tomto

Well after seeing so many people on here decoying and getting good numbers of pigeons and crows I decided it was time to have a go at it myself.

So whilst at the CLA Game fair I treated myself to 24 flocked pigeons 2 floaters and 6 crow decoys which had been sat in their bag for a couple of weeks till now.

So time off came and these little beauties came out.....

So Day 1

I trundled down to my permission and spoke to the farmer to find out where he has been having the most trouble with crows and he pointed me in the right direction.

So set up by 1030 with my pigeons 30 yards to the front and slightly to the right in what look like a 6 and then the crows slightly to the left again in the shape of a 6. With the wind going straight over my head towards the decoys.

Thought it was going to take forever for birds to come in but I hadn't even got comfy behind my cam net when the first pigeon came in. They just kept on coming the crows came in in massive numbers I couldn't reload fast enough as I am only using an old non ejector 12g.

But got 11 crows and 6 pigeons

Day 2

Set up for 0930 on a different field taking a friend with me this time as he had never done any decoying either and wanted to witness what I was ranting on about the night before.

Unfortunately there wasn't much wind yesterday so wasn't really sure how to set up my decoys anyway I set up and put the hide under some trees and had the dog bed today to sit on. But again 5 minutes in and we already had 5 in the bag. I kept putting the shot birds out making my crow flock up to about 15 before I stopped putting them out and just started piling them up.

Unfortunately I got a call which meant we had to pack up and go home early.

We still got 22 crows and 11 pigeons

post-22529-0-06835600-1375869407_thumb.jpg

post-22529-0-92280900-1375869412_thumb.jpg

Pup is fine with the shooting as he is only coming to sit around to get used to the shots.

But thanks for the concern.

Ok decoys will be coming closer next time going to go out again a couple of times next week but next time I wont be going at it alone.

Make sure I have 2 guns on it this time and hopefully the bag will increase

also I think the new pump will help, had a trundle up to the local gun shop and decided on a nice Benelli

That's a good effort for your first time out.

If that spaniel pup is as young as I think it is you ought to leave it at home.

Im not starting an argument just wanting to further my knowledge... What's the reason for leaving him at home? ATB Tim