grand vitara 4wd problem

gameshooter93

Hi all, I went to use the 4wd on my 52 reg grand vitara last night, and the 4wd light kept flashing on the dashboard. The 4wd still worked but the vacuum/air pump kept cutting in and out all the time. Is that normal?? Does anybody know what the problem might be?? I was told that when the light flashes, it means a fault has been detected? Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

Hi mate. I had the same problem on my 54 plate Grand Vitara. I have since sold the car but doing a bit of research i would defo check the vacuum pipes first before delving deeper. If not it could be the vacuum pump which i am lead to believe is not cheap to replace :/ but it may not be. Have the pipes checked first and hopefully thats all it will be :good:

ATB,

Pat

Edited by pat g

Thanks for the advice guys, I had a look at the pipes today. I disconnected them from the pump and pluggged the the holes but it still flashed, so I then disconnected them from the differential and plugged the holes there and it still flashed! I put the pipes back on the opposite way and the pump ran for about 10 seconds and cut out, but I didn't have a light on the dash. The pump is working, so what else could it be? Thanks

I can't comment on the vit but on the l200 I have I believe it's on the front axle. When they are full of mud or knackered they give the same symptoms. A flashing light to tell you that you have engaged 4x4 and its not working, If it actually is then you have options first is to repair or replace and the second involves a square of black electrical insulation tape over the light!

Also have Vitara and had a dig around on the net to prepare myself for when it all went wrong!! found this thread on Suzuki forums

http://www.suzuki-forums.com/1g-1999-2005-vitara-grand-vitara/43439-4wd-freewheel-air-pump-teardown.html#post264222

you may have to copy and paste. Typical American Forum (I feel your pain :() , but a lot off info on there if you dig.