My daughters first time out feeding

shalfordninja33

Not sure if this is the right place for this......

Spent a long morning yesterday filling all the feeders on our cover crops and woods on our shoot. Anyway the night before my 3 year old asked if she could come and feed the birds with me, I've taken her to the pens feeding before but only brief trips of an hour or so. this was going to be a good 4 hour outing and I had a restless night concerned that she would get bored/change her mind after 30 mins and I'd have to do the 14mile round trip to home and back to finish up without her. Saturday morning came around and Hollie was up and dressed earlier than I've ever known! Saying "daddy are we still going to the pheasants?" So I packed some snacks and a drink and off we went.

Well, I couldn't have been more wrong! After a shy start, one of the other guns was helping me and Hollies quite shy around people she doesn't know. I couldn't stop her! She was helping to spread straw about, holding empty bags and waiting on the buggy whist we filled the feeders in the more overgrown areas. She couldnt believe the buggy went on its own, only having seen the push kind before! We finished up around noon and headed home with lots of story's to tell mum.

We got back and after a quick lunch the morning took its toll and she crashed out of the sofa for most of the afternoon!

I don't know who enjoyed it more, Hollie or me, for being able to spend such quality time outside in the countryside with her.

I have a problem now in that when Hollie got up this morning the first thing she asked was "are we feeding the pheasants today daddy?" I've managed to convince her that going next weekend with be soon enough!

Oh yes and here's the pic.

post-33543-0-56504900-1378065422_thumb.jpg

There is NOTHING like quality time with your children. The little picnic makes.it even better. Make tye most of it. They grow up so quickly. I had a Vasectomy as my first wife had 5 kids when I met her. We had My Son Chris. I had a Vasectomy as She didn't want any more. Eventually we went through a bad patch and ended up divorced. My lad is now 18 this year. The trouble is I miss kids. I really love the getting down to their level just having a great time. Unfotunately I am now in a situation where I can't have more as my current GF has 2 kids. One 23 and one 19. I miss those days out for hours trudging through mud, sand, rain etc and just laughing and spending quality time. Chris now lives in his room. He wont fish, he wont shoot, hell he wont even go out anywhere :no:

Make the most of every minuet matey! :yes:

Great post and it brought back many memories ,my eldest daughter started with me at that age great times, toasted sarnies on fires in the wood dens built from brush wood happy days . And guess what she is still out with me at 28years old now drives the truck, shoots better than me picks up with her lab and cooks better than I ever did :)

good job buddy, i take my daughter with me to the clay ground, so she can get used to the guns, she cant wait to start shooting, and neither can i, she traps for me and keeps my score and tells me that i can do better!!< she loves the outdoors which i hope will cntinue as my 18 year old daughter like most teenagers has lived in her room for the last 5 years and only ventures out for food,!!

Glenn

Thats great to get them going with you I've just had my 2 grandkids up for a few days over the bank holiday one is 6 and the other 2

The eldest one wanted to go out lamping rabbits with his dad and granddad so we took him Saturday night he was as good as gold spotting rabbits for his dad who was shooting i was driving as usual..

We got 20 odd and he lasted till after midnight and we were on the way home before he fell asleep... even wanted a go at paunching them but we didn't have the time..

He was so good took him pigeon shooting as well he just enjoys been out with us especially if i have marco my springer gun dog with us...

Thanks for the replies guys.

It's great deaquire that she's now at the age where we can get out and do things together. It's what I envisaged fatherhood to be. 15 months will fly by. She's tall for her age, having said that she been out and about pretty much as soon as she could walk, I remember my mum having her for the day when she was about 18 months old and telling us that she'd taken Hollie for a walk with the dogs and hollie had walked much of the way!

I want her to appreciate nature and the countryside and for me to be able to show her things in the outdoors the same way that my uncle did for me when I was that age. I had such fond memories from that age with my uncle taking me feeding and it's great to be able to pass that knowledge on to her and still feed and shoot with my uncle some 33 years after I was first taken out!

I remember those nights hawkeye when I was that age being taken lamping by my uncle. Funny thing is now when we go 30odd years later I feel pretty much the same as I did then!

Fatherhood didn't come easy to me and I have to admit to not being the most patent dad in the past. The patience is coming and Ive certainly learnt to cherish moments like this when they come along.

Great news is I have a week off work this week and providing we have the weather Hollie and I will be out on Thursday afternoon doing the rounds once again, happy days!

It's great to hear that you're getting out and having such a fun time with your daughter. I'm not really convinced about the whole kids thing but this story and others like it are slowly starting to turn me. One day I guess we all have to grow up and take on some responsibility and it looks like that can be more rewarding than I had once realised!