Manners cost nothing

Pinkella

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went into a local newsagents. I bought a paper and apologised, as I had nothing smaller than a £10 note. Lad behind the counter said "Have you nothing smaller?" in a rather sneering tone.

I told him I hadn't, but would spend the money elsewhere. He lost a sale - never been back.

If someone couldn't be bothered to tell me how much and pointed to the till, I would have left them with the goods and left.

Are you kidding? Americans are uber polite. Maybe not in New York, LA or some of the big cities but in the southern states and out in the mid west they are charming. I've traveled extensively in the states and found them to be on the whole a warm and friendly people. In any case their service standards are second to none, they just won't tolerate rude or unhelpful staff in almost any business you care to mention.

Are you kidding? Americans are uber polite. Maybe not in New York, LA or some of the big cities but in the southern states and out in the mid west they are charming. I've traveled extensively in the states and found them to be on the whole a warm and friendly people. In any case their service standards are second to none, they just won't tolerate rude or unhelpful staff in almost any business you care to mention.

Agreed... The difference? A tipping culture (at least in part) ... Drop minimum wage in the service sector and make sure service staff keep tips.

Not sure I agree with that proposal, but is it truly a culture difference between countries or a culture difference in companies caused by pay structures that happen to be different in 2 different countries.

Agreed... The difference? A tipping culture (at least in part) ... Drop minimum wage in the service sector and make sure service staff keep tips.

Not sure I agree with that proposal, but is it truly a culture difference between countries or a culture difference in companies caused by pay structures that happen to be different in 2 different countries.

My God............. Kdubya will be along to lynch you shortly :)

I used to drink in a bar, had one of the best barmaids you ever saw, but she always slapped the change down in a puddle of beer without fail, got the impression she wasn't too keen on our custom. But she had some figure on her!!!!

Love the USA service experience. Over there that chap would have lost out on a Christmas bonus for displaying an attitude like that!

Incidentally :-

" Grammer is the difference between knowing your s#*t and knowing you're s#*t." ;-)

It's also the difference between

Helping your uncle Jack off a horse

and

Helping your uncle jack off a horse

Now they are both good - well said.

Thanks everyone for your you're contributions.

As for my spelling, I have managed to get to 38 and achieve what I have without knowing your and you're. But thanks for pointing it out, you still knew/ new what I was on about which or wich is the main thing.

As for not being able to believe how poor my literacy is, some people have led/ lead a sheltered life :)

My spelling is rubbish as well as my literacy, I don't /do not intend to start using spell checker now.

If my spelling affects/ effects the way you think of me as a person, then it says more about you than it will ever say about me.

Please think about what you post on here, because some people have little confidence about their spelling and we could be missing out on some fantastic contributions just because they don't know their from there their.

Cheers :)

I have travelled the states too, I have many American friends, and I talk to Americans at work almost every day.

I didn't say they weren't charming or friendly, I said they aren't big on please and thank you - they are more matter of fact than that.

They also hang up the phone without saying goodbye, it's just their way, they aren't being unfriendly.

Please think about what you post on here, because some people have little confidence about their spelling and we could be missing out on some fantastic contributions just because they don't know their from there their.

I showed my wife this (I don't show her much on PW :whistling: ) very well said she sad :yes:

The ammount of people who i hold open doors for at work and they never say thanks is very very rude. I am always tempted to let it go as they just get to it but then that would take me down to their level of ignorance.

Bad or poor manners is a bug bear and like most things in britain its getting worse.

Thanks everyone for your you're contributions.

As for my spelling, I have managed to get to 38 and achieve what I have without knowing your and you're. But thanks for pointing it out, you still knew/ new what I was on about which or wich is the main thing.

As for not being able to believe how poor my literacy is, some people have led/ lead a sheltered life :)

My spelling is rubbish as well as my literacy, I don't /do not intend to start using spell checker now.

If my spelling affects/ effects the way you think of me as a person, then it says more about you than it will ever say about me.

Yep that's my kind of human being. :good:

it just shows how people blow things out of proportion, many posts before mine people had quoted the manor/manner joke, I therefore took it one step further, hence the "smiley face" at the end, but alas, seems some want to get picky with it....

whatever :lol:

Every night! Are you insane woman? Christmas and birthdays are quite enough for any couple and I'll have you know I'm strictly a lights off and socks on type of chap! We'll have none of those foreign saucy thrills here don't cha know! Harrumph!

LOL apologise for assuming your night time antics :)

Love the USA service experience. Over there that chap would have lost out on a Christmas bonus for displaying an attitude like that!

Incidentally :-

" Grammer is the difference between knowing your s#*t and knowing you're s#*t." ;-)

"Grammer" :lol: Oh the irony. :lol: