Puppy food / Weaning

Dave C

It seems quite a few of the genuine dog lads on here are either breeding or bringing in a pup this year, so i thought i would get your thoughts on this,

I have always used Beta Pup when bringing in a puppy and last year when i bred my first litter i used it to wean them and all went well, although they can be a bit loose on it.

Back end of last year i got a Wire Viz pup which had been weaned on Eukanuba, as the breeder gave me quite a bit i kept her on it and was amazed how solid she was on it and with her being quite picky how good a condition she was for how little she ate.

The only problem was it took her along time to get used to another brand of food when she was a year old.

So my question is this, i was thinking of weaning my current litter of Labs on Eukanuba but with it being over £50 a bag i don't think people will keep the pups on it when they go to there new homes, if this then upsets the pups is it worth using Eukanuba in the first place?

Also what do you use on your pups?

Mine are on purina at the moment and have also been on puppy meat from 3 weeks mixed with lactol. They have been desperate to eat and were trying the kibble from their mums bowl. I started them on small amounts and now they are eating for England at 5 weeks. Gained nearly 2lbs last week which is pretty good going. No signs of being loose at any stage

Whatever you personally use for your pups it's almost a certainty that the new owners will (with possibly a few exceptions) change to another brand that a) they have previously used B) one that is cheaper c) one that's easier to get hold of.

I used Autarky pup food > http://www.autarkyfoods.com/autarky-dog/puppy-junior.html < for the last cocker litter I had and it worked out fine. I've also got a four month old Lab pup here who was originally on Beta pup but I'm slowly mixing in Autarky pup with the Beta until she's on it fully.

Having said the above I did find that when I tried the adult Autarky my cockers weren't very keen although the Lab's eat it no problem ..... but most Labs will eat anything. Now they're all back on Skinners crunchy apart from the pup above. I'll move her onto Skinners when she's older.

DaveL

Edited by DJL4

Nothing wrong with Beta puppy. But as Will say if you buy a pup in make sure you get puppy food off the breeder,or buy the same as he's been using then change to 1 that you want slowly.

If i sell a pup it is sold with a bag of the food that the pup has been fed on. :good: