Expert Shots

John Chisum

I am not very old and need encouragement as a learner, I do not want to be up against expert shots YET.

A lot of those who attend a small clay shoot I go to for competitions are like me, not brilliant shots but enthusiastic and go out to enjoy the sport like I do.

At almost the deadline for entry a certain person who is an EXPERT turns up and wins easily, this is how he earns money by taking advantage of learners or those far less capable.

I seems he is just turning up to ROB us.

I can see our small clay shoot falling to pieces if the owner allows this to carry on.

The course setter has made it very difficult even for an expert to try to deter him but he is very good and still wins, we do not have a fair chance as we are nowhere near his league, it puts us off.

I know this sounds like sour grapes but it is how we learners feel.

John.

I'm afraid that's life, unless it's a members only shoot and he's not a member, I can't see how you can stop him shooting. I f it's an open shoot it's there for everyone.

We all started at the bottom of the pile and it's up to the individual to practise and improve. You'll get far more satisfaction winning a competition in good company I know I do.

Bill

I forgot to say that I have written this for someone else.

Ask the owner to introduce desperate classes, where the score for the top class and lower class means he is in his own class and the rest of you regulars are in the other. Then he can beat himself, and the rest of you can ignore him and enjoy your shoot.
Seperate classes lol!

This seems a good idea.

The youngsters are disheartened and cannot afford to shoot every week like him.

It is not about winning but this turning up at the last minute even peeves most of us,

If the ground owner is in agreement shoot for a trophy rather than cash, but personally i think that you will be daft to do that , watch and learn from the guy. just by watching someone who shoots better than you, you will learn loads and it cost you nothing.Remmember he had to start somewhere and he most certainly won't have shot like that when he first started. Look and learn.. from Auntie.

I am not very old and need encouragement as a learner, I do not want to be up against expert shots YET.

A lot of those who attend a small clay shoot I go to for competitions are like me, not brilliant shots but enthusiastic and go out to enjoy the sport like I do.

At almost the deadline for entry a certain person who is an EXPERT turns up and wins easily, this is how he earns money by taking advantage of learners or those far less capable.

I can see our small clay shoot falling to pieces if the owner allows this to carry on.

The course setter has made it very difficult even for an expert to try to deter him but he is very good and still wins, we do not have a fair chance as we are nowhere near his league, it puts us off.

John.

There needs to be a little more information to enable sensible replies but in essence he's reaping the benefit of having been where you appear to be now ! Nobody gets there without putting in the time, effort, money and lot more besides in order to win easily as you put it. He's not taking advantage of learners, rather taking advantage of years of putting money in the pot himself and doing the ground work.

What sort of amount are we talking about incidentally? Small shoots rarely pay more than a few quid so he's probably treating it as just part of his Sunday routine. The time he shoots is of next to no consequence, how would it matter if he got in first thing and put up a winning score regardless?! You can't bar someone for being considerably better than yoouw.

Edited by Hamster

In the 80's, Jim Stafford used to turn up quite late.

I had shot a 47/50 at Ken Winstanley's ground at Wigan. 5 minutes before entries closed - Jim is opening the boot of his car. It was raining and fellow shooters said "his eyes have gone". he shot a 49, much to my despair, along with Laurence Jones, who owns Bamfords Guns, who finished third.

Jim won most shoots, including the British Championship, but it made it all the sweeter when I beat him - far less times than he beat my, I have to add.

I would stand back and admire the shooting, watch and learn or do something about it.

Yep, that is the right attitude Gordon R :yes: , I have watched loads of my handy scores become toilet material at the last knockings and never begrudged the man who bested them because I know only too well how hard it is to shoot proper scores.

Edited by Hamster

The Great Dusted Pot Hunter. Commonly sighted at smaller venues later in the day where it can find easy pickings at the

expense of lesser beings,thus bolstering it`s own self importance.

Usually quite a raucous variety,prone to displays of arrogance,unpleasant toward ground staff and lessers.

The very lowest form of Clay Hunter !

Edited by matone

John.

That's because it is!

If the guy turns up before entries close, pays his entry fee and shoots a good card, then he wins.

Get over it!

Watch and learn.

I think most of us have been there at some time or other.When I first started one of the locals used to tour shoots competing for money,but he was such a nice bloke he only shot our local comp's as birds only,but that could have had something to do with our biggest prize being a Turkey at Christmas.

He once turned up at a local comp' not intemding to shoot so didn't bring his gun,but changed his mind and shot a 50 ex 50 to win.....with a borrowed gun! Great bloke and good to watch.

Compare this with the muppets at another ground to which I took my nephew in his early years.They were a right bunch of clever ***** and in one instance one of them powdered a clay from the next cage which my nephew had repeatedly missed,much to the amusement and cheers of his mates.

I told him in no uncertain terms what I thought of him and the ground owner did also and apologised,but my nephew refused to return.He was 13 then and is now 18 and is a very good shot,and humble with it.

Get to talk with the bloke;he may turn out to be someone you would like to know.He's obviously put the time in,which is the only way to improve.

Does your club not have a junior or novice prize? I know it is frustrating not to win, but that is just the nature of competitions. Stick at it, shoot different grounds and learn from better shots. If you are determined to get better and want to win then there's no reason that you can't. It will feel even better for you when you're up there competing with them.

have comps for trophies only,have a league over a few months or refrain from entering these competitions,Your real competitors are the guys you shot against last month and again next month.

If you get to the stage where you are in the running for the big prize then you will relish the stiff competition from the experts

It used to happen a lot round here, guys would turn up and spend more on entry fees than they ended up winning.....

Its all about perspective, they have obviously put the time and money in to get to standard they have achieved so are allowed to enter as they wish,

if you are only wanting to win win win then I think you are missing out on a lot of the fun of clay shooting,

yes its nice to win, to show you are getting there, but its its also nice to turn up with a bunch of like minded people who like the banter and the day out,

to quote "its not the winning its the taking part", its true...I love clay shooting although I know I will never be a "top" shot,

Most of the people I knock about with now are people I have met through shooting,

I attend the annual PW charity shoot knowing I wont be high gun, but I try to beat my previous score,(didnt this year...lol)

I shoot to beat myself, if along the way I can beat a few others then great, if not I've still had fun.....

Relax, take it as it comes, I know people to whom winning is everything, they are miserable old duffers when they dont, dont become one of them

:shaun:

Edited by shaun4860

An amazing post. :/

Do people still really think like that, in this day and age..?

You should be welcoming somebody with a bit of talent at your talentless shoot, as you and the other novices could learn a lot from this guy.

Cat.

Couldn't agree more , the shoot me and my lad attended for many years used squad shooting for skeet ,sporting and DTL .Unfortunately it closed a couple of years ago , the benefits of squad shooting to us were incalculable and yes the really good shots did inspire us to improve our performance along with much needed advice from a couple of shooters who had represented England and as a bonus some excellent banter.

So try talking to these guys and learn from them , believe me its far better then them not being there and you carrying on with average scores.