Motor Scooters

onefulham

Hi bit of advice wanted on something I know nothing about. My son, 16 now, 17 in 2 months has just got a part time job at Waitrose, we are very proud as 300 applied, 36 interviewed for 9 jobs and he got one. He loves it and we have dropped and picked him up so far, he has a cycle and it is possible to ride the 3 miles but there are a few horrible hills.

We have had a terrible year, lost 2 aunts but in their 80's then real tragedy my 16yr old nephew suddenly died after a simple accident. 2 weeks after his funeral my Mother fell ill and died in 8 hrs. I will be glad when 2013 is over. There will be some money from my Mum and I said I will give each of my 4 children £2000 each.

Sorry for waffling, my question is about Scooters, Matthew is after one and I need advice. Licences seem a minefield, CBT, 50 or 125cc scooter, insurance, does the no claims bonus built up on scooter insurance count towards car insurance later, new or second hand bike, good make and models to look out for, good dealers( we live in Beds), any extras to think of? I think that's enough questions !

Thank you for any advice.

If stick to one of the main makes like with all things you won't go far wrong and good second hand one is best.

Or help him through his car test and get a cheap car, much much safer. This what we done with our children, sleep easier then son on a moped. Though they are cheap to run.

Figgy

Bike/scooter no claims doesn't transfer to cars in my experience...

They allowed me to transfer one year from mine, if he's desperate for transport then a cbt is relatively easy and their are plenty of second hand mopeds/125s about. A 125 will obvioously cost more to run, insure etc. If it was me I'd buy a cheap moped (as long as it's road worthy) do the cbt then crack on with car lessons. Cars at his age are more social, don't get ****** wet through, have a cage around them, can go on road trips etc plus if he builds his no claims at a earlier age it will pay off in the long run. all things said I'm looking to do my full bike licence, but I am 25 and will use a car aswell.

With car insurance being what it is for young drivers now, a 125 at 17 is not a bad option, something like a cbf125 is good, easy to handle for an inexperienced rider and will return 100mpg. On a side not it may also be worth doing a car test even if he won't be driving, a friend of mine went 3 years between passing and actually getting on the road, by which time he was older and had held a licence for three years, his first years insurance was a fraction compared to the rest of us despite having no more experience.

With car insurance being what it is for young drivers now, a 125 at 17 is not a bad option, something like a cbf125 is good, easy to handle for an inexperienced rider and will return 100mpg. On a side not it may also be worth doing a car test even if he won't be driving, a friend of mine went 3 years between passing and actually getting on the road, by which time he was older and had held a licence for three years, his first years insurance was a fraction compared to the rest of us despite having no more experience.

Good idea to do his car test early as well, anything to bring the horrendous car insurance down has to help.

I know the fears of riding bikes/scooters but although I have not you see loads of them on the road and sensible riders ok, not like the **** who overtook us on a blind bend at about 90 on the A6 this afternoon, they tend to be the ones you see wrapped around trees, though I know anyone can be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

There's a place just outside Bedford that do a CBT for about £90 which includes the bike hire-you stay all day until you pass. I would then look around for a Honda 100cc bike or similar-scooters don't handle as well with the smaller wheels and the smaller (than 125) engine is cheaper to insure.

I've ridden bikes for 30 odd years without a major problem, my boy started at 16 and only packed it on at 20 when he went to Uni, still no problem. Despite personally knowing several hundred bikers none have died or been involved in a serious accident. On the forum I visit there are 18000 users and in the 10 years I've been using it there were two deaths. Accidents happen, same as with guns and cars. If you've a nice tidy sum of money in the bank then wait and get him a car. £1k for the car, the same for lessons and £1.5k-3k for insurance.

Your boy will have to do his CBT to ride a 50cc. For the journey to work it will be perfect for less than a 15 minute ride. £200 - 300 insurance and 60-120mpg according to model. I always go second hand but have a really good look at the scoot. Ignore the cosmetics, they get abused and are generally poor quality to start with. I've never paid more than £200 for a good runner. What sort of roads will he be riding on? if it involves NSL then he might be better waiting and getting a 125.

