Solway Novice.

shootingmike

So I've been wildfowling for about 7 years now, but have never ventured to the Solway or Norfolk / washes etc.

This year, I fancy expanding my horizons a bit but haven't a clue where to start. My father in law used to shoot on the Solway a long time ago at places like Auchencairn Bay, Wigtown but wouldn't have a clue where to go now.

Ideally, we could do with some suggestions as to a couple of places where we could rent a cottage / caravan / shed or even b&b that has easy foreshore access without having to join clubs / have permits etc.

I can get the BASC pdf file for the permit scheme but it's knowing which areas to look at, where to stay, how and where to access the merse that we need to know....

Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

Errr, ok... Possibly a more helpful answer would be if you told me which guy, which club, permit for where and the contact details, or do i need to guess?

ya a cheeky get..he was tryn to help you out all you had to do was ask again nicely....nee manners or what!!....sorry terry boils me ..iss that like :yes:

Really, how so?

I asked if anyone could help me out with actual locations and accomodation for somewhere im clueless about. What I got in reply was to pay six quid for a permit from a "guy" without any mention of names of actual locations, clubs, or people. A bit like asking for recommendations for a family friendly resort in spain with a pool and kids club, and being told "buy an atlas".

Whilst I did say that any help was appreciated, I would suggest my initial post clearly asked for details. Then in post number 5, I clearly said cheers to Terry anyway for his input limited though it was, as I am polite and appreciate any help.

Unless you have anything constructive to add, may i suggest you check in your kitchen before your .iss boils over.

Edited by shootingmike

Mike I doubt anyone will give you specific areas to shoot fella, I always buy an os map of the area I intend to shoot and try and get a rough idea of it in my head. I then look at the nearest village,town etc and google the required accom available in that area.

Its taken me years and a lot of money to find marks and gain peoples trust, therefore I would not put the information all over an open forum. Enjoy finding out about an area I find all part of the joy of fowling.

Several members of the forum have in the past put up threads asking for all the info its taken other members a life time to build up and then seen their **** when they not received it and

if i'm honest I did find your initial reply a bit cheeky but being welsh i'm used to being picked on, bullied and generally derided :lol: . We're happy to help but theres a difference between helping and giving everything away.

Enjoy your travels fella, for me its the best part of wildfowling, expect to spend far to much money for very little reward in the bag department but many, many awesome memories and sometimes just every now and again a blue moon will rise and that flight of a life times comes along.

Thanks again Terry and no offence intended.. I think it's a typical case of the written word being interpreted deifferently to how it's meant. I can see how it looks a bit smart ar$ed but If you were to read my original reply again, then add a smiley face with a tongue stuck out, that is how I meant it!! Only problem is, I'm using an iPad and couldn't find the damn smileys!

I do realise after several years of fowling that people can be quite secretive and understandably so for the reasons you mention.

I just need some pointers as I could guarantee if I were to pick a spot on a map, it would be a rip tide infested, quick sand death trap that hasn't seen a goose in 100 years. I only have 1 kind of luck you see - I could reach in a barel of fannies and pull out my wife's!

I'll get cracking with some googling and map work though.

And genuinely, thanks again! (still can't find smileys!)

Mike I have not shot the Solway for years , but I would give you 2 warnings. Beware of the very fast strong tides and be wary of the sand than can grip your boots like a vice , even when you have only sunken in a few inches it can be awkward to pull out of. Having said that I think most of the sands are now out of bounds for shooting with the revised reserve boundaries..

I shot the Solway some yeas ago Mike & was a bit saddened see to the number of goons always armed with Pogo Sticks blasting away at pinks way out of range which became to much for one fowler so much so that he walked over to some goons & we could just make out in the morning light this very tall man standing above the creek they were in wagging his finger at them & giving them a dam good verbal lashing , I never went back after that .

Pole Star

Really, how so?

I asked if anyone could help me out with actual locations and accomodation for somewhere im clueless about. What I got in reply was to pay six quid for a permit from a "guy" without any mention of names of actual locations, clubs, or people. A bit like asking for recommendations for a family friendly resort in spain with a pool and kids club, and being told "buy an atlas".

Whilst I did say that any help was appreciated, I would suggest my initial post clearly asked for details. Then in post number 5, I clearly said cheers to Terry anyway for his input limited though it was, as I am polite and appreciate any help.

Unless you have anything constructive to add, may i suggest you check in your kitchen before your .iss boils over.

its the way you asked...constructive and correct!

I shot the Solway some yeas ago Mike & was a bit saddened see to the number of goons always armed with Pogo Sticks blasting away at pinks way out of range which became to much for one fowler so much so that he walked over to some goons & we could just make out in the morning light this very tall man standing above the creek they were in wagging his finger at them & giving them a dam good verbal lashing , I never went back after that .

Pole Star

[unfortunately, behaviour like that is not just restricted to the Solway. You should see Findhorn Bay some mornings, more like the Alamo./quote]

Pole Star

[unfortunately, behaviour like that is not just restricted to the Solway. You should see Findhorn Bay some mornings, more like the Alamo./quote]

True its starting to happen here now & this kind of fowling or so called fowling brings us all down & I don't like to say this but when I see this kind of thing I would not be sorry to see the Pogo stick consigned to section 5 ! , Just in anger I say this .

ATB Pole Star

Edited by Pole Star

Stayed in the carruthers town and farmers. First one beats it every time! Better food, better atmosphere, better landlord, better locals! Some of the lads in the carruthers town do like a drink which suits me! Got talking to one of them and he offered me his 10g for a flight or 2. Great bloke. Just wish it shot straight for me that morning!!!