Rolex Explorer II or Submariner?

Dirty Harry

I'm not interested in other makes. I have an Omega Seamaster Professional already, I don't want a Breitling and am only interested in a Rolex.

Mungler who is the explorer 2 a big no no?

If the Sea Dweller was not so expensive I would go for one but I'm not paying £8k. I don't really need a divers watch. As long as it can go in the pool and shower that will do.

I like the look of the explorer and I like the 24hr clock like on the GMT.

I don't like the fussy dial of the Daytona and don't want a chrono.

I like the fact the sub and explorer are easy to read and have a simple face.

This is not an investment watch but to wear everyday. Having said that I don't want to be throwing money away.

Harry

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Explorer 2 isn't strong second hand because no one wants one. But, if you like it, then that's all that counts.

IMHO the white face version looks like a Tag and the black face version doesn't look right with the rounded bezel. The sub is a far far better looking watch (as too the GMT).

There's much better elsewhere in the Rolex catalogue.

GMT bi-metalic is the way : it's one of the watches I wish I had kept hold of.

I'm not a fan of gold watches so I can't see myself wearing one and its probably more than I would want to spend.

Re the resale value of an explorer I don't see myself wanting to sell it on and would probably give it to one of my lads at some point. As long as its not going to be worthless I'm not too worried.

I like the look of the new blue/black GMT2. I think I'll have to have a close look at them to make a final decision.

Thanks

Harry, you have too much money for a regular Bobby, can i have some please? :lol:

although it's just a day to day watch i can understand where you're coming from, it's more than just a watch. and although i'll never be in the market for a genuine rolex, the much cheaper imposters are still worth a look, and won't make you cry should you scratch or #### it one accidentally :lol:

Dirty Harry for those prices you've just mentioned you can buy a mint used 2 tone submariner with all the paper work e.t.c from a reputable dealer, there's so many fakes out there besides taking the bracelet off to match the serial number on the inside of glass face , you can make sure the bubble for the date is magnified and the back plate is plain with no writing on it, that usually makes them genuine ones on the submariner range of 2008 http://www.watchclub.com/w5909/rolex-submariner-date-gold-steel-complete-set.html :)

OK my thoughts, i have the sub (black face)

bought it for £3000 new 20 plus years ago and have worn it constantly since

Its a useless timekeeper ( most Rolex are)

The strap needs replacing as its become stretched but at nearly £2000 that aint going to happen

servicing prices are piddle taking.

having said all that its worth more now than when bought, not many watches are and I will never change it.

Edited by docholiday

Most of us men don't wear diamond rings of jewel encrusted necklaces or diamond earrings in fact. But I'm quite happy to spend a bit of money on a decent watch that may/will hold its value in many many years to come :)

Some of us spend thousands on guns and cars and we only shoot or drive them every so often .

Docholiday I think your rolex needs re calibrating as my mums watch had very similar problem in poo timekeeping :yes: as for your strap its worth quite a lot of money a lot of Jewelers will buy of it off you for a handsome price :)

Edited by Willpoon

If thats what you chose to do with your money im certainly not judging i enjoy mx so my money goes on that and some might think racing a bike around the mud is daft but each to there own i just cant see it my self my uncle enjoys watches and some of the prices hes paid for cuff links ive told him hes crazy just my opinion tho.

John

Makes me laugh when people say they'd never spend that much on a watch. How many people who are saying that drive a Tata Nano? It is probably the cheapest car you can buy new and it will still get you where you want to go.

Horses for courses I guess.

With the watch gig, if you buy shrewd, you are not actually spending much money, indeed, you may even make money.

At worst, you are simply moving your money from out of your bank account into something else which at the end of the day you can retrieve it from (by selling it).

If you buy a second hand solid gold blue face Rolex sub (as is currently available in shop in Holland for Euros 12,000), when you come to sell it in England in say 2 years time I bet that you will get back more than the £10,000 you spend now - that's a nice watch for 2 years for no cost. Now who is mad?

With the watch gig, if you buy shrewd, you are not actually spending much money, indeed, you may even make money.

At worst, you are simply moving your money from out of your bank account into something else which at the end of the day you can retrieve it from (by selling it).

If you buy a second hand solid gold blue face Rolex sub (as is currently available in shop in Holland for Euros 12,000), when you come to sell it in England in say 2 years time I bet that you will get back more than the £10,000 you spend now - that's a nice watch for 2 years for no cost. Now who is mad?

I know some guys who actively trade watches. You could question whether they get satisfaction from having watches for such a short time (6 months seems to be the shortest) but they enjoy and as you said they don't lose money.

You do need to be careful about the condition of the watch as with some makes the prices are very sensitive to any damage or marks. Rolex I suspect are less price sensitive in this respect.

When my brother died I took on his 20 year old submariner Thought should I wear this as prevouse watches 6 quid jobbies So I thought cant sell it so wear it or put it in a drawer I wear it now all the time only timeI dont is really rough work Its ok but the 6 quid will still beat the time keeping