Vulcan V Bomber

bakerboy

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where do these ideas come from?

The Lightning was a high speed interceptor armed with two air to air missiles and two 30mm cannon in later versions.

Aaah but they had nuclear powere enjins squire. A man told me once.. :lol::lol:

Joking apart, there is a website called "Secret Leeds" ( I live in Leeds), and some of the rumours and pure drivel that emerges sometimes about tunnels here, tunnels there etc is amazing.

On saying that, there is some really good true stuff I never knew about my birthplace.

According to a number of urban exploration and "Aliens are out there" type sites there is a network of underground tunnels connecting all military establishments in the uk and there is an alien base at the bottom of Scammonden Dam.

Anyway back on topic.

It was the Vulcan that was nuclear capable

Along with the Victors and Valiants before they converted to tankers IIRC

Edited by keg

The project to restore the lightning got under way and because it was deemed by the CAA as a complex aircraft type it needed the support of an aircraft design authority , Well BAE were approached and gave the thumb's down in no uncertain term's therefore ending the attempt to get what the yank's called the aluminium death tube flying again in the UK.

The project to restore the lightning got under way and because it was deemed by the CAA as a complex aircraft type it needed the support of an aircraft design authority , Well BAE were approached and gave the thumb's down in no uncertain term's therefore ending the attempt to get what the yank's called the aluminium death tube flying again in the UK.

Chuffing hell! What did the yanks call the starfighter then????

Aren't we a nostalgic lot!

Dad was a photographic instructor in the RAF, worked on air camera systems so in the 60's and 70's I was lucky enough to get up close to some iconic aircraft.

The Canberra was my favourite, probably because I sat in one so often as a kid!

Lightnings were based in Cyprus in the 60's at Akrotiri, we loved 'em. For anyone going to Paphos keep your eyes peeled as you land, I believe there's still a couple of Shackletons parked up there, just like the Lancaster inside but a bit wider, oh the smell! Leather and hydraulic fluid.

Early 70's saw us at RAF Wyton, I remember a Victor crashing on the runway one morning and going up in a fireball, sadly no one got out. That affected the whole camp for quite a while.

Now I'm lucky enough to live fairly close to Yeovilton so on airshow days we normally get most of the aircraft going overhead, the highlight last year was the Fairey Swordfish flying over the farm where I worked, into a headwind she was struggling to make any headway.

It's great to see the interest in old aircraft, long may it continue, one more beauty is back in the sky thanks to a collector in the USA, a De Havilland Mosquito. That I really want to see!

Dads an ex RAF wing co, so I've lived at most of the bases. He always enjoys telling a story about me in the garden as a littleun in one of those walking frames on wheels. Cruising round the garden happily under my own steam, when out of no where a Vulcan came over as low as possible, scared the living daylights out of me, and ended up in the flower bed upside down slightly miffed to say the least. And I've been a fan of the Vulcan ever since ha

Dads an ex RAF wing co, so I've lived at most of the bases. He always enjoys telling a story about me in the garden as a littleun in one of those walking frames on wheels. Cruising round the garden happily under my own steam, when out of no where a Vulcan came over as low as possible, scared the living daylights out of me, and ended up in the flower bed upside down slightly miffed to say the least. And I've been a fan of the Vulcan ever since ha

Do a google search, "Vulcan landing at Waddington" there's a bit of video on there to make the hairs on your neck stand up!

Sorry I can't do a link for you but I'm hopeless with anything computer related! :sad1:

Really

Vulcan engines NEVER had reheat or afterburners fitted to them!

Ok then how does a bomber climb from rotation on take-off at an angle in excess of 45 degrees with dancing diamonds in the engine plume ?

I may not be familiar with the marque but I also saw a lightning do the same thing a couple of years later - if the Vulcan wasnt on reheat then my apologies it certainly looked like it to me.

Seems you may have that wrong but it is a test bed Mod at Farnborough in 1962, from about 4.10 in but the rest is worth a watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_videos?title=Popular&feature=c4-overview&more_url=&video_ids=PGrIrxpv62U%2C7ywHHR0EJHU%2CP6Cfd2PdXYs%2CQ4psRKtsy9c%2Cb76l-iYpphM%2CD1DCyJxHfOo%2CT28wC8UPk7U%2C8NO5_W1Kjok%2CoryxkAR_nFQ&type=0&index=1

Edited by Kes

I grew up only a field off the end of the runway at RAF Waddington and remember the vulcans very well. Constantly going round doing circuits and bumps. We got used to not being able to hear the tv for about a minute every 10 and the windows used to rattle.

The sight of a 4 plane scramble was unreal as was the noise. As the last one was starting to roll along the tarmac the first one was just in the air and as soon as they were high enough they went straight up................when i see it in the air today it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand out

I'm with you on this Kes, happy to bet a £5.00 that they did not have re-heat. Nice shot of the Bucc revolving bomb bay in the Youtube clip.

you have won your fiver only one Vulcan had reheat it was a 5 yes FIVE engined variant (the extra engine was slung underneath) the Vulcan had a variety of engines mainly based on the Olympus engine (concord engines) they DID NOT have reheat they did not need it.

ps the 5 engined test plane caught fire and crashed I believe

KW

Edited by kdubya

There was little wrong with the F104 Starfighter-the reputation for crashing was not gained thru poor aerodynamics nor build quality. The Americans simply did not store the planes well enough to prevent deterioration of the airframes/avionics.

It was my undetstanding that every airforce that used them had incidents. The Germans lost loads.

Ok then how does a bomber climb from rotation on take-off at an angle in excess of 45 degrees with dancing diamonds in the engine plume ?

I may not be familiar with the marque but I also saw a lightning do the same thing a couple of years later - if the Vulcan wasnt on reheat then my apologies it certainly looked like it to me.

Under the power of it's un-reheated Olympus engines!

It was my undetstanding that every airforce that used them had incidents. The Germans lost loads.

the Germans lost 110 pilots in 15 years whilst flying them, they were simply difficult to fly and had unreliable engines I believe these planes were responsible for modern day pilot aids like the stick shaker, perhaps had fly by wire computer aids been available the reputation they have would not have been earned.

KW

There was little wrong with the F104 Starfighter-the reputation for crashing was not gained thru poor aerodynamics nor build quality. The Americans simply did not store the planes well enough to prevent deterioration of the airframes/avionics.

Unfortunately the F104 was designed as a single engined, high speed, high altitude interceptor.

When the Germans purchased a few someone forgot to mention that they had downward firing ejection seats.

Great if you are at 40000 feet, not so good at 300 feet in a German valley!