weed, weed and some more weed was on the lines immediately. My brother had a good knock and we assumed weed but along with the weed he also pulled in a perfect little school bass. This is a good start we both though, 1 cast and one fish. Sadly this was the only fish we saw and the weed got worse so we spent more time pulling weed off tip rings and leader knots than we did fishing so when it started to rain quite heavily we packed up slid our way back to the tent over the now treacherous wet rocks.

Dinner, beer, bed. Mat the fishing guide called when I miraculously had a signal and said the weather forecast was that the sea state was going to be unpleasant and 20mph winds by lunch so we would reduce the trip to 4 hours not 8 and start at 8am not 5am a little relieved that we didnt have to rise at silly of clock we hit the hay to the sound of heavy rain on the tent and the waves hitting the cliff 30ft from the tent.

After a not very good nights sleep due to some very drunk noisey campers, the alarm went off at 0700 and we were packed up and ready to go by 0730 top tip herecheck all of the interior pockets of your new pop up tent before you fold it all up. The whole this was down in 3 minutes and packed away, but my brothers sunglasses were in the storage pocket of the tent! Another 5 minutes sorting that and we were away. Weather looked ok, a bit grey but the sea state was only slight.

15 minute drive and we were parked up in Aberdovey, the all-important morning ablutions completed and we headed over to the jetty. On the way over a chap who ran the big charter boat out of there questioned whether we were going out and warned us he had cancelled his trip and that the weather was going to kick off and become unpleasantnot a good start then!

We met Mat at the jetty and climbed aboard his little boat he was confident we would get some fishing in but we would keep an eye on the weather, we were only fishing in the estuary so could easily get back in should the weather kick off.

After about 5 minutes of motoring towards the estuary mouth we set up on our first drift, my brother using a sinking stick bait and me trying a surface lure to start with. After about 20 minutes of drifting and then repositioning the boat and more casting whilst on the drift things were not looking great, I was getting concerned that the rainwater had put a dampener on the fishing as well as the tent

BANGfish on! I had changed to a sinking lure as it was too choppy for surface lures and a small scrappy schoolie had nailed in the channel alongside the sand bar. First fish boated and sprits rose in the anticipation of a good day.

The tide was starting to flood over the sand bar and that was where the fish were but unfortunately the wind was continuously pushing the boat off the sand bar so it became a process of get in close with Mats skilful boat handling, get a cast onto the sand bar ASAP and then by the time you had had a second cast it was time to re-position the boat. It was very much a case of if you got your lure into the right place, you were rewarded with a basson two occasions both my brother and I had fish hooked up.

By 1200 we had had about 20 fish and the tide had flooded and fishing started to tail off, we were getting a fish a drift at one stage but it tailed off. The weather was glorious and we were fishing in T-shirts, no sign of the wind or increasing tide state and we had a great mornings fishing with Mat. Plenty of good scraps, nothing huge but all of the fish fought well on the balanced tackle and light braid..my brother even managed to catch a nice Garfish which he fowl hooked by accidentally landing his lure on top of it!

There was a little red dingy out there fishing with two guys in it, very entertaining to watch as they caught plenty of fish but were somewhat incompetent at getting them into the boat as they kept winding them up to their tip ring then swinging them about a lot trying to grab hold of them! We were also pretty confident that they were keeping undersize fish which was not a nice thing to see we only kept 3 on our boat and my farmer was very pleased to received one of them last night on the way home.

So I cannot recommend enough the little boat out of Aberdovey if you want some light tackle bass fishing Mat was a great guide (into his shooting as well) and could have easily had more cash off us and taken us out for 8 hours with no fish for 4 of them but he didnt and reduced the trip and got us on the fish. I dont know if I can link to his website on here or not but you can PM me for details. When he sends me the pics of us fishing I will put them up as well so you can see the lovely backdrop of Snowdonia National park from the estuary.

Some pics:

The view from the tent:

null-10.jpg

The very rocky beach (which is apparently very good for spinning for bass so will have to try that)

null-12.jpg

null-15.jpg

null-20.jpg

Brother's very small bass

null-14.jpg

how nice it was in Aberdovey

null-23.jpg

When I get the pics of the fish off the boat I will post them as well.

Hi Terry

That brings back a few memories Terry mate, your rabbits used to be my rabbits back in the day(40 yrs ago) and between Morfa camp and the Dysynni used to be superb for snipe I spent many a day walking them up there used to be hundreds and hundreds of them there.I used to go out at night on Aberdovey golf course. Cwrt too, Aled and Will Rees's family used to farm there. They were both in my class at school and we played in the same rugby team.Do you know who is doing the guiding for bass,just interested really.I keep saying I must visit it has been 6 or 7 years since I have been back.Going back a few years ago me and a mate caught 35 bass off the mouth of the Dysynni from a small dinghy we kept 2 each and put the rest back.If someone took 64 bass in one session I hope the majority of them were put back alive if not he wants his legs broken as it is just stupidity and greed to take that many home.That's my trip down memory lane done.

Geordie

None of those bass were kept mate-I would agree with you no one should keep that many! We kept 3 yesterday and put back plenty of sizeable fish. Sadly there was a dingy out there as well as us and they appeared to be keeping pretty much everything they caught as far as we could see - our guide (Mat) thought they would probably flog them. Somebody needs to start policing what people are taking as if it's like that every tide then the population is going to fall dramatically.

Anthony

Nice write up and pics bud. You must have been camping not far from the old quarry. That is a narrow road. :lol: Did you see the new bridge that the have built over the Dysynni.

