How are your birds doing !

We've a bit of coxcy too. Lost about 50 in total so far out of about 400.

A neighbouring shoot who uses the same dealer has also had losses due to coxcy. Bit annoyed really as its plainly obvious the birds were infected beforehand. But as we all know keeping pheasants is a gamble at times.

Mr buzzard has also had a feed on a few occasions.

All birds will get cocci as they need to develop immunity ... Clinical disease levels are often due to secondary factors.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well our ex-layers are out and about. We now have a few small pens with some poults in and most of them are looking good although some are looking a bit scraggley.

We had 25 poults in a small panel pen and a mink got in and killed all but three of them so i have talked the land owner into getting some traps and hopefully we will be able to get on top of them. Where the mink attracted is right near a pond which last year held a nice number of wild duck but is now devoid of life.

Good news though the wild pheasants seem to have been breeding well and there are a good number of partridge about and we haven't released them on the shoot for 20 years.

To be losing that many to Coxy they must have had it a while. I dose mine on a precautionary level before they go out to pen as I rear them but they showed signs at about 4 weeks also. All are 12 weeks old now and are big strong birds (touch wood). Will be lifting pen wire next week.

Had partridges come Tuesday, desperately will need to get some out ASAP but nothing cut here yet so abit of a nightmare! Ducks are 16 weeks old and are flying very very strongly and are about a week or two before fully coloured up.

Not long now guys!!

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry only getting back to you's now. The med was Coccibal. Thankfully we got on top of it and the dealer replaced all dead birds and paid for the med, can't ask for more than that. It took a full weeks treatment to turn the tide. I will be Dosing for it as soon as we get our poults next year. I think with the late spring/late delivery of poults and this cocci set back our birds will be left until Nov before we start shooting, anyone else on same boat??

• 3 weeks later...

Pheasants have been doing great. Eating loads of food and no birds escaping on the usual routes, untill yesterday. This lovely weather and hedge rows full of fruit are not helping.

One man in a house on the shoot boundary seen 250 cross the road yesterday...... hope the came back but didnt see loads today

Bring on the wind and rain haha

Very worried this time to be honest, my shoot is quite small, under 200 acres, so holding birds is normally difficult but this year is the worse I have experienced with roughly only 50 out of 300 pheasant poults still in evidence. The others have just gone, 60 acres of beans over the boundary one way and 10 acre of sprouts on the other boundary cannot be .........

Edited by scolopax

We apear to have a lot of juvenile birds from late broods on rough shoot,of which we seem to have had quite a few,but the ex-layers seem to be thriving.Started feeding a couple of weeks ago but don't think we'll be starting shooting for a few weeks yet,(and no one bordering us is in any particular rush either from all accounts) but this could change as landowner is keen to get going!

Sunflowers are starting to droop now and cover crops are bursting with seeds(the Quinoa?spelling)looks amazing and the song birds are plump! Things are looking good but fingers are still crossed.

Syndicate shoot days don't start 'til November 2nd.

Been dogging in recently, birds about but not clear yet how many we have kept. Loads of food been eaten from TH's in cover woods.

Still worried that we have lost a lot to neighbouring maize and hope that when that comes off (cant be long now) the birds will return in numbers.

Have been told that forage harvesters hoover them up and thats that. One contractor said he had 60 through his machine in a 10 acre field - anyone else heard of losses due to cutting maize ?

Star shooting next week so we shall see !

Good luck for the season to all of you up at night worrying !

start in two weeks

we have two pens ,one is lifting with birds but the other is devoid of life ...they seemed to have moved into one wood

ducks are doing well on one pond but have had mink problems on the other, so the ducks have moved to a flash in the next field..now the mink has gone they may come back

As Paul223 has said birds look great and holding well this year but have heard of a lot of other shoots where birds are late to colour up and not ready for a few weeks yet even days cancelled and re booked .

Hope you all have a great season :good:

Edited by magman