What's all of this blowing down the barrel malarkey?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lining up the writing on the cartridges,blowing down the barrels,pulling on the peak of your cap,scratching your nose,looking at the ground until it's your turn to shoot. They are all part of shooters routines to keep their concentration,especially among trap shooters,where concentration is everything.

Vic.

Lining up the writing on the cartridges,blowing down the barrels,pulling on the peak of your cap,scratching your nose,looking at the ground until it's your turn to shoot. They are all part of shooters routines to keep their concentration,especially among trap shooters,where concentration is everything.

Vic.

Vic,

The only sensible (and true) post on an otherwise very sad thread. Reading the rest of this thread makes me realise why so many long term posters have abandoned Pigeon Watch in recent times.

Blowing down barrels and all the things Vic has mentioned plus some more seemingly pointless things that some do, is not only harmless but and this bit is important, does not impact on anyone else in the slightest. The only time anything of this nature could is if it took up anymore than a few seconds of time!

As for blowing down barrels inducing rust..... Pleeeese, that would be laughable if it wasn't so anal.

Mr Potter OCD

Vic,

The only sensible (and true) post on an otherwise very sad thread. Reading the rest of this thread makes me realise why so many long term posters have abandoned Pigeon Watch in recent times.

Blowing down barrels and all the things Vic has mentioned plus some more seemingly pointless things that some do, is not only harmless but and this bit is important, does not impact on anyone else in the slightest. The only time anything of this nature could is if it took up anymore than a few seconds of time!

As for blowing down barrels inducing rust..... Pleeeese, that would be laughable if it wasn't so anal.

Mr Potter OCD

ha ha you said anal! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Im with Vic on this one, i do most of these things, check my cap, ajust my glasses, check barels, etc, its not OCD, (well its getting close to it) does it make me shoot better, probably not.

and occasionally i blow the smoke out of my barrels, and sometimes i sniff my spent carts, cos i love the smell.

im just as weird as the others :friends:

Im with Vic on this one, i do most of these things, check my cap, ajust my glasses, check barels, etc, its not OCD, (well its getting close to it) does it make me shoot better, probably not.

and occasionally i blow the smoke out of my barrels, and sometimes i sniff my spent carts, cos i love the smell.

im just as weird as the others :friends:

You and me both fella. I also blow down the barrels to remove any smoke left from the cartridge before I put it back in my slip if I'm at a comp.

I like to knock 2 out the sky with easy, brake the barrels letting the cartridges eject over my shoulder in slow motion whilst smoke ripples from spinning shells, as I step out the stand with smoke oozing out the chambers, with a mean look on my face I make no I contact with the opposition. all this in super slow motion with a killer bit of music in my head.

I don't know if it actually looks like that to others but it does to me :)

I thought it was to help with cooling the barrels by removing hot gas for cooler air,and so smoke don't obscure your sight when you take next shot.

If I blow hard enough what notes can I get out of 32" barrels? :lol:

Each to their own,we all have our foibles when shooting.

Figgy

• 4 months later...

This is done for no viable reason whatsoever, apart from blowing cold air onto a hot surface which would cause moisture inturn is no good for your barrels.

Maybe they are trying to put the other shooters off due to aching ribs..... :)

On paper will do more harm than good but if the blower has a viable reason I would love to hear it.....

And before the shooter saying checking barrel for blockages, maybe your missing to much....

Been shooting 25 yrs and never had a blocking one of one of my tubes ;)

Maybe they are looking for a excuse for them been a bad sportsman.....

Or they have watched too many tacky cowboys......

When I miss I laugh and swear I don't blow on my gun end of the day it's the bloke aiming and pulling the trigger that misses the target not the gun....

Edited by delburt0