Albino Sparrow

Pole Star

I called round to a friends house today & I was looking at his prized almost pet sparrows feeding in his garden when I saw an odd colored bird among them & said Willie whats that bird feeding there ? he said oh thats my albino sparrow its been here the last 3 or 4 years ! , its not pure white but more of a light fawn all over , has any one else seen these colored sparrows :hmm: .

Pole Star

Thanks for that pic Karpman first time I have seen a white Starling , I will try & get a pic of that sparrow to load up but don't hold your breath on it as a sparrow hawk is making regular swoops low across my friends garden . I was shown inside the library of a lovely big house in Sussex once to get a look at the head of a huge Tunny caught off Scarbrough in the 1930s & I spotted what looked like a part albino woodcock in a case high up on one of the book shelves , what a specimen .

I have a Taxidermist mate who gets albino Wood pigeons brought to him fairly often .

ATB Pole Star

Strange I was talking to PW member on the phone today about albinos & he told me where he knows there are to white Canada's if he wants to come on board & tell you about them I will leave it to him, then if one of you goes & bags em I wont get the blame :lol: .

The white Greylag up here in Orkney was still about last year & I wonder if it will be here this season ? :hmm:

Pole Star

Wouldn't fancy being a white sparrow, expect your stand out in the hedge row. Can't have many sparrow hawks that way. Got an albino squig that visits my garden quite a lot.

Thats what I thought as you would have thought the sparrow hawk would single it out in a pass ??? & my mate tells me the sparrows have been very nervy & jumpy since the hawk turned up , I better try & get a pic of him as soon as I can .

• 1 month later...

have a blackbird with white on wings and head visits often to feeders in garden...

can you get a pic of it to upload here ? as for the albino sparrow that has been hanging about my friends garden for a long time well it seems to have gone , maybe the sparrow hawk nabbed him in the end :hmm: pity because I was hoping to get a pic of it to upload here .

Pole Star

Interesting photo Good Shot , the other 2 Starlings are juvenile but the some of the color of the Lecistic bird look like a mix of adult & juvenile :hmm:

In the original pic it is more obvious that they are all from the same brood, but Because I have reduced photo size for the post it is not so noticeable but if you look closely the breast of the back bird is mottled also.

In the original pic it is more obvious that they are all from the same brood, but Because I have reduced photo size for the post it is not so noticeable but if you look closely the breast of the back bird is mottled also.

Thanks for that Good shot it had me thinking for a moment :good: .

can you get a pic of it to upload here ? as for the albino sparrow that has been hanging about my friends garden for a long time well it seems to have gone , maybe the sparrow hawk nabbed him in the end :hmm: pity because I was hoping to get a pic of it to upload here .

Pole Star

Pole Star

will try...

will try...

Will be interesting to see if you can get one & I will try & get one of the one that visits my friends garden , thats if the sparrowhawk or next doors moggie has not eaten it ?.

Also I will see if I can get a pic of that Leucistic Greylag goose that haunts Orkney , the RSPB here have named it Blondie I believe ? ,

Pole Star

The past 3 years I have seen (and sometimes caught) an albino Rabbit (lots of) Hares (well 3) and a Roe Buck.

Ok we are on Albino / Leucistic four leggers now lol did any one see the other day or so on FB the pic of the part Leucistic Buck that was shot by a hunter in the USA & I understand Cabelas have offered him $13,000 for it so they can have it full mounted to on display at there shops ? , its a fine looking beast .

Pole Star

Any pw members ever seen a black Grey Partridge ? more than 20 years ago I was short or cash & needed to go back to Australia so as always money has to be raised in hard times ! . At the time in my collection of guns I had a lovely antique 20g muzzle loader of Willkinson of Pall Mall in its case & it had to go :sad1: & I sold it to a collector who invited me to see his gun room , wow ! what a collection DB flintlock Mantons , Henry Nocks ect .

In the gun room was a stuffed hawk & the conversation got around to stuffed birds & he told me of a black partridge he had shot & was amazed at the colour of it & took to a Natural History museum to get them to have a look at it & they said perhaps he should get it mounted .

So off he went to a taxidermist & showed it to the taxidermist & who said , that's unusual yes I can do it for you & I will give you a call when it is ready .

Any way some months went by & he had no call so he called the Taxidermist to enquire if it was ready for collection , oh said the taxidermist its done but when I washed the skin it cleaned up as a normal grey partridge , suspicious :hmm: ? . Well the man who shot this black partridge was not amused as one would imagine ! .

One day I was reading a lovely book I had which was a copy of Millis Game Birds the bird artist of the around 1900 & I am sure he said in his book about black grey partridges that were of a sooty colour , so I wonder :hmm: the mind boggles .

Would like to know about theses black partridges & has any one ever seen one , a pic would be even better .

ATB Pole Star

ps update on that Albino sparrow , its has not been seen for some time but my friend my have a pic of it which I just might be able to upload here .

Edited by Pole Star