What's all of this blowing down the barrel malarkey?

This cannot be done for no viable reason whatsoever, apart from blowing cold air onto a hot surface which would cause moisture.

Maybe they are trying to put the other shooters off due to aching ribs..... :)

On paper will do more harm than good but if the blower has a viable reason I would love to hear it.....

And before the shooter saying checking barrel for blockages, maybe your missing to much....

Been shooting 25 yrs and never had a blocking one of one of my tubes ;)

Hope you never have one in the future to or you may end up missing a bone or to :/

Ps, do me a favour if you ever hear a flat sounding shot stop and check your barrels are clear ,just in case . i have never had a blockage but it never hurts to check :good:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope you never have one in the future to or you may end up missing a bone or to :/

Ps, do me a favour if you ever hear a flat sounding shot stop and check your barrels are clear ,just in case . i have never had a blockage but it never hurts to check :good:

sure I will but I dare not estimate how mant carts I have put through guns and never heard a funny noise,

Hope it don't happen while I've my semi because people would laugh if I stripped the barrel off inbetween shots , on the upside I am well insured.. :)

I wouldn't wish a accident on anyone freind or foe.

But I have seen shooters opening on every shot and blowing down barrels just humorous to me, I am sure if I ever thought anything untoward I would investigate without carrying on shooting ....

Thanks for the advice.

Edited by delburt0

Vic,

The only sensible (and true) post on an otherwise very sad thread. Reading the rest of this thread makes me realise why so many long term posters have abandoned Pigeon Watch in recent times.

Blowing down barrels and all the things Vic has mentioned plus some more seemingly pointless things that some do, is not only harmless but and this bit is important, does not impact on anyone else in the slightest. The only time anything of this nature could is if it took up anymore than a few seconds of time!

As for blowing down barrels inducing rust..... Pleeeese, that would be laughable if it wasn't so anal.

Mr Potter OCD

Well said !!

I've only been a member on here since last autumn but have to say a lot of the posts get more infantile by the day. Don't doubt there'll be plenty of flack coming my way, but I find it frustrating how threads go off topic so quickly, a bit like mine here :blush:

Regards remmyman

Well said !!

I've only been a member on here since last autumn but have to say a lot of the posts get more infantile by the day. Don't doubt there'll be plenty of flack coming my way, but I find it frustrating how threads go off topic so quickly, a bit like mine here :blush:

Regards remmyman

Can understand your frustration but maybe take some comfort that a number posts are somewhat tongue in cheek.

But back to the subject smoke in barrels .... from a Daily Mail article addressing this contentious issue:

article-2243954-165FEE02000005DC-873_634

Marijuana's prominence escalated during the Vietnam war, both in the U.S. and abroad.

This video still shows soldiers smoking marijuana using the barrel of a shotgun

• 4 weeks later...

I found myself doing this blowing down the barrels last time out as when opening the gun and binning carts the smoke was coming up straight into my face, I was shooting Sport trap at the time so stood with muzzles on boot.

Got sick of choking so started blowing down barrels.

Figgy