Pancreatitis

wymberley

From nowhere the wife gets a text from a mate saying that she'd been whipped into hospital with the acute version of the illness and wasn't feeling too chipper. She's had several texts over the past few days but nothing today. She was a bit worried so rang her mate's mum. She's so so but might kiss goodbye to her gall bladder BUT out of the blue there's now FOUR patients in with it. Bit of a to-do and they're beginning to wonder if it can be weather (heat) orientated.

Had acute pancreatitis myself - very painful - most common causes are gall stones - leading to removal of gall bladder or alcohol (not necessarily excessive alcohol use). I`ve just had gall bladder removed - now recovering. Wouldn't be related to the weather - just coincidence. Can be a very nasty illness - depending on degree of the acuteness.

James Beck ( Private Walker in Dads Army) died of that at age 44. Its serious. He was dead in three days

James Beck was a hopeless alcoholic. I know of two people who went into hospital with this and both came out in a box. Oddly enough they were alcoholics as well, had been since their teens, dead at 40 and 42.

When I was in hospital having my appendix out a bloke came in with pancreatitis. He wasn't an alcoholic and he went home before I did. Pancreatitis isn't fatal, alcoholism is. Just a question of when.

Gimlet -agree - I know a lot about alcoholism from personal experience - yes it can be fatal - so is acute pancreatitis - it depends what type it is and how bad the attack - mortality rates vary between 10 - 20% (% depends which doctor you speak and as I say type of pancreatitis)