Medical required ??

ronttuk

Long story I had my fac revoked some 7 years ago decided to reapply earlier this year had FEO pop round for a chat etc he said due to being revoked it will take longer to go through the system,

Today I get a letter saying I have to have a medical at police doctors and I MIGHT have to have blood tests and alcohol screen for some reason having not had any alcohol for over 5yrs and never taken any illegal drugs im confused why they want this information,

Anyone had any similar experiences ?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be concerned that it was by a police doctor as it should be a independent doctor and if your licence was previously revoked for drink or Illegal substances offences the police may want satisfied this is no longer the case (not saying you were revoked for this reason)

I agree with the BASC line as routine applications, but this is not a routine application. It sounds to me that the FEO has real hesitations about the application and the gypsies warning about it taking longer would make me think twice about throwing my money into medical tests, because there would still be no guarantee that approval with be forthcoming. :no:

I would start by asking them why you need it, when you will have character references on your application and your previous revocation was for something entirely different. Confirm you are happy for them to contact your Doctor over any issues whatsoever but that you will be contacing your shooting organisation for advice and guidance as this request seems a little unreasonable. Join BASC immediately and get them involved - cheaper than a medical and you will get support.

Good luck.

Your GP can only give factual statements regarding your medical history and relevant treatment or medication amd should not be giving any opinions about your mental or physical well being, so unless the Police doctor is a qualified pyschiatrist I fail to see what he will garner from the medical.

The entire thing sounds quite farcical to me.

As suggested, join BASC ASAP and get them involved.

just imagine if you had a medical when you took out your driving licence you had to give good reason for wanting a car (more lethal than a gun in the wrong hands )how many people would be granted one keep it secure have to show your licence to buy fuel my point is if they applied the same critterior to car ownership there wouldn,t be many folks owning one

yep they are,its a pilot scheme backed by the basc (as my feo told me) and if succesfull will be made mandatory.

also a medical from your own gp which you must pay for

No it isn't. Your FEO is telling you lies and I think you should ask to talk to the Firearms Licencing Officer/team leader and find out why there FEO's are telling lies and misleading people.

being a bus driver I think if im ok to drive 65 people around in one vehicle im considered safe out in public lol

Unfortunately in this country if you want to own a gun, that makes you a unstable loner with an obsession for guns that means you are liable to snap at any moment...........if the press is to be believed :ninja:

As said, join a shooting org, I'm sure they'll be wanting to fight these ridiculous conditions being put on individuals.

For everyone, or just people who have had their license revoked.

i had my feo here two week ago for fac renewl ( i just missed it by one week ) and he tells me its a six month pilot scheme and if succesfull will be brought in to the application process