sako finnfire

jcbruno

i have the opertunity to buy a Sako Finnfire 22lr are they as good as my anchutz 1416 i imagine so they are made in fFinland anyone out their got one and if so is it a good or bad gun my intuition tells me that it is probably pretty good any advise will be great thanks.

I've got a Finnfire Hunter & I love it, would never part with it! :unsure:

Bought mine second hand so saved a few pounds, but had a shock when it came to buy spare magazines, £37!!

It's very, very light, even more so now the barrel's been chopped. The bolt is smooth with a shallow lift, no bashing knuckles on your scope.

The trigger's nice & crisp (single stage), but not too light.

I'd say it compares well with the Anschutz carbine I've used in the past.

B

post-3938-1165916817.jpg

I use a Finnfire Varmint. Great guns!

I can get very good groups with it at 100m.

Only thing to watch is the case ejector spring. Mine popped out about a week after I bought it.. havent replaced it yet though as I try to collect all cases, and like this I can pull the case off the bolt manually

da6de56b.jpg

i have the opertunity to buy a Sako Finnfire 22lr are they as good as my anchutz 1416 i imagine so they are made in fFinland anyone out their got one and if so is it a good or bad gun my intuition tells me that it is probably pretty good any advise will be great thanks.

They are good guns, but in my opinion it won't come near the quality or accuracy of your anschutz.

I have the Finnfire, and whilst I do think that they are a little over-priced, considering they have a lot of plastic in them, they are very accurate. I know that this will upset some of the CZ owners, but if the correct ammo is used they are far more accurate than any CZ I have used. This is due to the tighter chamber and better made barrel.

The only real downside is that crappy little bit of wire that calls itself an “Ejectorâ€. Replaced mine with one I made myself after the original broke.

Now if only they could blend the Finnfire barrel with a CZ ejector……….. :unsure:

G.M.

They are good guns, but in my opinion it won't come near the quality or accuracy of your anschutz.

Sorry Oly, but they just as accurate.

I currently have a Sako Rimmy Varmint with a chopped down barrel, and with Eley subs it is superb.

I also have an Anschutz 17 hmr, and that is also very good. I have also shot Anchutz 0.22 rimmys in the past.

Both are very accurate, with excellent triggers.

However, the plastic magazine of the Sako is far better than the metal one on the Anshcutz. The metal magazine of the Anschutz is fiddly, and a pain in the butt if you are in a hurry.

Don

got both anschutz and sako here, love them both.

with little adjustment you can get the sako trigger very nice although its single stage, i would also shorten the barrel if its a varmint and you are hunting with it. i took mine down to 16.5" and its a wicked little bunny basher.

not had the ejector trouble with mine but it is a documented fault but easily fixed, in my experience the 5 shot mags are more reliable than the 9-10 shot jobbies.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat as dead eyed duck. So can only echo his comments. My Sako is the heavy barrel, and is a bit of a lump, but is extremeley accurate. McF has a BRUNO, which is ok, but he will shoot with my Sako at every oppertunity.

Go get it bought.

webber

I have the Finnfire, and whilst I do think that they are a little over-priced, considering they have a lot of plastic in them, they are very accurate. I know that this will upset some of the CZ owners, but if the correct ammo is used they are far more accurate than any CZ I have used. This is due to the tighter chamber and better made barrel.

The only real downside is that crappy little bit of wire that calls itself an “Ejectorâ€. Replaced mine with one I made myself after the original broke.

Now if only they could blend the Finnfire barrel with a CZ ejector……….. :yes:

G.M.

Must be fantastic guns then because I have had 3 Anschutz and now have a CZ Silhouette and I can't tell the difference.

Now if only they could blend the Finnfire barrel with a CZ ejector……….. :lol:

G.M.

Must be fantastic guns then because I have had 3 Anschutz and now have a CZ Silhouette and I can't tell the difference.

Can’t tell the difference……you surprise me, although having said that I find that a lot of shooters who use ordinary ammo also find this.

I use Eley Tenex in my Sako and this will group into an inch at 100yds, whereas the Eley Extra HP won’t group less than 2 inches at that distance (sometimes worse).

Spend some time trying a better type of ammo, try some Eley Match for instance, but don’t get the newer stuff (EPS) as it has a flat point and will snag on the breech face as it feeds from the mag’.

My Sako is most definitely more accurate than any CZ that I have fired, but as I say, I do use top quality ammo’ otherwise the difference isn’t as noticeable…but it is still there.

G.M.

I use Winchester HP's and I honestly cannot say one was more accurate than the other but then I don't shoot alot of paper, only to zero but the CZ has grouped very well when I have zeroed it. The 22 Anschutz I had was the Carbine model. I take your point regarding ammo but as I only hunt with it I prefer HP's as they ricochet a little less than solid nose bullets.

Just out of interest I have owned 2 x Anschutz HMR's a 1517HB and a 1717 DHB.

The 1517 would group perfectly from a clean bore whereas the 1717 would take 30 - 40 shots before it would shoot a decent group??

I only use the Sako for hunting (I use my Anschutz match rifle for paper), but still find that the Tenex is ideal for headshots. As you say, ricochets are a problem on level ground but nothing to worry about when shooting into a bank or warren

As for the .17s, well I have been listening to a couple of lads at the club for a couple of weeks. Both bought a .17hmr CZ, both are using CCI, both clean after @ 50rds, but one is having a hell of a job getting it to group.

I got fed up with having to keep an eye on my .17hmr so I have sold it and I am getting a nice little .22 Hornet to use instead. :lol:

G.M.

I only use the Sako for hunting (I use my Anschutz match rifle for paper), but still find that the Tenex is ideal for headshots. As you say, ricochets are a problem on level ground but nothing to worry about when shooting into a bank or warren

As for the .17s, well I have been listening to a couple of lads at the club for a couple of weeks. Both bought a .17hmr CZ, both are using CCI, both clean after @ 50rds, but one is having a hell of a job getting it to group.

I got fed up with having to keep an eye on my .17hmr so I have sold it and I am getting a nice little .22 Hornet to use instead. :lol:

G.M.

I would tell the lad to try and not clean it and see if it is like my 1717.

I too have sold mine and bought a Hornet, its being screwcut at the moment but I am looking forward to getting it back and giving it a whirl.

i find that if i shoot eley or lapua club it takes a few rounds then result is amazing ,but i have found difernt guns have difernt favorites for example my anchutz shoots eley practice and federal gold match realy well my cz shoots lapua club and remington yellow jackets quite nicley and my hamerli 22 pistol shoots eley and winchester wild cats very respectable and i supose when i get my finnfire i will test some dfernt brands aswell :lol:

• 10 years later...
On 12/12/2006 at 09:50, benj said:

I've got a Finnfire Hunter & I love it, would never part with it! :unsure:

Bought mine second hand so saved a few pounds, but had a shock when it came to buy spare magazines, £37!!

It's very, very light, even more so now the barrel's been chopped. The bolt is smooth with a shallow lift, no bashing knuckles on your scope.

The trigger's nice & crisp (single stage), but not too light.

I'd say it compares well with the Anschutz carbine I've used in the past.

B

post-3938-1165916817.jpg

Nice looking rifle benj

3 hours ago, psycho said:

My lungs are burning with the dust from this thread

Why do people complain,  when an old thread is found relevant by someone to the point of feeling compelled to contribute ?

It's just talk; sharing ideas /opinions .... it should not be so tedious ( hurtful to one's lungs )