Aberdovey is nice bud its dead in the winter you won't see any sunbathers. :lol::lol: atvb Terry

Nice write up and pics bud. You must have been camping not far from the old quarry. That is a narrow road. :lol: Did you see the new bridge that the have built over the Dysynni.

Aberdovey is nice bud its dead in the winter you won't see any sunbathers. :lol::lol: atvb Terry

Yep we saw the new bridge-the pedestrian one? We went right past it on a very narrow road which took us in a circle and not to the campsite. I am not sure if the site is near a quarry, could be, it has the railway line at the back of it which you have to drive under to get to the campsite - if we come again we will go to your mate's one I think which I saw from the road - the beach where we were would be hopeless for the dogs (and my cocker would probably knock himself out being a looney) and there were a few too many loud drunks on the site for my liking lol!

I forgot to mention as well, we saw a pod of dolphins yesterday afternoon about 60yds off the beach at Tywyn which was nice to see, I have seen them from boats before but never that close to the shore

Edited by oscarsdad

Hi Terry

Geordie

Hi Geordie think a lot shoot down on Hugh Sandy Lands ground ,he married a girl from Penegoes my old next door neighbour . Good place to train young spaniels along them drainage ditches. Aled and Will still there bud Aleds sons now farming it and looking after the caravan park. Its Will shed you can see in pic i put up.Both Aleds and Wills dads have past away,i built ***** bungalow. Wills brother does all the farming Will is into building etc now. You will have to come home soon bud,we can catch on old times and do some shooting. My uncle used to graze the golf club think the sons still do Geraint,and John Erapistill above Aberdovey ,Johns lives in Duffrin Gwyn Happy Valley now. ATVB Bud Terry

Yep we saw the new bridge-the pedestrian one? We went right past it on a very narrow road which took us in a circle and not to the campsite. I am not sure if the site is near a quarry, could be, it has the railway line at the back of it which you have to drive under to get to the campsite - if we come again we will go to your mate's one I think which I saw from the road - the beach where we were would be hopeless for the dogs (and my cocker would probably knock himself out being a looney) and there were a few too many loud drunks on the site for my liking lol!

I forgot to mention as well, we saw a pod of dolphins yesterday afternoon about 60yds off the beach at Tywyn which was nice to see, I have seen them from boats before but never that close to the shore

Hi Ant you don't have to book in at my mates site. Just see John and say you Terry Eccles is mate. :lol: nice quiet site the have a web site now Cefn Crib Camping just goggle it up. I might even let you do some shooting there. :lol: good place for woodcock in season. I built John's bungalow and his brothers Arwyn's House. iv'e got their number if you need to ring them.Terry

Hi Ant you don't have to book in at my mates site. Just see John and say you Terry Eccles is mate. :lol: nice quiet site the have a web site now Cefn Crib Camping just goggle it up. I might even let you do some shooting there. :lol: good place for woodcock in season. I built John's bungalow and his brothers Arwyn's House. iv'e got their number if you need to ring them.Terry

Cheers Terry, much appreciated

Cheers Terry, much appreciated

If you pass the caravan site go on for about 1/2 mile you will see a double gate facing you,you can park on the grass verge away from gates. Go through the gates you will see the estuary and track leading to it, hedge both sides follow that over the railway then you can fish the estuary. Close all gates if open leave open but close the one's over line. If Ron my mate or his 2 sons say eccles said you can walk down there. Don't take anyone else with you all been banned from going that way. I shoot a lot of geese on the field next to the marsh brill on a full moon and a great place for foxing. Terry.

Was talking to tiny this morning in cafe said you been up fishing. He mentioned his name and others who boat fished from Aberdovey. Mat was not in the Dovey Wildfowlers when i was a Treasurer for years,but he may have joined since,or he is in the Dysynni one. If he goes beating he must be on the 1 with Mike Owen,Lawrence and them or with Greaves on his only shoot that way.I ain't shot the estuary for years had to give it up bad back did not fancy getting stuck in the tide. :lol: Ours was otherside of the estuary below glandyfi to borth.

By the way i call him tiny because he's 6 foot 6in :lol::lol: not much i don't know about in the area lived he all my life. :lol: atb Terry

thats a cracking write up and some nice pics oscarsdad , im up there again this weekend and all next week, hopefully the weather will be calm enough for me to get out on the kayak and test my new modifications , weve been going to tywyn for years , we either camp or caravan at ysgoburia (sp) my lad fishes the river but i tend to just fish from the beach or kayak , could you pm me the guides website details if you have time please mate.

eccles , if youve got the shooting in the field behind the spa shop in tywyn you need to get on them rabbits mate lol , it was alive with them last weekend :good:

thats a cracking write up and some nice pics oscarsdad , im up there again this weekend and all next week, hopefully the weather will be calm enough for me to get out on the kayak and test my new modifications , weve been going to tywyn for years , we either camp or caravan at ysgoburia (sp) my lad fishes the river but i tend to just fish from the beach or kayak , could you pm me the guides website details if you have time please mate.

eccles , if youve got the shooting in the field behind the spa shop in tywyn you need to get on them rabbits mate lol , it was alive with them last weekend :good:

:lol::lol: can't keep the rabbits down my way,they are everywhere. :lol: Think thats Hugh' Sandylands his brother is in the farm by Travis Perkins not been down there this year. Will ring Hugh to find' out i'll take his son he's just started shooting.Plenty of crows usually there to but people complain about the banging. :lol::lol::lol: