How are your birds doing !

We are finding the weather has helped enormously this year although maintaining water supply needs a couple of visits a day. Very few birds have left the pen after 4 weeks. We are trying a black neck variety and I'm wondering if we may have to shoot them on the ground they are so laid back and happy !

What are yours like ? We have no disease - touch wood - trust you are all as lucky.

Cheers

Edited by Kes

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Opened our pop-holes about two weeks ago and pen is now completely empty of pheasants,and most of the Partridge have now gone also.Last years cocks were enticing the hens out and they came and went as they pleased so we opened the pop-holes to make it easier for them.Some venture back in from time to time but mostly they have disappeared;funny how they all start to turn up again prior to the season ......fingers crossed! :)

our birds are looking very good, happy bright but laid back, no major problems to speak of but we have a piped untreated water supply which needs a bit of attension with virkon s from time to time

we don't close pop holes just dog in every night, and looking around the pens tonight they're all there

eating loads of food!

Our poults was very happy on release day but already the day after they were very shy.

They will only use the feeders and do not search the ground which i also feed on. Yesterday they seemed to be a bit more happy but today the pen had been attacked by a buzzard or something leaving the poults scared a have not eaten all of the feed. I only found one dead poult that also was pecked for feathers.

I am using SCA grower pellets and usually the poults loves it.

Any advice you guys have would be warmed welcomed

My ducks are fine ,eating food like only ducks can and are just starting to fly ,but then ducks always do well.

Pheasants are very good this year unlike last year when they had just about every disease going due to the wet weather, the pen is on mains water into a header tank which is just as well they drank 600 litres in two days during the very hot spell.

The maize is just staring to take off and grow properly but the blocks of Utopia on the ends of the maize have strugled due to the lack of rain and now we have had it I suspect it will grow ,unfortunatley the poults are now out and heading towards the nearest block and will eat every last bit ( just like they did on the farmers rape two years ago ).

Partridge due in any time now but as the pens are on maize I am not chasing for delivery as every day will help with the growth inside , harvest is going to be late so catching up with the foxes is hard just have to try and get them on the headlands .

Pheasants are doing well considering they have only had one dry night. Eating lots of food but wasted a lot from the spirals we had in the hoppers now changed and having to work a bit harder. The only good thing about the rain is it keeps the buzzards off the pheasants. Then the sun comes out and they are nervous wrecks again.

Ducks coming this weekend

Pheasants are doing well considering they have only had one dry night. Eating lots of food but wasted a lot from the spirals we had in the hoppers now changed and having to work a bit harder. The only good thing about the rain is it keeps the buzzards off the pheasants. Then the sun comes out and they are nervous wrecks again.

Ducks coming this weekend

Isn't that late to put down ducks? Of cause it depends on when you want to shoot them

Birds arrived yesterday everything fine this morning. checked the first pen this afternoon everything fine birds happy, second pen seemed quiet as I approached went in and as I was walking through the pen Buzzard took off and one eaten poult the second half eaten rest of the birds huddled together in one corner. Brds are 7 weeks old and wings clipped.

We have CDs hanging everywhere going to put some netting up Tom and kiddies windmills any other suggestions?

Edited by ostrea

Just back from checking mine,went out about 8 30 with dogs and spotted fox heading towards my pen!!

First night I never took rifle.

Got radios playing all night around pen so hopefully this will keep it away.

Be out first light.

Up date on my earlier post.

Partridge arrived Saturday and so far are all ok.

Does any one know why they peck at the wooden boards at the bottom of the pen sections I have thought abut this for years and still havent come up with an answer.

Pheasants and ducks continue to do well ,maize is growing but the utopia is still very poor and looks like it will not be much use.

Update on ours, must be about six weeks since we received our pheasants and they started to leave the pen about 2 weeks ago. Still plenty in the pen but maybe 50%. Wheat out in the feeders on drives and they must be wandering a bit as our neighbour has set up his feeders to attract them to his land adjacent. Some people are just not sportsmen - he puts none down.

So far no major problems - birds are big and healthy - we had a gapes scare but treated immediately and saw no more. The weather here has been just about perfect not much rain early a bit later to help the cover crops (which I thought were lost at one stage), plenty of sun and birds which like home.

Lets hope the good things translate into a good shooting season. Good luck to all keepers.

The wild pheasants up here in Orkney have had a good season & I have seen clutches all over despite what some on here moan about winged predators ! , just seen 5 wild poults from where I sit at my pc & we have all sorts of birds of prey .

But the farmer next door told me of a case when a shooting friend of his slowed down in his car to let a hen & her poults cross the country road when a car came from behind & just ran over the lot , blind idiot drivers are a bigger threat to pheasant stocks than birds of prey :/ .