Having ridden bikes from my late teens on the road I would say get him here http://www.geton.co.uk/free-ride for a free hour lesson to see if he actually likes it.

Mopeds can offer a 16 year old great freedom on nothing more than a CBT and as long as they are used on appropriate roads, do so at a speed that youngsters can learn at. If his riding would involve a lot of national speed limit etc I would wait until he could get a 125 as that would give him the speed to just keep up with traffic and a little more acceleration. I would go for something like a CBF 125 or a YBR 125, not fancy but will get the job done and you won't write the bike off if you drop it.

I see far more youngun's badly injured in car accidents than on motorcycles.

Leave the motor bike and stick with getting him through his car test, at that age they are in the high risk group, with no real road experience. A friend of mine had there life devastated with there son on his first bike, sorry for the doom and gloom.

Chris

If we all took that view there wouldn't be any bikers! If your son is keen on bikes then maybe you could encourage him, perhaps even do your CBT with him. In my opinion I think everyone should have to spend some time on two wheels, you then have an idea of what to look out for as far as bikes are concerned when you become a car driver. Riding a motorcycle requires much more skill and concentration then driving a car.

Just my two pennyworth, Neil

Bike/scooter no claims doesn't transfer to cars in my experience...

Recently, one or two companies that do both bike and car insurance have started taking bike no claims into account when moving over to a car.

Neil

If you get him a scooter look out for after market exhausts , try and find one that's standard and hasn't been messed about with as lt seem's most want to make them go faster re jetting them and and low weight rolller's !

There's a lot of abused scooters out there :yes:

Where about in beds are you were from Bedford me and my 3 boys are all biker's could meet up for a chat if you close

Colin

Thanks Colin, we live in Maulden, Clophill end, though might be a few months till he gets his scooter, where abouts in Bedford are you, are you and what have you all got ?

If we all took that view there wouldn't be any bikers! If your son is keen on bikes then maybe you could encourage him, perhaps even do your CBT with him. In my opinion I think everyone should have to spend some time on two wheels, you then have an idea of what to look out for as far as bikes are concerned when you become a car driver. Riding a motorcycle requires much more skill and concentration then driving a car.

Just my two pennyworth, Neil

Recently, one or two companies that do both bike and car insurance have started taking bike no claims into account when moving over to a car.

Neil

Any idea what insurance companies might take bike ncb into account ?

Having ridden bikes from my late teens on the road I would say get him here http://www.geton.co.uk/free-ride for a free hour lesson to see if he actually likes it.

Mopeds can offer a 16 year old great freedom on nothing more than a CBT and as long as they are used on appropriate roads, do so at a speed that youngsters can learn at. If his riding would involve a lot of national speed limit etc I would wait until he could get a 125 as that would give him the speed to just keep up with traffic and a little more acceleration. I would go for something like a CBF 125 or a YBR 125, not fancy but will get the job done and you won't write the bike off if you drop it.

I see far more youngun's badly injured in car accidents than on motorcycles.

Thanks for this bit of advice, signed him up for the free ride, just gotta wait for a date.

We are in Clapham 1 mile north they have all past their tests now and have

zx600

fazer600

bandit 600

and i have a sv 650

though between them they have have a few different 50s and 125s

if i was you i would get him through his cbt then wait and get a Honda cbr or cbf 125

100 mpg

cheap ish insurance and road tax

Colin

We are in Clapham 1 mile north they have all past their tests now and have

zx600

fazer600

bandit 600

and i have a sv 650

though between them they have have a few different 50s and 125s

if i was you i would get him through his cbt then wait and get a Honda cbr or cbf 125

100 mpg

cheap ish insurance and road tax

Colin

Thanks, sort of idea we have as well.