Engine warning light - Freelander TD4

Penelope

Any advice please.

5 weeks ago whilst driving home from work, the engine warning light (orange engine shaped light with ! in the middle) flashed on for about 10 seconds and went off, came on again about 30 seconds later and then the turbo blew (mechanic informed me after investigation that it was the turbo). Mentioned the warning light, mechanic said that he had cleared the light and taken it for a spin and all was ok.

I have had a recon turbo, breather etc fitted. I picked the car up last Monday and appeared fine, put it in for it's MOT (Failed - servo vacuum pump), had this done and picked it up on Saturday. A few local trips with no problem.

I used it today for the drive to work (60miles) for the first time since the turbo went, only for the engine warning to come on once for approx. 10 seconds on the M11, again twice for a few seconds each time on the M25 and once on the A30 for a few seconds. The car appears to be driving fine, no unusual noise, no smoke out the back.

Does anyone have any ideas why the light is coming on?

Thanks Alex, As I thought, but just wanted to see if anyone had had a similar experience.

My real concern is something going bang again after just shelling out £1,160.00.

Car mechanics is not my forte.

everyone can guess but get it plugged in, could be the EGR valve is gummed up after the turbo going but most things will be a guess.

Well, I have the return 60 mile journey home to test it.

Thanks for the replies.

cross your fingers then, get the code read and see what the issue is, a flash suggests its probably emissions related and you might find thats the last of it after a good run.

I have an orange 'engine management' light on my VW T5 transporter thats been on for nearly 6 years <sigh>

it gets code read every now again (at MOT and/or Taxi test time) and reset, then it will come on randomly after a few hours / days or a week later ??? Usually its one of the lamda sensors (usually the same one) Obviously my lamda's are defficient in some way or other :lol: but its made no difference to the running/driving.

VW and my local VW dealer cant really tell me what purpose sensing my lamda's serves, but a new sensor fitted is £155 fitted THANK YOU :) (NO Bloomin'ThankYOU)

Going back tomorrow.

Driving home last night from work, the light came on and off, and the car was so underpowered in 4th and 5th with absolutely no guts. Had the AA out, but they couldn't find the problem. Limped home a sub 50mph on the A414 from St. Albans with the AA following.

I would take it back to where you had the stuff fitted and get them to sort it out!

Without scanning the car everything is a guess but the MAF sensor is one thing that is causing a lot of problems on diesels and will cause it to be severly underpowered. Another thing could be the EGR valve which get clogged with carbon and stick.

If the turbo has gone then there could be a lot of oil in the induction system / breather system which could have foobarred a sensor.

I downloaded TORQUE on my Galaxy S3 and got a cheap OBD 2 Bluetooth connector on the bay. So for around £10 I can scan cars and reset fault lights etc.

A few people have mentioned the EGR valve.

Without scanning the car everything is a guess but the MAF sensor is one thing that is causing a lot of problems on diesels and will cause it to be severly underpowered. Another thing could be the EGR valve which get clogged with carbon and stick.

If the turbo has gone then there could be a lot of oil in the induction system / breather system which could have foobarred a sensor.

I downloaded TORQUE on my Galaxy S3 and got a cheap OBD 2 Bluetooth connector on the bay. So for around £10 I can scan cars and reset fault lights etc.

thats because basically the valve recirculates a certain amount of exhaust gas back into the combustion process, when a turbo goes it throws a stack of oil past the seals and then through the egr valve and the exhaust. this pretty much cooks and so can wreck the egr valve