Vulcan V Bomber

bakerboy

Apologies, Title should read "VULCAN" I do not know how to correct the title.

I was lucky enough to see the Vulcan V Bomber yesterday afternoon.

It flew over a friends house on 3 circuits before disappearing.

Fantastic sight and sound, if I can get the picture up I will.

Title edited for you.

Edited by steve_b_wales

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have one at wellsbourne airfield, and when at the market there, they sometimes spool up engines , sounds amazing and always miss it with my camera.

But have sat in the one at Coventry air museum a few times and Love it.

Just read the book on Vulcan 607 squadren , and the resourcefulness of all the people involved was amazing really.

So ahead of its time, in its day, and one of the few things left that makes me feel proud to be be british .

I for one would love to see photos.

I was on Ascension Island the night it went to bomb Stanley airport during the Falklands war.

Obviously didn't know the full story then but the sight and sound of two Vulcans and ten or eleven Victor tankers taking off through what looks like a railway cutting, the runway is carved through the volcanic rock, was an unforgettable moment in my life.

They did the business and all got home safely. Brave men.

That plane should fly forever.

I was travelling on the A14 west just south of Kettering on Saturday and see the Vulcan Bomber about 5 30pm. Wonderful sight and should remain flying. I am lucky enough to live not far from the Battle of Britain memorial flight, to hear them is something special. Lets not forget our history.

Maybe those who are against keeping these magnificent planes flying just don't understand and have no idea about the Falklands etc.

Being of that age and living nearby robin/hood / finningley where they were based during the cold war days there was always one or two flying about, still nice to see and obviously brings back all the childhood memories.

My late dad use to watch them as they took of and landed at finningley

I was travelling on the A14 west just south of Kettering on Saturday and see the Vulcan Bomber about 5 30pm. Wonderful sight and should remain flying. I am lucky enough to live not far from the Battle of Britain memorial flight, to hear them is something special. Lets not forget our history.

Maybe those who are against keeping these magnificent planes flying just don't understand and have no idea about the Falklands etc.

perhaps the fact its not just about money and lack of nostaglia? maybe its about facts re airframe worthiness and engine flying hours that people wonder if enough is enough when throwing money at it? it has just about used up its little lot, I believe it is due to stop flying at the end of this year, sadly there are no more engines no spare wings etc , once they are finished they are gone and no amount of money can provide others.

KW

Edited by kdubya

I can't be bothered to search: where, who and why were some plebs on here insulting the Vulcan?

I suggested that it was one of the charities to be supported by the NvS shoot one year. Teal was less than enthusiastic, and i received 33 PM's some of which were quite abusive about suggesting that the Vulcan should receive some cash when there were far more deserving human charities that needed cash. It was a suggestion, and i didnt need that kind of abuse.

perhaps the fact its not just about money and lack of nostaglia? maybe its about facts re airframe worthiness and engine flying hours that people wonder if enough is enough when throwing money at it? it has just about used up its little lot, I believe it is due to stop flying at the end of this year, sadly there are no more engines no spare wings etc , once they are finished they are gone and no amount of money can provide others.

KW

Operation 2015 is in swing to do a lot of work to the leading wing edges, This should give it 2 more years flying. If it doesn't go ahead (Finances £400,000 is needed) then this is its last season.

Go to South Africa, you can book a ride in one. The under and over engine configuration has been banned from flying in this country!

not quite true, more a case of the CAA considering it a complex aircraft and not giving it a license, true it suffered lower engine fires, but the lightnings Achilles was its fuel consumption more lightnings ended their service at the bottom of the north sea than were left flying at the end of their life, martin baker loved lightnings!!

anyway here is my version of nostalgia a 72" span lanc flys like a baby

Dsc_0012.jpg

KW

Edited by kdubya