Pups but a long Labour

Dave C

Well Fern had her pups a few days ago, but what a long labour!

She started at 10.00pm and had her 8th by 6.00am the next morning.

About 7.30am she started her contractions again, but nothing came so at 9.00am we went off to the vets.

They then sent us to the main vets at Barnard Castle for a scan, at 10.00am she was scaned and they saw at least 1 pup but they couldnt tell if it was alive or not, so they gave her an injection to make her contractions stronger and said she would pass the pup in the next 2 hours.

Well 12 oclock came and went and the poor lass was knaked from the pushing but nothing came, so back to the vets we went for a C section!!

Unfortunatly the pups head was swisted over its shoulder so it had strangled itself and couldnt be passed, but the good news was there was a fit and healthy pup behind it.

So at around 3.00pm 17 hours after the first pup was born she finally finished.

Whats the longest labour your dogs have had?

Some pics at 3 days old

IMG_3377_zps01880983.jpg

IMG_3378_zps6b066770.jpg

Will post more pics as they grow

Dave they are looking good :good: I'am in the same boat got ten to look after :rolleyes: One thing the mothers should be good to go to work this season late Oct early Nov. well they have to as they don't get family allowance

Edited by scutt

this is making my started at 7.30pm and dropping the last at 12:30 seem like I had an easy ride of it. I have to say this litter with an older bitch was easy and she has been a great mum but when they get to 5/6 you do wonder how you will get on with a first litter. Mine are now knocking on 5 weeks and god they are turning into a fair amount of work.

Its purely down to personal preference mate, i have trained and worked both to a high standard and enjoyed their slight differences.

The pups Dam is out of FT CH Cardy Keas of Shadowbrae, if you look on the Shadowbrea website you will see him, he also has a DVD out.

The Sire to the pups is WTW Delfleet Huckleberry out of International Gundog League Championship Winner FT CH Millcottage Pathfinder.

So they have an excellent Pedigree, also with Drakeshead, Brindlebay and Leadburn in there.

£400