STEEL SHOT-What you need to know

David BASC

thankou wymberly

Pleasure. For info', the pressure you gave is the proof pressure for the service pressure I gave. The pressures themselves are the same as they always have been but the method of measuring them has changed. Should you be going to act on what I've said, please double check with a professional first and also, just as we've all got the hang of it, some clown comes along and changes it all again - 1050 and 1370 Bar is now 105 and 137 Megapascals (MPa) respectively.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Right, we all know we must use non-toxic shot on wildfowl, but what if the landowner also specifies fibre wads. Is there such an animal??

OK I just used my "brain" and looked on the Just cardridges website and you can get such a thing.

But didn't we go to plastic "cup" wads to avoid shot/barrel contact?

It's OK to say use "Bismuth" but can we afford it??

Edited by kitchrat

Been told of a friend that Gamebore have redone the fibre cup for steel now a black one, made more robust to keep the shot from contacting the barrel walls.

To be homes we shoot plastic wads on our little marsh and anyone walking on or around picks up any wads or cases not found when shooting in the dark. If not a lot of shots are taken, not much mess is made.

Figgy

Guest cookoff013

Been told of a friend that Gamebore have redone the fibre cup for steel now a black one, made more robust to keep the shot from contacting the barrel walls.

To be honest we shoot plastic wads on our little marsh and anyone walking on or around picks up any wads or cases not found when shooting in the dark. If not a lot of shots are taken, not much mess is made.

Figgy

i`ve shot where it was fibre wadded nontoxic only, only to find 100`s of plaswads about. about an hour of cleanup and a plastic carrier bag full of wads...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Tallshot the tightest fixed choke you can use with any steel is 1\2 , even with the light 32 gr loads.

"Standard Steel cartridges can be fired through any gun proved to the standard level (ie most “Nitro” proved guns, proved to at least 930 bar) and through any choke."

So this is wrong then?!

70mm 32 gr loads are for most people standard steel loads and cant be shot through any choke. Ask any gunsmith and he will tell you tales of people who shoot standard steel through fixed full choke and have ended up with bulged barrels.

You can shoot 70 mm 32 gr steel through a 930 bar nitro gun in good condition , but unless an after choke is used you must not use more than 1\2 choke. However there isa high risk as I found to my cost that such loads can shake the action lose . If you are going to shoot any number of steel shells take the plunge and buy a gun proofed for 3 inch steel shells. This will allow you to use high performance shells and get the most from your gun. The difference in the killing power is amazing compared to standard shells. You will still not be able to use any fixed choke more than 1\2 , but if you get a steel proof after choke you can use full choke , but the patten will be very tight and you need to be on the ball to hit the target , but you will have a simlar range to lead.

Be aware there still some pretty poor steel shells out there , but you will not go far wrong if you use 70 mm Gamebore, RC or Eley lightings. I have not used Express Lydale for some years and they may have changed , but I have had some bad experiances with these shells in the past.

Edited by anser2

70mm 32 gr loads are for most people standard steel loads and cant be shot through any choke. Ask any gunsmith and he will tell you tales of people who shoot standard steel through fixed full choke and have ended up with bulged barrels.

You can shoot 70 mm 32 gr steel through a 930 bar nitro gun in good condition , but unless an after choke is used you must not use more than 1\2 choke. However there isa high risk as I found to my cost that such loads can shake the action lose . If you are going to shoot any number of steel shells take the plunge and buy a gun proofed for 3 inch steel shells. This will allow you to use high performance shells and get the most from your gun. The difference in the killing power is amazing compared to standard shells. You will still not be able to use any fixed choke more than 1\2 , but if you get a steel proof after choke you can use full choke , but the patten will be very tight and you need to be on the ball to hit the target , but you will have a simlar range to lead.

Be aware there still some pretty poor steel shells out there , but you will not go far wrong if you use 70 mm Gamebore, RC or Eley lightings. I have not used Express Lydale for some years and they may have changed , but I have had some bad experiances with these shells in the past.

Right! thanks for clearing that up mate. Think I will invest in a new Pump or Semi Auto then for next season, as my sxs is a little old thing and I dont want to risk ********* it up.

Ta

• 6 months later...

I would advise anyone who can afford a HP proof gun for steel to buy one , in the near future it will be the only financially viable shot you can use.

same here you can get a new steel proofed gun in under over pump and semi for less than 450 ok may not be a major brand gun so its not alot of out lay for a new gun that will handel steel

• 1 year later...

Extract from the CIP website:

12bore, 76mm chamber, max average pressure 1050bar, maximum statistical individual pressure 1200bar, mean proof pressure 1320bar

Question is, was this the standard in 1962 ? - onward and upward!

cheers, Tedward.

tedward i also have a beretta a303 with 2 stars/psf proof marks but i love this gun so much i simply bought a new armsan a612 for hp steel cartridges proofed for steel with a fleur-de-lys these come with a 4 year warranty happy days will keep using the beretta for what it was originally designed for :good:

• 3 years later...
3 minutes ago, Ferretlurcher1970 said:

Maybe we wouldn't be having this discussion if BASC hadn't made the decision to drop us in it .without asking the people that pay there wages first what we thought.

It’s a 2015 thread 

the discussion was already going before 

Basc dropped us in it 🙄

• 3 weeks later...

Why are Gamebore Super Steel 32g carts considered non HP in sizes 5 and 4 ...  but the exact same cartridge in size 3 (still all the same complements and 32g) are now classed as HP ... 

BASC guidance says only shop bigger than size 3 is auto classed as HP ... 

This has confused me whether I can use the GB super steel 32g 3’s through my Spanish Master SxS choked 1/2 and FULL. 

Guest cookoff013
On 02/06/2020 at 01:17, Lloyd90 said:

Why are Gamebore Super Steel 32g carts considered non HP in sizes 5 and 4 ...  but the exact same cartridge in size 3 (still all the same complements and 32g) are now classed as HP ... 

BASC guidance says only shop bigger than size 3 is auto classed as HP ... 

This has confused me whether I can use the GB super steel 32g 3’s through my Spanish Master SxS choked 1/2 and FULL. 

its pressure then. or the variation.

you can have a cartridge thats average ptmax under 740 standard pressure that exceed the pressure variation.

if you have that same pressure cartridge, with the same values, it automaticly is under HP 1050 bar average, and because of the HP upper s2n variance limit is also increases.
in 12gauge standard its 740bar ptmax and s2n 851bar

in 12 HP its 1050bar ptmax and 1200bar sn2 limit.

make sense?

• 7 months later...