Making a walnut shotgun stock. A restoration project.

demonwolf444

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Have not got round it. In the end i quit the job because it sucked! so i have plenty of time just really waiting on me getting some thin mdf or something to cover and use as dividers. I always have loads of stock making and refinishing projects on air rifles and things, so currently i have engrossed my self in that, think i will try get the bits tomorrow, which should see me finished some time around the end of next week.

• 4 weeks later...

Bit on the guest day today. Was using 30g 6's through it, which as quite a big lad, even i found a bit punchy just because its barely a 7lbs gun.

Anyway called in at Humphrey and Tilly in Thirsk ( think they are fairly good in there tbh) the other day and got some 26g 6's by imperial game and found i was shooting much better so i think i will have to go back for a slab.

Action shot.

post-24172-0-25787100-1384651962_thumb.jpg

Still

post-24172-0-98517100-1384651962_thumb.jpg

Photo's were taken by a friend who is looking to get into shoot photography and today was his first time out. Obviously heavily reduced resolution to get them uploaded on to here but you get the effect.

Good day out.

• 2 weeks later...

As promised!

Cutting out just using some scrap 2x1. New bandsaw blade did a good job of cutting, didn't realize how rubbish the old one was till i changed it!

post-24172-0-59844600-1385650825_thumb.jpg

The just measured them up and cut them to size, my victorinox made short work of that.

I then rested them all together and got to this

post-24172-0-04294600-1385650826_thumb.jpg

I found it too square and i wanted to incorporate what was left of the original stock in the box too. So i changed it around a bit and got to this.

post-24172-0-30895100-1385650826_thumb.jpg

post-24172-0-69995100-1385650826_thumb.jpg

Now to get them all felted up and stuck in. Got some leather from an old saddle so i might muddle together some kind of strap deal to hold the stock secure. I'll keep you posted, don't know why it has taken me so long to get to this point, must be something to do with not finishing things.

Anyway this has fired up my enthusiasm for now!

Got it all put together with some ultra strength epoxy araldite stuff

post-24172-0-15685400-1385657996_thumb.jpg

post-24172-0-54253100-1385657996_thumb.jpg

Just needs some tiny bits of felt on the ends of some of the bits of wood to finish it up.

So got the barrels in one section, forend, little bit of the original stock, the action and stock, and cleaning rods. In the patch box lives a Jag, some patches.

( in true Kirsty Allsop fashion i happen to have a load of leather straps hoarded away kept for "a something" ) and i think one of these old worn and battered straps will look great to secure the gun and action in the case. Only thing is i need a buckle.

Well i found this video and thought hey it can't be so hard.

So I'm going to give that a go tonight if i have time.

Did get around to making a buckle, i did mine a little differently and its a bit more rough and ready but err hem "my tools were playing up"... ( READ: *i had no patience this evening* ) and so its not quite as neat as in the video.

Anyway i am still pleased with the outcome.

post-24172-0-89889700-1385674714_thumb.jpg

post-24172-0-97081000-1385674715_thumb.jpg

Think i will get some nice ribbon or something just to do the edges of the box, its looking a little unfinished and could do with neatening up, and im hoping i can get some ribbon just the same thickness of the inside edges.

James.

• 5 months later...

Fantastic from start to finish, i salute you James.

If you have an offcut of the original wood you made the stock from, say 6" long 3/4 square, send it to me, i'll make you a nice pen, free, it would be an honour to.

I am glad you enjoyed it. Sharing these projects online make the whole thing so much more enjoyable as you know others are enjoying seeing the progress too!

That's a really kind offer, i do believe i have some off cuts put to one side so will have a look through. I intend on making a little pocket game book to go in the box in the case with photo's of the project, so a pen would finish it off nicely; i would really appreciate that! - I will PM you.

This is my field crafter uk knife which is handled with the same walnut and sheathed in re purposed saddle leather.

post-24172-0-14645600-1399212762_thumb.jpg

post-24172-0-65771700-1399212762_thumb.jpg

I have also recently been playing around with aging paper, and while i was initially pleased with the first trade label for the case i produced it has since been replaced. The paper looks better aged in my opinion.

post-24172-0-85241800-1399212761_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well today i decided my finishing skills were better than they were when i started this project.

post-24172-0-72982400-1402523297_thumb.jpg

Both Tear drops are now properly carved and match. The one thing that really let this stock down was the tear drops, no more; the picture is not doing them justice they are a mile better.

The stock being refinished, as i think i can get a better finish with my own oil mixtures than achieved with the napier product.

Example:

My Winchester Supergrade 101 stock:

post-24172-0-00234500-1402523558_thumb.jpg

And the muzzle loader i recently gave a sympathetic facelift to.

post-24172-0-11987900-1402523679_thumb.jpg

As examples of my finishing at the moment.

Would not be able to enjoy doing this without all the help you guys have given me. That bench is beyond any help!

I have a Sidelock which needs restocking and re browning. Its been a problem magnet this far but i hate an unfinished project.

Needs.

New trigger guard. ( got a nice one in the parts bin )

Restocking as the original is beyond help.

For end may need tightening back up.

Top lever is loose.

Its having all its ribs relaid at the moment. ( this was the unforeseen problem with the gun as i was not happy with the state it was in )

Will need re browning.

Got the bolt action 410, just need to pick it up and sort out paperwork. It needs cosmetic and mechanical work, general refinishing.

Always got air rifle stocks on the go, recently sold this too. 50LB english yew crossbow with a walnut tiller and tulip wood trigger, buffalo horn roller nut, hemp bow string and leather wrapped grip. Re used leather and hessian make up the bolt quiver. A fun build!

post-24172-0-96921200-1402865149_thumb.jpg