Skinning & Preparing Squirrels.

Wayne

Greetings every1 - I hope I'm posting this in the right section.

K, well there seem to b loadsa really good recipes for squirrel & ppl say it's the tenderest small game meat ever - aaand I'm surrounded by the damn things aaand my freezer is empty. So? I thort I'd best start shooting & eating em!

But - there seem to b so many different methods for skinning & preparing em & it all sounds really complicated & difficult.

One method I read for skinning involved 2 ppl, one stood on its tail while the other held its feet and the first pulled this bit o skin one way & another bit another way and.. ??? ..well it sounded more like a game of flamin Twister to me!

So - how d'ya do it? I need a really nice quick simple method of getting the damn things into the pan!

Many thanx in advance,

Wayne

Hmm, ur advice would be fine Red Stag.....if I'd eva skinned a rabbit! lol Well, we all gotta start sometime! (Tho many neva do of course!)

Would you recommend the first cut to go longways (top to bottom) on the underside, or around the animal about half way along its body?

And yep, I wouldn't fancy eating true town squirrels - the ones Ive got me eyes on seem to eat mainly 'natural' stuff - I dare say they will delve thru the occasional bin if natural food is scarce, but its probly best not to think bout that too much!

Cheers,

Wayne

:lol: Excellent! Thanks folks.

Yup, I dare say my first couple wont be *quite* as proffessional a job as in the pictures! :lol: (Dont he make it look easy!?) lol But Im sure Ill get something worth eating into the pot.

Sweet chicken? Sounds fantastic - my mouths watering already! Plus Ive had a family of grey-squirrel-b*stards living in my loft for ages - 'live & let live' I thought at first, as I didnt have any plans to eat them at the time....... then the little grey b*stards ate my lighting circuit! So its kinda personal now as well!! ???

As for taking out the guts, do u do that after its skinned, by cutting round the ********, then jus scooping everything out?

Thanx agen folks,

Cheers,

Wayne

Ahhh, I see - hence the cut down the belly in ur photos! Doh! I'm so observant! lol

Right, I reckon I've got enuff info to go try it now!

I reckon I'll put the meat in boiling water & microwave it for a while b4 I do the proper cooking - that way it shud b less tough & it'll make sure any nasty bugs are proper dead.

Thanks for ur help - if my next post smells of squirrel ****, u'll know I done it wrong! :yp:

Cheers,

Wayne

Well wot convinced me was looking on the net - eating squirrel seems to be very popular, especially in America. If u do a search for 'pigeon recipe, preparation', u won't get much, but the same search for squirrel turns up millions of different recipes from loadsa different sites. This made me think they gotta be worth a try!

It beats going to Sainsburys anyway! :yp:

I eat a lot of Squirels.

The problem with them is getting the skin off. It is a LOT harder than rabbit. The stand on the tail method is the red indian way, but quite often the tail comes off. Try splitting round the waist and pulling apart you can get a grip that way.

Oh yes their fleas will be biting you as you do it!!! leave them for a couple of days or put them in the frezer for an hour to kill the *****rs first.

lol Well I often feel itchy but there are no big flea-type bites on me, jus very small red bumps - maybe its a mite of some sort

Funny you say that, each time I get home 'her-indoors' whines about me having little red bumps........I alway thought she was talking about my nipples :yp: :)

Maybe there is some sort of mite - anyone else had a simular thing ??

• 7 years later...