Medical required ??

ronttuk

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i had my feo here two week ago for fac renewl ( i just missed it by one week ) and he tells me its a six month pilot scheme and if succesfull will be brought in to the application process

They can "bring in" what they like but it will NOT be a legal requirement. The only requirement are the things which are specified in the Act or the rules made under the Act. Those rules are made by the home office, not individual police forces. You cannot be refused for failing to fill out a form or give a consent which the law does not require.

J.

SIH, in my opinion that's is what will happen, the powers that be, including the anti backed protection groups will chip and chip away until it is impractical or too costly to shoot, as opposed to an outright ban, forcing people to simply not bother.

Monitored alarm systems and now medical tests, we'll be needing a second job just to pay for the cost of shooting soon.

Anyone would pass, surely? Unless, of course, you went to the test immediately after having had a drink which no one apart from the terminally stupid would do.

J.

Liver function test will tell them if you are an alcoholic even if you have not drunk for some time.

Join BASC! Write to liscencing manager explain how FEO misled you, cite your PSV entitlement with medical if you have had one and explain you are not willing to undergo the tests unless they provide you with a good reason for them to require them (history of abuse) copy letter in writing to PCC and cheif constable giving them 7 days to respond!

I had to agree to random drink/drug tests to get on a building site the otherday totally pointless but had to agree to the possibility of a test

Surely it will simply tell them how your liver is functioning?

J.

Its dodgy, there are indices that will suggest alcohol abuse but are also common in other illnesses such as leukaemia, but as others have said, and you, that liver function tests only tell a story through a very narrow window.

Surely it will simply tell them how your liver is functioning?

J.

Quite correct - I know someone who underwent tests that revealed damage to her liver, was then interviewed by medical staff regarding her 'drinking habits' - she doesn't drink alcohol and never has. Turns out her condition has the same affect on her liver as excess alcohol does.

Edited by beanieboy

I would be concerned that it was by a police doctor as it should be a independent doctor and if your licence was previously revoked for drink or Illegal substances offences the police may want satisfied this is no longer the case (not saying you were revoked for this reason)

How is an independent Doctor defined?

I'm not sure if they are legally allowed to request these tests. If you are a member of BASC or similar, I would phone them for advice.

They can ask for pretty much whatever test/check they like if they have potential grounds to justify it.

If you don't think they have the grounds then you can challenge them, and in most cases you will lose and not get a FAC, the courts will back anything that may be in the public interest these days against the rights of the individual where guns are concerned.

Let's say they did test you and you were over what ever limit they impose, as far as I am aware their is no law against having a drink so what could they say? Mr blogs you were over our non enforceable made up limit, yes officer I had a drink at home which is a perfectly legal thing to do. Mr blogs your liver test shows your a alcoholic, yes officer but they are only similaritys between the results and "symptoms", they don't give a definitive cause, maybe it's a underling medical condition.

Then what?

Let's say they did test you and you were over what ever limit they impose, as far as I am aware their is no law against having a drink so what could they say? Mr blogs you were over our non enforceable made up limit, yes officer I had a drink at home which is a perfectly legal thing to do. Mr blogs your liver test shows your a alcoholic, yes officer but they are only similaritys between the results and "symptoms", they don't give a definitive cause, maybe it's a underling medical condition.

Then what?

They don't need specific limits or levels, they simply have to show a case why they consider you an unfit person, or frankly, talking FAC, it's more like YOU have a to demonstrate why you are a fit person.

Example:

What has it got to do with shooting if you got banned from driving through drink, if your guns were locked up at home? It's likely there would be a knock on the door just the same to remove your hardware.

You challenge them if you don't think they have a case! :good:

Edited by Dekers

• 2 weeks later...

Well I went for the medical today,

I was asked a few silly questions nothing really relevant to shooting , then I asked the doctor if he wanted proof of my ID he seemed surprised and asked if I have I brought any with me I showed him my driving licence and my CPC licence, he asked what my CPC was I toild him it was for my PSV as im a bus driver, he asked if I was currently employed as a bus driver which I told him I was his reply was why do the police want me to take a medical then ?

He then asked me to fill in a questionnaire sheet about how I felt in myself he read it then said cant see why ive been asked to take a medical shook my hand and let me leave it took all of 5 mins.

So hopefully that's it and I will get a new SGC I will keep you informed either way

Bit confused....in your opening post you say your FAC was revoked....your last post says you hope to get your SGC, which one was the medical for ? or have I missed something ??

I had both before FAC and SGC I am just applying for a SGC at the moment

• 1 year later...

Well after 16 months I have been told The police think I am not fit to hold a SGC but I can appeal and if I lose I have to pay costs, chelmsford fire arms dept say this can be up to £5000.00 has anyone else appealed a refusal and lost or won thier case as I do not have 5k spare if I loose??

Well after 16 months I have been told The police think I am not fit to hold a SGC but I can appeal and if I lose I have to pay costs, chelmsford fire arms dept say this can be up to £5000.00 has anyone else appealed a refusal and lost or won thier case as I do not have 5k spare if I loose??

Exactly what grounds did they state? Did you see the letter from the Doctor?