Skinning & Preparing Squirrels.

Wayne

Greetings every1 - I hope I'm posting this in the right section.

K, well there seem to b loadsa really good recipes for squirrel & ppl say it's the tenderest small game meat ever - aaand I'm surrounded by the damn things aaand my freezer is empty. So? I thort I'd best start shooting & eating em!

But - there seem to b so many different methods for skinning & preparing em & it all sounds really complicated & difficult.

One method I read for skinning involved 2 ppl, one stood on its tail while the other held its feet and the first pulled this bit o skin one way & another bit another way and.. ??? ..well it sounded more like a game of flamin Twister to me!

So - how d'ya do it? I need a really nice quick simple method of getting the damn things into the pan!

Many thanx in advance,

Hi Wayne.

Try down loading. my out door tv.com

You can watch how to skin every thing from a squibble to a black bear.

Hope this helps.

ATB Clynt

Wayne

I eat a lot of Squirels.

The problem with them is getting the skin off. It is a LOT harder than rabbit. The stand on the tail method is the red indian way, but quite often the tail comes off. Try splitting round the waist and pulling apart you can get a grip that way.

Oh yes their fleas will be biting you as you do it!!! leave them for a couple of days or put them in the frezer for an hour to kill the *****rs first.

Yup, delicious creamy meat, butman you need to put a bit of muscle into getting their skins off! They hold onto their coats far harder than bunnies.

TBH, I only use the hinds that I can remove and skin in a few short mins. Worth the effort - my boys fave meat is now grey squirrel! :yp:

It's even good pan fried in butter with almost no seasoning - a stern test of any meat!

You really, really, don't need to cook the living hell out of the meat! A few mins in the pan is fine, rolled in egg, flour with cajun seasoning, deep fried really hot 190 c for 2 mins and 15 mins in a medium oven yields outstanding results. I tried that one on a few 'non country' friends and they yummed them down :good:

Never come across squirrel fleas and I've skinned and eaten a few. It's worth mentioning that it is only really worth skinning and eating the bucks as the females are quite dainty and don't carry much meat on them. Even the bucks only have any real meat on their thighs. If you use the upper parts to make stew watch out for the tiny fish-like bones.