Steel Shot with Fibre Wad

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11 September 2019 at 17:46, Tony Hazell said:

Hi all, I have asked gun shops, and the three big cartridge manufacturers, When are they going to make a 20 bore Fibre cartridge for shooting Duck, IE: Non-toxic in Fibre for a 20 bore, The only thing I can find is Bismuth, and that is not upto killing Ducks cleanly, at anything over 25yds

Like London Best, I too have shot many duck over 25 yards with Bismuth, so we both must have been very very lucky :whistling:

OB

hello, some time back on PW it was mention on the Decathlon UK web site they were about to sell cartridges and showed a range of game and clay, despite the error it was noted on the cost between UK and France, seems here even the cheapest lead cartridge is nigh on £200 per 1000, steel being cheaper but do not reflect on cartridge prices, i have just look on Decathlon France and a box of cheap 6s is about 6 euro, i could not find any price per 1000 but i am sure the french shooting people buy in bulk, so would it pay to go over the channel and buy in bulk,  is that legal ? note the range of cartridges sold in Decathlon is quite impressive,

57 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, some time back on PW it was mention on the Decathlon UK web site they were about to sell cartridges and showed a range of game and clay, despite the error it was noted on the cost between UK and France, seems here even the cheapest lead cartridge is nigh on £200 per 1000, steel being cheaper but do not reflect on cartridge prices, i have just look on Decathlon France and a box of cheap 6s is about 6 euro, i could not find any price per 1000 but i am sure the french shooting people buy in bulk, so would it pay to go over the channel and buy in bulk,  is that legal ? note the range of cartridges sold in Decathlon is quite impressive,

If you live near the tunnel then great idea to go to Calais and buy what you want. The choice is much greater than here especially with non toxic.

Normal game loads are more expensive than here and Clay loads are the same. Don’t generally find fibre wads either, all plastic 

On 28/09/2019 at 08:40, JDog said:

It is right to stay within the law but that is a hefty price to pay for it. If you had 30 shots in a day, easily done on those snipe bogs, at say one bird every four shots each of those tiny birds in your pocket will have cost you over £3:00. Savour each mouthful.

Will often be closer to 10:1 when driven! I think what gets me is that as someone wrote on the previous page, it's not like steel is a high cost alternative. You can understand the price differential if it was. And to frontload all the cost of development tooling etc on the product is surely a mistake. If it was a comparable price point I'm sure a lot more people would be minded to try it.

Looked on Just Cartridges, rarely the cheapest but Eley VIP Steel 32g are £221.00 thousand and my favourite Gamebore Super Steel at £236.00 thousand.

These new eley eco wads are nearly as expensive as a whole other eley steel cartridge. The plot has been lost. I would not buy them over other cartridges at near double the price. 

The Eley Eco Wad carts are £369.00 thousand.

Edited by figgy

We may all have no choice if the EU get their way, they are calling for a total ban on the use of lead in shot and ammunition within the next couple of years, then the talk in Denmark which have already banned the use of lead, is to ban traditional plastic wads as they are littering the foreshore, will only leave the eco wads or the gamebore tube type fibre cups. Wild Justice is also pushing at every opportunity to ban lead in shot and ammunition.

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/news/eu-moving-towards-outright-ban-lead-shot-107769#RwFtllFQ1GYI7Bqi.99

Also eley did not invent the eco wad they were about in 2013 invented in Spain with a big EU grant, Armusa were I think the first to use the wads and purbeck shooting ground were first to sell them in the UK, they were expensive then also.