Wildfowling Season 2013-2014

Wildfowler325

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't been out for a while for one reason or the other, after finishing on our pheasant syndicate a little early and then getting called back into work on a day off!! I managed to get to the marsh at about 3.45pm, i quickly got a few decoys out onto a splash and got tucked up in the hedge. It was quiet early with any birds moving being well up, on last light a few Wigeon and Teal were moving but all out of shot. Out of the gloom appeared 4 Wigeon coming towards me and to my right at a decent height, i swung through the left hand bird and dropped him into the water the pack broke and i took the next one in from the left with the 3rd shot after a miss with the 2nd.

2013-11-21173632_zpsffb518ca.jpg

Hopefully back out the weekend as long as the Mrs is agreeable as we are beating all day Sat

Got my first pink of the season on Wednesday morning.

Norfolk grazing marshes - snow, sleet then rain, windy and cold.

Pink dropped into the RSPB reserve area but the cattle man came by on his quad bike and stopped for a 'mardle'. Told him I'd got a long walk ahead to retrieve my goose.

He said to relax as he was going that way to check his cows and reappeared ten minutes later and tossed my bird over the dividing dyke.

Service like that is a rare thing these days...

Well at least we have a bird for Christmas but I'd rather have a grey for that day if possible.

'Mardle' is more North Suffolk than Norfolk I believe.

But blether is the same.

'Window mardle' is when two cars meet on a country lane and stop drivers window to window for a mardle.

Not many of our roads are wide enough for that around here and I guess yours would be the same or worse happy.plinker.

Out in the garden doing fixing some dodgey land rover electrics this evening, hear a "wink wink", 100ish pinks came straight over the house! Then a few more skeins passing a few hundred yards either side of the house, had to stop work and watch them for a while!

I had a good 2000 over mine this morning .

Out again tonight and what a flight, again very quiet early on but as soon as the light levels dropped there were birds everywhere. For once the abundance of birds just happens to coincide with a period of good form with the gun! First bird to fall was a single hen Teal that decoyed perfectly and offered a easy shot directly over the decoys, next was another hen Teal that swung in from my right was missed with the 1st shot but hit with the 2nd as she climbed vertically.

This was followed by a lull in shooting as the birds were all passing just out of range, by now it was pretty dark and the birds were heard well before they were seen, 2 shots at 3 Teal that screamed overhead failed to connect and before i could get any more cartridges in the gun 2 Wigeon appeared on my left - a quick snap shot sent the lead bird tumbling from the sky. The flight just seemed to stop then just as though a tap had been turned off, just as i was thinking off unloading the gun birds were heard to my right i glimpsed the outline of 3 Wigeon and i just had time for a snap shot. By now it was a case of trying to shoot at shadows and the shot seemed to miss. I decide to pack up and set about packing the decoys away, i let the dog have a run around and low and behold he appeared with a dead cock Wigeon looking very pleased with himself.

So i ended up with 2 plump hen Teal,1 hen & 1 cock Wigeon for 6 shots.

Hope everybody else's season is going well.

2013-11-24175157_zps0bb05e08.jpg

Out again tonight and what a flight, again very quiet early on but as soon as the light levels dropped there were birds everywhere. For once the abundance of birds just happens to coincide with a period of good form with the gun! First bird to fall was a single hen Teal that decoyed perfectly and offered a easy shot directly over the decoys, next was another hen Teal that swung in from my right was missed with the 1st shot but hit with the 2nd as she climbed vertically.

This was followed by a lull in shooting as the birds were all passing just out of range, by now it was pretty dark and the birds were heard well before they were seen, 2 shots at 3 Teal that screamed overhead failed to connect and before i could get any more cartridges in the gun 2 Wigeon appeared on my left - a quick snap shot sent the lead bird tumbling from the sky. The flight just seemed to stop then just as though a tap had been turned off, just as i was thinking off unloading the gun birds were heard to my right i glimpsed the outline of 3 Wigeon and i just had time for a snap shot. By now it was a case of trying to shoot at shadows and the shot seemed to miss. I decide to pack up and set about packing the decoys away, i let the dog have a run around and low and behold he appeared with a dead cock Wigeon looking very pleased with himself.

So i ended up with 2 plump hen Teal,1 hen & 1 cock Wigeon for 6 shots.

Hope everybody else's season is going well.

2013-11-24175157_zps0bb05e08.jpg

Great Wildfowling Ben, can you do it again when me and Dave are there ....lol

well done Ben, glad to see some action at last.

Im going to make the most of it this weekend and hopefully will get out both days as im having redraw symptoms at present as I have not bagged a single bird this season (so far).

I am even going to try getting out on Friday evening if possible

well done Ben, glad to see some action at last.

Im going to make the most of it this weekend and hopefully will get out both days as im having redraw symptoms at present as I have not bagged a single bird this season (so far).

I am even going to try getting out on Friday evening if possible

Good on you mate, quite a few birds about but all moving right on last light. They do seem quite flighty though and very few will decoy well, most are just about interested enough to pass close enough for a shot.

I had a trip out this morning on Kirton marsh, Lincs. Not been out since the beginning of the month so getting stir crazy.

I thought it was going to be wet and windy but it was quite mild and calm. Got myself into a nice creek with a shelf for a seat, sorted the dog and waited for thge morning flight as all the splashes were as dry as a bone.

Not a lot about but a small pack of wigeon caught me out as I didnt see them till they were over me and as I swung to get a shot I twisted my shoulder (I have a frozen shoulder anyway) and I collapsed like a pack of cards till the pain passed. Apart from that I really enjoyed getting out again. I look forward to next time.

I just love being on the marsh with the sights,smells and sounds. :good:

"Its not the winning its the taking part that counts"

Regards

Hcc

ps loads of Brent geese all over the marsh.

I had a trip out this morning on Kirton marsh, Lincs. Not been out since the beginning of the month so getting stir crazy.

I thought it was going to be wet and windy but it was quite mild and calm. Got myself into a nice creek with a shelf for a seat, sorted the dog and waited for thge morning flight as all the splashes were as dry as a bone.

Not a lot about but a small pack of wigeon caught me out as I didnt see them till they were over me and as I swung to get a shot I twisted my shoulder (I have a frozen shoulder anyway) and I collapsed like a pack of cards till the pain passed. Apart from that I really enjoyed getting out again. I look forward to next time.

I just love being on the marsh with the sights,smells and sounds. :good:

"Its not the winning its the taking part that counts"

Regards

Hcc

ps loads of Brent geese all over the marsh.

Did you treat Ping Pong to breakfast Harry ?? when are you down again ??