Rapid fermentation of cider- ITS ALIVE!!!!

ack-ack

I was awoken at three, four and five am to the sounds of the air locks popping on the home pressed that i did on sunday. It was truly bizzarre as there was about an hour between filling the demijohns.

I had it the year before last when the yeast flocculated and formed a mutant yeast mothership that resulted in at least a litre being forced out. Another one has just gone now as i type!!!!

How can i temper the strange brew?

This is my strange brew. I'm wondering whether it was caused by :

1) Leaving the full, airlocked demis exposed to UV for a day before storing them in the dark

2) Accidently aggitating them when moving them to their brewing cupboard (after a day of being exposed to UV

3) Some sort of strange demonic protazoa from another dimension that has stealthily beaten the airlock and turned my usually quite quaffable boozes into the spawn of a thousand rabid toads.

post-28393-0-69338100-1378224387_thumb.jpg

Im due to do mine next week, itll be my first cider brew. All i can think of is temperature, I put an IPA on the go a week ago, supposed to be a five day ferment. It was done and dusted in 30 hours with an epic foaming head during the process.

It was a bizzarre sight. Yesterday evening there appeared to be the usuall accumulation of solids settling on the bottom of the demi. It was then as if there was a build up of co2 under it as it lifted steadily and rose to the top whereupon it mutated into this sort of shape shifting lizzard in five hours. The airlocks blew but such was the density of the ectoplasmic phenomena that when I rodded through the bungs with a skewer a bit shot out the top as the pressure released. It's a bit gutting as it's the first year I've had to do it on my jack jones so it's been twice the work.

On the upside my house smells like a big apple as opposed to a big dogs bed.

Sorted if with a bit of cold steel mr mainwaring! I shaped a skewer to suit the profile of the jar, popped the bungs and stirred like stink which released the co2 from the bloom and put it back in suspension. Topped up with some apple juice from the shop and replaced the sterilised bungs and locks. Its got two chances so i shall observe and use this as an experiment. Still got another two pressings so all is not lost.

Are there a fermentation stabiliser that can be added? Could a small bit of sulphite tablet moderate the process?

Doesn't yeast act, and therefore taste, differently when it is on the surface to when it is on the bottom? I'm sure I read that somewhere. I'd cool it down a bit to slow the fermentation, but then again I've made some pretty foul potions so feel free to ignore that nugget.

The heat thing has jogged my memory a bit. I finished about a litre short on the last jar when i pressed so i balanced them out and topped up with boiled water. Problem might be that the water was still a bit hot and it kick started apple fission.

Hmmm frothy ;) wounder what it will tast like ?

I wasnt so much froth as a gelatinous entity. They seem to have settled a bit now though one still looks like it fancies its chances. The taste has not been as good since ive been pulping using the chipper. The seconds that the apple is in contact with bare steel i think gives it a very subtle taint but this vanishes after a eight months or so in the bottle. I need a good design for either a scratter or pulper.

Thats the puppy, looks utterly lethal in the wrong hands. I'm going to hire a press for a couple of days, the big Vigo 20 litre job, should be able to get 5 gallons out of the twenty odd boxes of apples in the shed (all one variety sadly). Talking to the home brew guru in the local shop he said it was a tad early for cider making, usually an October event, but everything seems to have ripened so much earlier this year.

My tree seems to be dropping them with alarming frequency, they look and taste good but the pips are still part white. The wasps have attacked the most ripe ones though, boring holes into them. I think next year I'll put a bloody great wasp trap out and try and thin the numbers somewhat.

I usually start on the neighbours worcesters on august bank holiday, do my own millers a few weeks later and do a last press of the neighbours cookers and whatevers left in october. This year i was a week late but the bulk is yet to drop. Ive been hearing them twanging the shed roof all night so might be enough for a couple more gallons today.

I dont know if its a vigo but i bought a drill bucket last year. Ally bucket, stainless blade. It has chewed the bucket to bits and ive had to reweld it. I think a pulper is on the winter project list.

Ah, that doesn't bode well. Mine has a plastic bucket and lid, it may not make it through till next year then before self destructing.

I trashed my one by putting whole fruit in the bucket which caused the chopper to kick off and eat bucket. When i manually chopped the fruit before drilling it was better but a bit time consuming. I really have to hang on even using chopped fruit though, it can be a job keeping it plumb unless its eased into the fruit nice and steady.

Edited by ack-ack

I thought about using a potato chipper to chip the apples, trouble is, the cheapo hand operated ones may not be man enough. I'm not sure I can face hand quatering 20 boxes of apples!

You'll surprised how quick you can get through them. The rhythm you develop is quite addictive, its like being some auld grimsby fish wife on phet!

I've decided to paint strip my alco garden chipper and lacquer the bare metal. Voila! No ferrous contact and no chopping or bashing of pommes required.

Well, just finished my 26litres and it wasnt exactly quick, took most of the day but that includes making a stand to raise the press to the height of my fb and cutting and stitching a hole in a pulp bag.

All done now, airlock in. I think I have enough left to do another 25l!!!

The scratting bucket is a bit hit and miss though.