Dog trouble

Best way to keep dogs on leads is a sign with a pest control company logo and the words "VERMIN POISON IN USE! Please keep to the footpath and keeps dogs on leads. Thankyou." Works every time especially with a few poison boxes in view.

Edited by Gillaroo

I think you will find the law on live stock doesn't cover birds it is a very old law and covers sheep and I believe pigs I know birds do not count as we had a similar problem with a dog on the chicken farm which chased the chickens into the shed causing them to pile up on each other the floor collapsed 5000 birds dead. Owner was furious and was going to shoot the dog on warning the owner found out he would be the one prosecuted

As to the above "Game birds are not included unless the birds are taken into possession i.e. in a release pen or laying pen, once released from a pen they are considered wild and therefore they do not belong to anyone."

The dog did not go into the release pen in fact whilst they are freely released by the owner they become a wild bird this criminal law stated above would not stand up in court FACT

As to the above "Game birds are not included unless the birds are taken into possession i.e. in a release pen or laying pen, once released from a pen they are considered wild and therefore they do not belong to anyone."

The dog did not go into the release pen in fact whilst they are freely released by the owner they become a wild bird this criminal law stated above would not stand up in court FACT

Where does it say that the dog has to go into the pen?

The BASC guidance describes "worrying" as:

"Chasing livestock in such a way that it could reasonably be expected to cause injury or suffering"

The first post on this thread says:

"All birds in the pen erupted and I was fuming. Shouted at the dog and luckily it let the bird go which ran off a bit worse for ware. The dog continued to patrol the edge of the pen winding up the birds"

Therefore, I think that you could argue that in this case the birds in the pen were "worried" by the dog.

Personally, I still wouldn't shoot the dog, as I wouldn't want to have to deal with all the **** that would follow. I'm just making the point that game birds are "livestock" when they are in a release pen.

I think that the snares are the way to go, you could always put out signs saying snares are set in the area.

We tell our trespassers that there are people using the wood to stalk deer with high powered rifles but if they stay on the footpaths they will be safe, doesn't work for everyone but the majority stay on the right of way.

I think this will 1. Give us all in field sports a bad name 2. reflect badly on the safe use of rifles in the public eye. We have enough stress over the Badger cull anti using the argument (dangerous high power rifles that can kill many miles away)2. Do we use snares were there is serious risk of accidental capture of non target species? We shouldn't!

I should go the legal route personally either 1. criminal for the issue of an ASBO 0r 2. Civil for damages in the county court. The nice approach has failed so don't give the anti's or argument seeker any excuse to claim you are in the wrong

telling someone that staying on a public footpath and not wandering where they are not supposed to will keep them safe is no different to telling spectators at a clay shoot to stay behind the guns.

As for snares they are set in the wood with the usual precautions against wild non target species, but I don't see why we shouldn`t set them

just because some one doesn`t want to comply by keeping their dog on a lead (which is now law) a public footpath being a public place.

Must admit not easy, i personally don't like the warning snares (esp very near the footpath) or high velocity bullets as it gives the impression that there is a danger to the public and i think shows shooters in a bad light (as others have said)

Shooting dogs is a big NO NO no matter wot the law says, even for stock worrying it is the last resort

I think something like wild bird conservation area, stick up a few bird boxes and mibee a laminated poster telling them all the work u do for them. Will work with the majority of normal decent folk

For the stubborn ones i would be going down the stinky dead animal route but well enough away from footpath so not to bother the decent folk

OR warning signs for either adders or ticks/lymes disease OR planting some whins (gorse) or brairs (brambles) or something equally jaggy and nasty where they cut off footpath

2 of my mates have put adder signs up to great effect althou to be fair there are adders at both bits.

But wot normal pet owner is going to walk there dogs where it could get bit by an adder or ticks or risk the chance of lymes disease

A

Must admit not easy, i personally don't like the warning snares (esp very near the footpath) or high velocity bullets as it gives the impression that there is a danger to the public and i think shows shooters in a bad light (as others have said)

But wot normal pet owner is going to walk there dogs where it could get bit by an adder or ticks or risk the chance of lymes disease

Firstly our snares are no where near the footpath but then neither are the trespassers and their dogs, that is the problem.

There is a definite danger to the public if a stalker is working the wood and these trespassers choose to walk through the middle of the wood instead of staying on the marked footpath that follows the outer wall, after all no one would ignore signs on a rifle range. we have great backstops throughout the wood and there is no danger to the public if they stay on the footpath.

Why should we as shooters give up our sport when a few people choose to ignore and destroy warning signs, and ignore verbal warnings.

Last season we were all lined out on a gun line when two walkers appeared around the bend, I blew my whistle and everyone broke their guns. I approached them and asked if they where lost as they where off the public footpath, "we are exercising our right to roam" they answered, I explained to them the rules about fenced/walled woodland not being included in the right to roam laws, after a few minutes they turned and retraced their steps.

As for ticks the bracken in the wood is full of them, as are their dogs when they get them home, hence front line sales are quite high in this area( my mate sells pet supplies).

Edited by malantone

All i'm saying is more than 1 way to skin a cat, those who are aggainst field sports or really don't give a fig will ignore warning signs anyway even at the expense of ther own personal safety, So i think they are a bit of a waste off time

But if they thought there cute fluffy pet dog might get bit by a horrid tick or worse an adder they might think twice, or if there dog always comes home stinking after rolling in something they will quickly find somewhere else, or if they have to clamber throu a strech of jaggy gorse/thorn etc that would stop wost mental spaniels, bound to help.

Malatone i never said ur snares were near the footpath or we should surrender anything all i'm saying is be a bit smarter/flyier about it and make it as difficult akward as possible for people to come off the footpath, u will never stop the real die hards but most folk will always take the easy option

All i'm saying is more than 1 way to skin a cat, those who are aggainst field sports or really don't give a fig will ignore warning signs anyway even at the expense of ther own personal safety, So i think they are a bit of a waste off time

But if they thought there cute fluffy pet dog might get bit by a horrid tick or worse an adder they might think twice, or if there dog always comes home stinking after rolling in something they will quickly find somewhere else, or if they have to clamber throu a strech of jaggy gorse/thorn etc that would stop wost mental spaniels, bound to help.

Malatone i never said ur snares were near the footpath or we should surrender anything all i'm saying is be a bit smarter/flyier about it and make it as difficult akward as possible for people to come off the footpath, u will never stop the real die hards but most folk will always take the easy option

Oh that we could make it difficult for them but the footpath is a brown line about 2 feet wide all the way around the inside of the wall of the wood , they can take to the trees at any point in the three miles of path, but I do like the idea of road kill scattered about.

Not sure the answer is to this one the only thing I can think off is to go down the civil route you could contact your local parish council re the trespass and he dangers of the leaving the foot paths. I have heard not sure if its true but you can apply to the council for the for path to be moved. I got told this of a professional walker that ended up in a farmers back garden. They had the foot path moved to the outer boundaries of the main farm.

It's worth looking into just for the safety aspect.