Which rifle next?

norfolkgoose

Hello everyone I'm new to this site , im rob by the way .

I'm new to useing air rifles this year and after having purchased a cheap co2 xs78 full power to try and deal with alot of bunny on a field I rent from a farmer .I found out when practicing on targets that its power droped of very fast and that if hitting anything hardish ( wood posts) I got lots of rebounds after much reading up on the rifle came to a conclusion that this gun was only suitable for targets so then went and purchased a spring rifle ( cheap Chinese one) from a diffrent shop this time xs mod 19 at full power .

the two rifles are miles apart the xs 19 is far better longer range hits harder and faster no rebounds atall very accurate so for 110 notes is a very nice rifle and does the job but its realy noisy and everything runs and takes cover on the field once its fired it does have moderator fitted so its all spring noise .

So I have now decided to go the route of a pcp but which one ?? I have three in mind myself hw100, bsa r10 or AA S510 but open to suggestions . Sorry for rambling on a bit thank you all in advance.

Hey Rob, welcome to the site. The three you've picked out are perfect and I doubt you'd be unhappy with either of them! I have a personal bias towards the AA S510. I had one before going down the Daystate avenue and they're brilliant guns. They're great to shoot and ideal for hunting because they're light and not too long, even with a silencer shoved on it. The side cocking action is super smooth and you get a good 60 shots per charge from a .177.

If you're looking for a heavy rifle - some people do prefer the weight - then the HW100 is probably the one to go for, but really, it's going to come down to how comfortable they are for you. I hated the feel of the HW, but they are really accurate. I know very little about the R10, but I love the look of it. I'm not so sure that makes it shoot better though!

Where do you live mate? If there's a range near you, get yourself down there and see if you can have a go with them

I live just out side Norwich the next one I buy has got to last me for a good time and I will only be hunting with it at present both have been in .22 but I have also started to shoot pigeons on some more fields around my one as the farmer seems happy with what I have done so far but I'm not sure if I should go to a .177 to increase my range a little ?

No doubt , the best PCP on the market is the HW 100... i have owned both the AA 510 and the BSA R10 MK2, but nothing compares wit the HW100. Very accurate and fitted with the best loading system ever built for a pcp.... also is coming with 2x 14 shots mags which is an advantage... Go for it, you won't regret... the best hunting air rifle ever made... go for .177 as the trajectory is much flatter...

welcome rob :good: ,i've had a fair few different pcp's over the years and i'd say most of them are accurate enough for most types of shooting.the rest is down to personal preference like,weight,length,style,calibre etc.the older style falcons are a good lightweight no frills guns.air arms are very well made,i've got a shamal that must be getting really old by now.my most used guns are my rapid 7 and my hw97,both good guns but both very different.

Thank you all for your thoughts on this subject its good to know that there is pleanty of un biast help from the people who use these guns and not have to rely on a shop who just wants to sell you any gun to make a buck.

I will spend the next few weeks trying to try out the above rifles and some others mybe but I realy like the look and feel of a full size rifle I hope this does not limet my choices to much many thanks once again to all ( sorry for any poor spelling) .

You will be making a giant leap from where you are to any of those listed.

The HW100 is "good", some say the best you can get, but it's heavy, so it Isn't good at the same time.

None of those you list is light, and all will perform well, why a AA510, what's wrong with a AA410, someone else also mentioned the Theoben. For rugged durability and professional use few will deny this is the rifle to get, but there must be nagging doubts now with the company having gone to the wall, shame!

A bit of a grey horse but much improved over the years, and always was exceedingly accurate, look at the Falcons!

Have a look at the Hatsan AT 44-10W. Walnut stock. £265. new.

I got one in sub 12 ftlb and was that impressed with it for the money.

You get an air gauge. 2 x 10 shot mags. And Walther match barrel.

So i phoned Edger Brothers to see what was the score with an FAC one.

A new AT 44 Rifle with an fac strike valve and transfer port doing 28 to 30 ftlb. £320.

What can i say both Rifles are outstanding for the money.

I have Daystates. BSA R10. AA 410. 3x Loguns.

But for a very accurate and reliable workhorse the Hatsan are very hard to beat.

Have a look at the Hatsan BT65 its a bigger gun with a bigger air tube. More shots per fill.

Nobody thought about budget?

Hi Rob, have a serious think about how much you want to spend, you'll have to factor in for scope, bottle or pump, bag etc, that can add another £300 + to the cost of your rifle.

If you're only doing occasional hunting then the cost might outweigh the benefits by a long way.

Top end rifles are very nice but generally are no more accurate than the Hatsan that Night Searcher suggested, or the little S200 from AA/CZ or any number of lower priced PCPs.

.177 is a good choice simply because it is more forgiving with range estimation, the trajectory is flatter but you'll still have to learn your aiming points.

Good luck with the search!

I had looked at the hatsan and yes looks a very nice rifle and the rifle I would get is going to be used every day and I want some thing that is going to be reliable or at least I hope it will be . Also have had a look at the falcons but cant seem to find anyone round my way that sells the and I cant find any prices for them either!

