Vulcan V Bomber

bakerboy

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always admired the Lightning for being an unbeatable interceptor despite it being a pig ugly bird. Still remember them taking off in pairs and the moment their wheels left the tarmac they went vertical with a huge roar. I cant remember anything being as loud as them and during the 70's we were used to having all sorts flying overhead what with being in the flight path of several major UK & US airbases.

The Buckaneer is another one i liked,but didnt see them round here very often.

Here's XH558 coming through the trees at Bruntingthorpe!

558B.jpg

Good picture.

What are the two items on top?

Not being an aircraft expert.. I'm thinking either a couple of folding chairs for a wing walking display :lol: - or some kind of braking device, but they seem a bit small for that?

Edited by HW682

I used to go to the Biggin Hill Air Fair with my parents during the 60's. the entrance made by the Lightning was from behind the crowd, over the top at near-supersonic speed so you only heard it as it passed overhead. Once over the airfield, they would go vertical - up and up until you pretty much lost sight of it. The noise was unbelievable and seemed to make your every bone in your body rattle!

Nick

Talking of the lightning and its vertical climb capabilities, there was a series in the 80s called "Test Pilot" all about the Empire test pilot School at Boscombe down.

A Harrier pilot was on the course and was taken up in a lightning. The narrator explained that he was now experiencing a completely different form of vertical takeoff as Nick has pointed out.

I was talking to a friend last night who went to the airshow that the Vulcan was marshalling for when Bakerboy took the photo from my garden - apparently, the cost charged to the airshow for each flypast (and it did 2 at the airfield), was a shockingly small, £120. A display costs more, but had i known that, i'd have paid for it to come lower over the house!

AB

I was on Ascension Island the night it went to bomb Stanley airport during the Falklands war.

Obviously didn't know the full story then but the sight and sound of two Vulcans and ten or eleven Victor tankers taking off through what looks like a railway cutting, the runway is carved through the volcanic rock, was an unforgettable moment in my life.

They did the business and all got home safely. Brave men.

That plane should fly forever.

my sister was on Ascension Island that time too she was RAF keep the Vulcan flying and the Victor shame we have no Valiants left

You wouldn't be so damned keen on the things if you'd ever been inside and at the far end of No7 fuel tank when the bell went for the start of the NAAFI break and just as your head and shoulders joined the rest of you on the scaffolding platform, the bell went again to signal the end of the break. :sad1::no: