Blast (excuse the pun) from the past for you shot gunners

rsrjerry

Those are my very first experience with a 12g !!

My uncle who was well into his guns and mooching about with them .. I remember he said I could have ago it was a old s/s it was near enough red it had that much cheap stain and varnish on !!!

I never realised what recoil was I only considered the noise .. So I mounted the gun with my uncle stood next to me helping me lift it but as I was concerned about noise I held it slightly away from my shoulder then ....... Bang !!!

I now mount any gun tight !!!

I brought a 1000 of the Baikals from the shop in chelmsford £48 and they came in a wooden crate that we used as a log box for years, now thats what I call value.

They were no7 shot but cotained all sorts of sizes and very few were round so you got a long shot string out of them so when clay shooting the clay would break then the bits of clay would break when the slower shot got there.Only ever used them through a remie 1100 auto due to the recoil but shot just about every leagal quarry you could .

Definatley loud ,flames out of barrel and breach on an auto were something to behold on an evening flight.

I have recovered from the recoil but not from the noise I am told by her in doors that I am deaf :)

Edited by TIDES EDGE

Was given some in the late 80s to shoot some rabbits. Can remember the huge flames, the loud explosion and enough soot in the barrels to warrant keeping a small Victorian boy to hand to clean out after each shot!

I also seem to remember a friend of mine halving a rabbit as the shot had fused together.

Happy days!

I remember shooting them through my granda's sxs hammer gun when I first started shooting, and as above, the flames were ferocious, as were the bruises on my shoulder.

I still have 1 in the cabinet, that we found when we were sorting his stuff out, along with a box of similar red, no.6 cartridges, marked SG on the side.

EDIT Just checked,not SG, but SC Game no.5 .

Edited by the enigma

• 7 months later...

I was asked to load for a guy years back he had Holland and Holland s/s and a bag full of Baikal cartridges glad I had my earmuffs that day

SandB cartridges when I was in Morley Gun Club in cheshire we used to buy them direct from Edgar Bros Macclesfield for about £70 a thousand I think they came in when Eley had a problem at the factory and cartridges where short I think Edgar bros still advertise them if he still has them at 70 quid a thousnd I might risk a few

We used to use 1000s of them in the late 60s and early 70s once you got used to them they were fine, at that time I used a Midland Gun Co 3inch for duck and pigeon shooting so the recoil wasnt a problem, we normally had 6s but if you cut one open they contained every thing from bb to 7s so in therey you could use them for geese down to snipe. We use to pay £40 a 1000 from Bazoka in Beccles Suffolk. My brother had a gun for sale and they offered him a £100 or 3000 cartridges , he took the shells and I gave him £55 for 1500 , he was happy and so was I ........Gone up a bob or two since then.