The three i have mentioned r examples and ones that I can look at in the shops around my way with out going to far away i also like a rifle to have some weight to it have found it easy to hold my point of aim with my xs 19 over the xs78 due to the 78 being to light for me .

Also I have been led to believe thst the hatsan has a automatic safty so every time you cock it you have to remeber to take it off but the others just have a normal safty on /of so that put me off the AT44- 10! As I say led to belive could be wrong .

Any one of those will do the trick, plus a number of others, the main thing is to try a few out and find the one that fits the best. I use a 20 year old and well used Falcon, but it's very accurate and fits me well so I'm in no hurry to replace it.

I have an old Titan Manitou (pre Falcon) that shoots just as well as when it was new and dont think I would replace that either!

My buget is around 1400 to buy the rifle , bag, bottles I already have a scope that I get on well with its a 3-12×44 ir pa by pao .

OH well in THAT case, get a Daystate Air Ranger. All the rifle you'll ever, EVER need! Massive shot count, the most comfortable stock in the world and Daystate's famous build quality and customer care. you'll never want for anything more :)

Hi I have been and tryed the r10 and the hw100 carbine to day first inpresion is the hw100 is a bit of a let down in looks to the r10 and the hw100 is a lot lighter than the r 10 but both very nice rifles dont like the safty on the hw100 its on the right so cant flick it on and of with my thumb where as I can on the r 10 as its on the left ( I'm right handed) l like the safty to be easy to put on and of fast!

but the hw100 on paper seems to out shoot in shot count and I was ok with the use of it once I tryed it so not all bad, the r10 was just as good but less shots and only a 10 round mag as to the 14 with the hw100 but i felt more at home with the r10 al I can say its not going to be easy go choose and I have still got to try some more :)

I wouldn`t be put off by an automatic safety i have ten rifles.

Some have no safety at all and have to be de-cocked. Some have a manual safety. Some have auto safety.

You soon get used to knocking the safety off has you cock and load it.

And with the Hatsans it`s very easy big push button at the back of the gun.

Look at the HW Rifles HW 77. 80. 95. 97. have had auto safetys for over 30 years

My first HW 80 back in the late 70s had an auto safety.

Saying all that I have a mate that just hates auto safetys to the point he has.

Taken his hatsan 85 + AT 44 + BT 65 apart and disabled the auto safetys.

They sill work but manually very easy job he said just take the small rod out that pushes the safety button out.

the hw 100 you will not go wrong straight out of the box pal,they are lethal,what ever you read in books or what folk want to sell you in shops do not trust,i admit you can get a slightly better looking gun with fancy gadgets etc , but the accuracy of the hw100 to me,no standard gun can beat it,this is just my 30 years experience shooting airguns,cheers simon....

I have been told by several gun dealers /smiths to avoid hatsan AT 44-10 as they have been blowing out seals on a regular basis .

despite this I have tryed one out and I do hate auto saftys for two reasons 1 is that you rely on it working all the time how do you know its on unless you check every time ware as manually you know its on or off and 2nd if you require a follow up shot should it be needed in a hurry its easy to forget to do the safty then your faffing around to much . The hw 100 i tryed was a carbine and was to light for me but i am trying to find a full size one to have a look at as not a great fan of carbines nothing wrong with them i just prefer the full size rifle but in ssying that i did like the bsa r 10 a lot every thing where i wanted it .

Still got plenty of time as yet to try other rifles out even looking at fx's,AA, falcon, etc.

Edited by norfolkgoose

the hw100 on paper seems to out shoot in shot count and I was ok with the use of it once I tryed it so not all bad, the r10 was just as good but less shots and only a 10 round mag as to the 14 with the hw100

Despite being a hw100 fan, how can the R10 can have a less shot count , when it have a buddy bottle? :unsure:

I have two Hatsan AT 44 10 W one in .177 and one in .22

And one BT 65 in FAC .22 doing 30 ftlb.

The 44s are over 3 years old and the 65 is two years old.

The only thing that any of them have had was on of 44s had a very slight air leak from the air gauge.

Faulty air gauge not seals i sent the air tube back to Edgar Brothers.

It was back in three days with a free air tube plus mine with a new gauge. pens. calendar. desk pads.

Outstanding service and always very helpful if you phone them.

Has I have said i have three hatsans and my shooting bud has two and we have never had any seal problems.

I have had more seal and regulator problems with my.

BSA R10. Daystate Huntsman. And two of my Loguns. Than i have had with the Hatsans.

Don`t believe half the bull **** that gun shops will tell you.

The BSA Super 10 had a 200cc 232 bar bottle fitted has standard.

The BSA R 10 has a 280cc 232 bar bottle fitted has standard.

You can get 400cc and 500cc bottles to fit the R10 giving over 250 shots a charge.

The Rapid 7 had a 400cc Buddy bottle has standard.

I can`t find the full spec on the hw 100 but the air tubes are app 200cc 250cc. 200bar.

Sorry if i have my facts wrong this is why i joined pigeon watch for unbias views and help and to learn more from peopke who use and know (not trying to just sell me a gun). Thats intresting did not know about the bigger bottles for the r 10 I already like the r10 mk2 alot but the hw100s has such a good rep .