Son's first decoying session

Norfolk Ern

Had a cracking night last night on the barley stubble with Tom and his new gun.

After quite a search, we settled on a Hatsan 20 bore semi auto with junior stock.

I have to say, despite their budget reputation, some areas of finish - particularly on the woodwork are far better than my Beretta.

It certainly shoots where he is looking as he shot 2 pigeons in the first 3 shots stone dead!

Not bad considering he only had an hour on the clays 4 weeks ago!

Needless to say, the grin from ear to ear on the photo still hasn't gone today!

Going again tomorrow as the pigeons are everywhere at the moment.post-64452-0-91515000-1375444235_thumb.jpg

Had a cracking night last night on the barley stubble with Tom and his new gun.

After quite a search, we settled on a Hatsan 20 bore semi auto with junior stock.

I have to say, despite their budget reputation, some areas of finish - particularly on the woodwork are far better than my Beretta.

It certainly shoots where he is looking as he shot 2 pigeons in the first 3 shots stone dead!

Not bad considering he only had an hour on the clays 4 weeks ago!

Needless to say, the grin from ear to ear on the photo still hasn't gone today!

Going again tomorrow as the pigeons are everywhere at the moment.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

nicely done :good:

Fantastic, cant wait to get my Daughter shooting, she loves comming to clays, she has tried the .410 but its still a little heavy for her, but shes enthusiatic and thats always a good sign, well done to your son, fantastic shooting.

ATB.

Kat. :good:

Out of interest how old is your lad? Mine is 10 and has tried .410 but I think he may be better off with something bigger, either a 20 or 28 bore.

Tom has just turned 10.

Had a lesson at Phillip Thorrolds on a 20 bore and we came to the conclusion that a 20 or 28 bore was the best way to go.

The kick isn't excessive and he can swing the gun smoothly.

We tried load of o/u 20 bores, but found them to be a little too front heavy for his size. Not many 28 bores for sale when we were looking.

Also, the semi does dampen the kick, so that helps.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, my lad is quite slight, so needs something light, sounds like a semi auto 20 might be good - like you I have looked for 28 bores but fairly rare, especially affordable ones. He has been using a mate's Mossberg, pump action 410 with a moderator on it. But it is unwieldy with the silencer and hard to handle.

Thanks, my lad is quite slight, so needs something light, sounds like a semi auto 20 might be good - like you I have looked for 28 bores but fairly rare, especially affordable ones. He has been using a mate's Mossberg, pump action 410 with a moderator on it. But it is unwieldy with the silencer and hard to handle.

Yep, Tom is quite lightly built, so it took a bit of searching to get it right.

Lightest gun was a Beretta Silver Pigeon, but I really didn't wish to take a saw to a £1400 gun stock!

The other bonus of the Hatsan is that it comes with 5 chokes, a junior stock and plenty of spacers to adjust. All for £385 brand new.

Well done Tom lad... Wish my dad was like your Dad, the ****!!

Been called worse Channa!

I've always supported anything my kids want to do, but as far as guns go, Tom has had to prove himself to be safe before he even had a clay lesson, so the achievement is all his.

I do work away from home a lot, so being able to spend a day in a hide with Tom having a good bit of banter and a laugh is priceless.

• 2 months later...