Hi from North Cumbria

Dave-H

Hi I am a recently retired bloke who took up Grey Squirrel control with a Conservation group in N Cumbria, I mainly trap but bought a small 177 Contour for dispatch but found it is more than capable of knocking them out of the trees as well, in fact around a third of the 300 ish I have taken out since starting last Sept have been knocked down by this nice little gun. The tree rat is a tough little sod and I limit my shooting to around 25 mtrs to ensure a clean kill but as I said they are tough, in fact guys from the local shoot say they have had them bounce off thro the trees even after a load of 12g, I've had a few that have taken more than 1 shot to put down and have been considering an upgrade to a FAC version in .22 or .25 to increase my range and hitting power or possibly a moderated 410 but not sure if I can be bothered with the hassle of getting the FAC, decisions, decisions. Trapping though is by far the most efficient method of clearing them out, but I must admit I do enjoy the hunt.

Anyone North of Carlisle and South of the Border interested in a bit of trapping/Grey control let me know I have far more area than I can deal with, there is a full time ranger but he deals with border area and up towards Kielder which leaves a big hole N of Carlisle and at the moment I think I am the only active Grey Controller in this area, plenty operating South of here but need more up N.

Regards

Dave

Interested in Red Squirrel Conservation look up Red Squirrel Northern England or Northern Red Squirrel sites, both on facebook as well. NRS site lists all the groups in the North of England that actively carry out Grey control/Red conservation, also links to other groups such as Cornwall, Isle of White, NI, Wales etc.

• 2 weeks later...