good pattern?

Hur5ty

I think the "pattern" of the decoys is one of the great headaches of pigeon shooting when in fact it should not be. U shaped or L, Comma or Line... but if you look at how the pigeons are standing when you get to the filed - if there are any there then they will be showing you how they are standing.

My best bag was with my back to the hedge - wind on my left shoulder but I had one line of pigeon decoys in a line parallel to the hedge 35 yards out and they just plopped into the gap between me and the decoys.... heaven..... other times I see two distinct groups that with a little squinting of the eye could be a U shape..... As long as there is enough space for them to land and that is close enough for you to shoot them then should be fine.

Where is the flight line or are you just taking pot luck in a field?

Assuming it's right to left:

Personally, I'd push the furthest leg out even further to increase the landing area.

I'd also move a couple from the far leg to increase the number at the head of the horseshoe.

Ether way, don't get hung up on being too regular with the pattern or keeping them facing exactly into the wind.

If birds are coming from behind I'd do away with the front ones entirely.

I can't think they would be flying directly towards the hide unless there's a distinct hedgerow or tree line behind.

No-one here can tell you if that pattern is right. It looks fine to me at a glance, but you will only know on the day by how the birds behave if your decoy set up is right. But as a starting point, that pattern looks ok.

Always remember that the pattern itself is less important than where you are shooting. A 'rubbish' pattern in the right place will always be better than 'the best' pattern in the wrong place.

The first thing you need to do is find if the pigeons are coming in to your field. Study your field as often as much as you can.

And also study pigeons habits. In the past I have sat on the side of the field where pigeons are coming in just watching there behaviour while they're feeding.

I've seen lots of guys putting decoys facing the wind Like military soldiers I think that's wrong. You need to put your Decoys all in different angles into the wind across the wind. The only time pigeons will face exactly the same way Is when they are about to fly off.

Plus

Ps. Just another observation I have made.

When you study and watch pigeons feeding habits you will notice 5 out of 15 pigeons feeding We'll Have their Necks extended looking for predators. So if you use pigeon cradles. Make sure that your Dead birds on your cradles do not have extended necks. It would look like there is a problem if you have 25 birds with extended necks to a decoying bird.

The way I resolved this was to cut 1 inch from the neck spike on the cradle.

Good luck and keep them dropping

Ps. Just another observation I have made.

When you study and watch pigeons feeding habits you will notice 5 out of 15 pigeons feeding We'll Have their Necks extended looking for predators. So if you use pigeon cradles. Make sure that your Dead birds on your cradles do not have extended necks. It would look like there is a problem if you have 25 birds with extended necks to a decoying bird.

The way I resolved this was to cut 1 inch from the neck spike on the cradle.

Good luck and keep them dropping

I disagree.