Dog or bitch to go with current bitch

keg

I only have one bitch now and she has been speyed so there is no need to keep her away from the dogs.

Bitches are likely to come into season during the shooting season, and when one comes in the other will follow so you end up with no dog to take shooting. Which is why, with no plans to breed, I have dogs now and will have dogs for the foreseeable future.

All entire, kennelled together, nothing to fight over and no problems.

Another bitch will be fine especially if it's a pup, they will get on well. An older bitch would need a little more care until they get used to each other.

I currently have five bitches here and all are kept indoors and have never had any problems. It also helps having at least one "spare" during the shooting season when one or more come into season.

DaveL

bitch every time, I really can't be doing with having one of each then agro every time the bitch is in season. You only have to look at the miss matings recently on here to see how hard it can be to keep them apart

I've taken it on the chin :good::yes:

Had it been my fault I'd have kept it to myself lol :lol::lol::lol:

The new adition to my team is a week old today,the thing is yellow bitch or black bitch ,ive got 2 black bitches already so I will see how they develop

in the next 7 weeks.(forgot to say the ginger ones in the kitchen cooking tea) :whistling:

I would also say life's a ot easier if u keep 1 or the other.

I'm all dogs as u know they won't come into season when u need them and wouldn't change that for bitches now.

Is ur current bitch a really decent dog worth breeding off? If not u could get her speyed to open up ur options

The other thing is at 2 ur dogs may be quite close age wise so when ur old 1 is retireing ur younger 1 will not be that far off retiring either so u will end up with 3 dogs to always have a dog at prime working age, if u can wait another year or 2 be a better age mix, i reckon for a 1/2 dog house about a 4ish age gap is ideal, as ur older dog is hitting prime ur gettin a younger 1 in, also handier for training as u can concentrate all ur time on pup, with a 2 yr old prob still be a bit off fine tuning

Edited by scotslad

I have a dog and a bitch and they get on great. The dog has been done so no worries about any mishaps. To be honest i dont think it makes that much difference dog or bitch they soon sort out the pecking order. I think i will always have one of each because i like their different temperaments.

I would also say life's a ot easier if u keep 1 or the other.

I'm all dogs as u know they won't come into season when u need them and wouldn't change that for bitches now.

Is ur current bitch a really decent dog worth breeding off? If not u could get her speyed to open up ur options

The other thing is at 2 ur dogs may be quite close age wise so when ur old 1 is retireing ur younger 1 will not be that far off retiring either so u will end up with 3 dogs to always have a dog at prime working age, if u can wait another year or 2 be a better age mix, i reckon for a 1/2 dog house about a 4ish age gap is ideal, as ur older dog is hitting prime ur gettin a younger 1 in, also handier for training as u can concentrate all ur time on pup, with a 2 yr old prob still be a bit off fine tuning

That is exactly my thinking, my Lab bitch is 4 now has proven herself many times as a working dog and has an excellent pedigree.

So why not breed her and keep one for myself, so thats what i have done.

And this is the little bitch at 3 days that i am keeping for my son to work

IMG_3220_zps7f5fb318.jpg

Good luck with whatever you choose.