Overzealous Police?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2386615/Police-inspect-eccentric-aristocrats-gun-collection-claims-protecting-public-mysterious-big-cat.html

Before anyone jumps on me I want to make it clear that I am pro gun safety to the core.

I have been involved on the perimeter of two LEGAL gun police seizures because a jealous ex girlfriend has lied to police and the police know this.

Why do the police not prosecute for malicious lies, wasting police time?

The last time, late last year 2 police arrived to seize an auto shotgun, they allowed the person to go upstairs alone and bring the gun down to them, stupid fools.

It took several weeks to get said gun back and loads of unnecessary hassle over the phone with ********* at the station who knew very little about firearms.

The firearms officer was only part time anyway, making it more difficult.

The person complaining must be forced to make a signed detailed statement before police intervention.

I have been stopped by police in the early hours of the morning with guns in my vehicle, they have inspected my licence, a quick look inside and I have been on my way PDQ.

It is wrong IMO that police can seize your legal weapon so easily and without really good reason.

Just what do people expect them to do?

If they did nothing and then something happened, would the public be so forgiving? I think not.

After how many tragedies have we said that the Police knew enough to take firearms away, but didn't.

Although it is unfair, on occasions, they have to do and be seen to do something.

I am sorry to say that I must disagree I think the police must act and sort out the rights and wrongs after the guns have been removed,i agree that most cases are proven to be just a spitefull ex or neighbour but in the odd case that results in injury or death one life is worth more than a little inconvenience and the more cases that are proven to be false the better for our sport,you are correct in saying it can take a lot of time to sort it out and that could be improved and yes the person complaining should be charged with wasting police time.i love to shoot and hope that many generations to come can enjoy the freedom that we have now. we have some of the toughest firearms laws in the world and the lowest gun crime as well,look at America every minute of every day someone is shot due to their lax attitude. I would not want to see that here.

I can't see what the problem is;if there is a big cat the SLR is more than capable of doing the job! :whistling:

Seriously though,can I expect a call from Police if a neighbour sees a photograph of me in the local paper posing with one of my guns after winning a local competition,and then expresses concerns for her safety to the local bobbies?

In terms of this article - I am with the Police.

In terms of the incidents where the OP has been involved on the perimeter:-

The OP has highlighted the problem for the Police. The ex-girlfriends have lied - so presumably they said not nice things about the firearms holder. I cannot see how the Police could do anything else.

The matter about whether the ex-girlfriends lied is another can of worms. How does the OP know the Police did nothing about it? Can the OP prove this and that the Police knew that they lied? Does the OP know whether the Police took advice from CPS as to whether they could prosecute? Have the ex-girlfriends been cautioned.

It is just too easy to make allegations without a shred of proof - unless the OP has it.

Considering the blokes previous encounters with the Police concerning his firearms then I thought he was a total idiot posing for a national newspaper with an SLR.

At the time I saw the picture in the paper my first thought was that he would get another visit.

He hasn't done anything wrong but a bit of common sense wouldn't have gone amiss. :rolleyes:

I don't think the police did anything wrong, they cannot ignore a complaint regarding firearms.

The person in the wrong was the complainant...why on earth would anyone normal feel threatened by a picture in a newspaper of an old bloke holding a rifle? There are plenty of pictures in the media which could be considered a lot more threatening...whoever complained needs to grow up.

Gosh, we have become a nation of wimps that nearly have a cardiac when we see a picture of a gun. The police cannot win in this situation, if they do nothing and something happens then they are criticized (quite rightly) and if they decide to take action then people are up in arms that they have inspected them or detained their guns. As has been said they need to sort out getting guns back sooner but everything has to be investigated properly and this takes time especially where untruths have been told.

If anybody is to blame it's the pathetic excuse for a human that called the police or him for choosing to pose with a 'super sniper assault rifle' for the tabloids

Edited by Livefast123