Anyone else not shoot the first month?

margun

As the title suggests, I very rarely shoot in September, the odd exception being made if the geese are hitting the stubbles when I might go once or twice. To me, it doesn't feel right in the warm and I prefer not to shoot young duck without their full adult plumage/mottled heads. Plus, the mozzies do my head in!

Does anyone else prefer waiting until the weather cools?

Edited by margun

Always shoot from the start, never seen flappers on the foreshore. Usually plenty of fresh teal in at the start which come and go as they pass through heading west. The geese tend to get shot up a bit on the first and flight lines change repeatedly depending on shooting pressure and stubbles getting ploughed in, like wise mallard can be there on day one then sat on a reservoir inland for the next six months lol.

Different issues if you shoot inland with lots of young birds hardly able to fly using drains and ditches I would guess this year. Maybe the inland season should not start until 1st October ??

September the first is a special day for me. The atmosphere on the first morning is nothing short of majical and I would not miss it for the world. While I look forward to later on it the season when the wigeon or pinks are in but even so there is nothing like dawn on September the first when out on the misty river the mallard start quacking and you know as soon as its light enough they will flight , with luck over you , but somehow it does not matter that much if the flight is a blank, the important thing is that you are there.

Sometimes good bags of resident geese are made as they have felt safe for months on end, is that sport? Its more a social thing but I am not prepared to put much effort in and you do need to be selective on which shots you take. In my mind its more about recon.

I don't usually bother with Sept, but my 8 yr old is desperate to join me on the marsh so we'll be heading out for a few days early Sept before the new term starts at school. Then I'll wait until the weather chills and the pinks come in. Only a couple of weeks away now so good sport to all those heading out.

I am desperate to go wildfowling this year as have never been before.

Is there a good place I can go where it would be possible to go out with someone experienced?

Your best bet would be to try and contact your local wildfowling club, often easier said than done depending on location. Hopefully you can join or get a day ticket and head out onto the foreshore with an experienced fowler. Good luck.

Your best bet would be to try and contact your local wildfowling club, often easier said than done depending on location. Hopefully you can join or get a day ticket and head out onto the foreshore with an experienced fowler. Good luck.

Got onto Kent Wild Fowling and hopefully will get to sort something out. Thanks for that!

Having not missed a 1st Sept in 20yrs up until this past two seasons' and this year i will also not bother.I always considered it a tradition' but I just do not have the urge to go out on the 1st anymore.

Come October' when the birds start filtering down from the north' and awaken me in the middle of the night as they go over the house' "As they have down since i was boy" And i still get out of Bed and open the Window to let there Wild calling echo into the bedroom' as they near the end of their Journey.Then the hunter stirs within me.Then as the dark evenings draw in 'hopefully the wind will be whistling down the chimney as i go to bed' and I know the Fowl will be there for morning flight' A restless night sleep dreaming about the Wigeon packs returning from there night time feeding' as will the stubbling mallard, And hopefully there is enough wind to keep the Greys low enough for a shot as they head out to the fields for the day. That is when the Wildfowling season starts for ME.