What's your kill ratio ???

Lg1

Hand on hart I'm a 50% type of guy, for every 100 shots ill drop 50 pigeons give or take! Plenty of room for improvement and ironing out silly mistakes. Question is what's your ratio ????

Interesting to see what level you guys shoot at!

Lets have look!!!!!

Its a subjective question in some ways. I would like to think I'm generally around the same ballpark as Sitsinhedges. I do stack the odds in my favour by waiting for the optimum time before pulling the trigger, especially if they are decoying well, so the average goes up. Less when roost shooting high birds with a tail wind.

On a good day decoying 1 for 1.5 shots and on a bad day 1 for 3.

Strangely for clays on a good day 90% and on a bad day 70%

Clays seem far easier for some reason ???

Probably because they don't bleed :oops:

currently averaging one in four and for some reason hitting more pigeons with the 2nd shot.. :/ Improving though and more importantly really enjoying it... :good:

I think that's because you shoot behind for the first shot then swing thru quicker as the pigeon disappears so you end up giving more lead and nailing it :good:

It's good your enjoying it steveyg! I think that a few people miss that first shot by been over excited. It's when you then try and shoot a flaring bird with the second that causes a worse ratio.

If you miss the first try not to make a super shot with the second! Just let the bird go and wait for the next. You'll probably find you'll drop a shot of that ratio pretty fast.

Well done anyway, nice and honest

It's good your enjoying it steveyg! I think that a few people miss that first shot by been over excited. It's when you then try and shoot a flaring bird with the second that causes a worse ratio.

If you miss the first try not to make a super shot with the second! Just let the bird go and wait for the next. You'll probably find you'll drop a shot of that ratio pretty fast.

Well done anyway, nice and honest

Cheers Lg1

No point in telling porkies..I have had limited opportunities with large numbers of birds so have been chasing the bird with the 2nd shot. Things are improving though..bring on the harvest

I am usually somewhere around the 2 for 3 mark , better or worse depending on lots of variables .

The other week I was shooting like a plank then my auto started to play up ( just some dirt in the magazine tube) and it reduced me to one shot at a time , from then on I was more focused and hardly missed a thing !

On a good day decoying 1 for 1.5 shots and on a bad day 1 for 3.

Strangely for clays on a good day 90% and on a bad day 70%

Clays seem far easier for some reason ???

I'm the opposite, I find clay very stressful, I run about a 1/3 for clay which is terrible, 1/2 on a good day on pigeon, but have bad days mostly.

i guess your right because we are out in the real world and if people are like me which i suspect they are if i wing a bird then i fire another shot to kill it

i dont like to see any animal suffer i will always use another shot if i have to or if i have my air rifle with me i will use that if the bird as landed on the ground to make sure its not suffering.

Daz

currently averaging one in four and for some reason hitting more pigeons with the 2nd shot.. :/ Improving though and more importantly really enjoying it... :good:

I reckon you're perhaps trying too hard to kill the first bird - perhaps aiming a bit too much. Instinct takes over more on the second shot. I used to shoot a bit like that.

And don't think,'if i miss,miss in front', - that's a bad way to look at things. If you're missing behind too much, spend a few hours on some crossing targets - maybe stand 4 on skeet. That will sharpen you up no end.

I reckon you're perhaps trying too hard to kill the first bird - perhaps aiming a bit too much. Instinct takes over more on the second shot. I used to shoot a bit like that.

And don't think,'if i miss,miss in front', - that's a bad way to look at things. If you're missing behind too much, spend a few hours on some crossing targets - maybe stand 4 on skeet. That will sharpen you up no end.

cheers motty, I think you are right...I am trying to hard. The miss in front strap line is to help me try to hit the bird where its going not where its been... :good: