A couple of hours with the .177

Davy Holt

Hiya,

Had planned to go out and do some work on the new hide this afternoon before baiting up a few fields for Foxy, stopped off at my first farm and kinda got side-tracked :) All taken around 30 yards with the sub 12ftlb .177 Rapid... might go and have another bash at them tomorrow :)

869d2676-38cd-4319-9d3e-d3d09bea09d4.jpg

Edited by Davy Holt

Hiya,

Was really hard going ;) they were moving between one of the barley fields and a small group of trees next to the farm lane, all had to do was park my car so that I had a clear view of some branches then sit there with the window down and pick off any bird that landed :) :)

I would have much rather have been there with the shotty as there was literally hundreds of birds about, but unfortunately the syndicate that's on the estate wont let me use the shotty :( Which is fair enough but bloody annoying when they hardly ever bother doing any pest control for the farmers, as they are only interested in the Ducks n geese that winter on this ground :( As a result the barley gets hammered every year with flocks of 300 to 400 birds in the fields quite common :(

An excellent bag with an airgun , it was in the back of my mind that shooting them from a car is illegal though , so I just checked the licence and to my reading its ok unless you are using it for "immediate pursuit" , I would take that as to be chasing the birds in a car ?

Fantastic bag either way.

Hiya,

was back out today but not so many birds about, they were on a barley field that had just been harvested at the other side of the estate, (yet again no one was shooting them) still managed a bag of 18 though :)

I've tried every route possible to help the farmer out more, as far as the estate is concerned the Syndicate are the only ones that get to shoot on their land and unfortunately the farmer rents the Barley fields and a lot more ground (600 acres) from the estate :( He does have his own grazing fields, but the Syndicate kicked off about me using the shotgun on there even though it wasn't their ground causing friction between the farmer and the estate :( so it's not worth the hassle to use anything other than an air rifle and keep hammering them that way. I even tried to join the syndicate but strangely enough I never heard any reply from them.

Hiya,

was back out today but not so many birds about, they were on a barley field that had just been harvested at the other side of the estate, (yet again no one was shooting them) still managed a bag of 18 though :)

I've tried every route possible to help the farmer out more, as far as the estate is concerned the Syndicate are the only ones that get to shoot on their land and unfortunately the farmer rents the Barley fields and a lot more ground (600 acres) from the estate :( He does have his own grazing fields, but the Syndicate kicked off about me using the shotgun on there even though it wasn't their ground causing friction between the farmer and the estate :( so it's not worth the hassle to use anything other than an air rifle and keep hammering them that way. I even tried to join the syndicate but strangely enough I never heard any reply from them.

I have a similar situation Davy. At a push, I can do the crows and what few rabbits there are, but not lamping. I feel your pain :yes:

Edited by turbo33

Hiya,

I have a similar situation Davy. At a push, I can do the crows and what few rabbits there are, but not lamping. I feel your pain :yes:

I cant do the lamping either and their are loads of foxes about :(

Stop moaning Davy you have got more ground than the syndicate :-)

This is possibly true ;) but at least everything is reasonably under control on my ground :) :)