.22 lr ammo advice

If you're after a reliable cheap plinking round American Eagle are superb.I've stuck several thousand of these through my CZ self loader and never had a single issue. You would be best however to try a box of each brand to see what your rifle likes in particular,but in my opinion Remmington rimfire ammunition is terrible and should be avoided.

Minimags are a safe bet along with any out of the Eley range too.Winchester subsonics (available in either solid or hollow point) are excellent in a self loader. Depending on what your rifle is conditioned i find Stingers are pretty accurate and good for daytime rabbit shooting although they're very noisey and a sound mod does nothing so not much good at night.

Cci mini mags for me, use them in everything cracking round

Mini Mags for me too - fired thousands and never had an issue in my Smith and Wesson M&P.

I use Eley in my bolt actions, but find the wax on their Team ammo builds up on semi autos.

ATB.

RWS subs for bunny bashing in my sgc v22.if its for targets i tried a load of different types in my x-ring and that liked eley club. you really do need to buy a couple of different boxes and give them a try.

That's what I'm buying . It's a victor arms v22 . Are they any good before I make a mistake

Subsonic have a little less oomph so might be less likely to adequately cycle the action. Semis are a bit noisier anyway which might make you decide that subs don't give you any extra value.

Personally I'll never buy any CCI product again after buying a batch with a load of duds.

It really depends what your priorities are - there's always a compromise with .22LR ammo, there's just so many to choose from.

Are you using them for pest control where minimum noise is really important. - Sub-sonic hollow point.

Maximum long range accuracy..........good quality sub-sonic solid

Short range gallery range comp/plinking........Reliability more important than accuracy.

Local availability, cost etc.

This is a short video I made this week comparing six different types of .22 ammunition - I know it was shot in a bolt rifle but it will give some idea of down range accuracy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqRw_xDtrFc

How are the smith and wesson m&p .22lr? Look realy good but being all polymer puts me off abit especially the rails being polymer too

Very happy with mine - doddle to strip and clean and so far ultra reliable with over 2500 rounds through it.

The polymer build may not suit all, but I have had no issues - it seems super tough !

S+W built it as a training aid (cheap ammo) so must have taken the fact that it would be abused into consideration when they built it.

The rails are very sturdy and I have had no issues with optics moving or anything else.

It's my fun gun and still puts a smile on my face :yes:

ATB.

RWS subs or High velocity hollow points if you can find them (I think "Tewksbury Guns" is the only uk stockist) Eley extra subs are also very good.

Any RFD will be able to get RWS subsonics, they are imported by RuagUK. They are quite good but a lot of people have said that they are very greasy as the bullet is quite heavily coated with lubricant.

J.

Subsonic have a little less oomph so might be less likely to adequately cycle the action. Semis are a bit noisier anyway which might make you decide that subs don't give you any extra value.

Personally I'll never buy any CCI product again after buying a batch with a load of duds.

CCI is at present excellent. About the best of the American rounds you will find. I would avoid anything by Remington at all costs as it's pretty much universally ****. Possible exception is their Target ammo which is just about passable.

J.

CCI AR-Tactical ammo seems to work very well through the likes of the S&W's. They claim it was designed for the modern military .22 look-alikes. Don't know what they have done that is different from other .22 ammo other than the bullet shape though. Boxed loose in .375 round boxes. Price is usually around £25.

J.

Any RFD will be able to get RWS subsonics, they are imported by RuagUK. They are quite good but a lot of people have said that they are very greasy as the bullet is quite heavily coated with lubricant.

J.

I have been waiting a few weeks for my RFD to get RWS subs in stock. I agree that they do carry a lot of lubricant but they are certainly the most accurate through my Finfire although it does tend to digest most makes without any problems. I will always buy the RWS in preference though, well when its available that is!! :rolleyes:

ATB,

Pat

I've tested it now :)

Cci subs worked but I had a few jam :( but accurate id say .

Winchester subs got stuck a lot and sprayed the board over 4" believe it or not .

The Cci was grouping 1" at 60 yards but its an awkward gun to shoot with the recoil compared to my cz bbbuuuuutttttttttt so much fun :)

We burst fire a few mags lol and grouped like a tennis ball :) .I've used all my ammo :(

I've got a 15-22 Performance Center. Great rifle! Works very well with CCI Mini Mags but isn't actually that fussy. I get pretty good groups with most things (except Thunderbolts!) Federal and CCI are about the tightest though. I really don't think you can go wrong with the 15-22. We have 10-22s at our club and I'm not a fan, seem to be fussier and not as much fun to shoot. GSGs are total junk so avoid at all costs. Mates have had Colts, Spikes and HK tactical-style .22s. All are good but I much prefer the S&W.

I'm hopefully picking up a semi auto tactical tomorrow but heard stories about ammo not cycling in semi's . What ammo does everyone use ??

I know it doesn't follow and to try loads but I'm bored and interested

Is that the target tactical? It's a great gun, customish 10/22, with a decent price tag, accurate and with a warrantee! Lots of ammo has been through it, without a single jam from all different brands, although I think the cci subsonic grouped the best.

Is that the target tactical? It's a great gun, customish 10/22, with a decent price tag, accurate and with a warrantee! Lots of ammo has been through it, without a single jam from all different brands, although I think the cci subsonic grouped the best.

V22 southern gun mate. It's a cz inside but lots of fun :)

I've got a 15-22 Performance Center. Great rifle! Works very well with CCI Mini Mags but isn't actually that fussy. I get pretty good groups with most things (except Thunderbolts!) Federal and CCI are about the tightest though. I really don't think you can go wrong with the 15-22. We have 10-22s at our club and I'm not a fan, seem to be fussier and not as much fun to shoot. GSGs are total junk so avoid at all costs. Mates have had Colts, Spikes and HK tactical-style .22s. All are good but I much prefer the S&W.

Mines a PC, but I had the barrel chopped and rethreaded to suit my other guns so mods can be interchanged.

I agree with you that it does shoot about any ammo you feed it - I just stick with mini mags due to reliability, cost and availability.

ATB.