Beretta SP1 Fallin' to bits

MuPPeT_ON_TouR

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing that would put me totally off is the 9 month timescale which is absolutly stupid, and says a lot about their attitude to there customers

Yes they are probably the largest manufacturer but both themselves and Browning charge double the cost of many other low priced guns that a of equal quality but not held in such esteem due to lack of advertising

The fact that they also make so many different models also makes you wonder about their marketing ploys if all the rest make about half a dozen models why do they see a need for so many models

The phrase "you get what you pay for" is mainly wrong the real statement is "you pay what you perceive to be Quality and value" and 9 month repairs are neither quality or acceptable

again I say the dealer sold the gun not gmk also if my Toyota truck was faulty I do not complain to the factory or the importer It is down to the dealer to sort all that side of it.if you buy anything else in life you expect the shop to refund or exchange so why are guns not the same after all it is only a product like all others.if you have been told you will be without it for nine months and no replacement or loan gun is offered then demand from the dealer your money back.

I owned a Browning 125 'C' grade for 25 years, during the first 6 months the stock split by the hand grip, the stock was eventually replaced on guarantee.

I had three stocks replaced due to cracking over 25 years - very expensive.

Recently I got rid of the gun, sold it at a discounted price due to the stock having another split, I look after my guns very well and they don't have a lot of use, I liked the Browning but I was sick of having the cost of replacing the woodwork!

I now own 2 Berettas and have had no problems with either of them!

I'm not entirely sure about this but I believe that the 125 was a hybrid i.e. mechanism from Miroku but finished (tarted-up?) in Belgium, and the finishing could have included prettier but less sound wood than Miroku would have used. The 125s cost more but perhaps were not worth it. I'm open to correction, however.

The BrowningB125 was, as such made in the white by Miroku in Japan, and then shipped to the custom shop in Belgium where it was hand finished along side the B25, using the same traditional hand finishing skills.

Probably the only thing that was really a minus point on the B125 was the decision to use American walnut on it.

American walnut is pretty and is usually quite dark with good picture. It is quite opened grained and consequently not as dense as French or Turkish walnut. Combined with the forend having to be so thin in places, particularly around the ejector work, this has lead to some cracks and breakages in some woodwork.

Edited by browning123

Been busy so not had time to update.. I've been told by GMK that...

The knuckle plate wearing has been caused by the lack of lubrication or debris between the join when assembled

UTTER ******* BULL****!

It was fine after I went out the first time, I know this as OCD kicked in when cleaning it after the first go with it.... It is like when you have a new car and you spend the whole time listening to every noise thinking it is broken......

So I know it happened the second time I went out with it. A whole 150 shots exactly or circa 75/80 opening and closes to you and me.

To say no lube is an utter joke, after I wipe down the gun I then clean the barrels with brushes, jags, and a bore snake. then I clean the receiver, I put grease on the knuckles... and pretty much anything else that hinges, reciprocates, twirls or squeaks or looks like it would like grease. I Then assemble the whole thing, then wipe off all the excess grease that has squeezed out.. there is a lot of grease that squeezes out right now as it is only my first gun. It then gets wiped down with lightly oiled cloth to remove all finger prints, JOB DONE!

THIS WAS NOT CAUSE BY LACK OF LUBE!

Debris.. ah yes! That HUGE gap in between the fore end and receiver at the knuckle that is well known for hiding the odd ******* brick or two that can with the skill of a sushi chef that part times as a ninja, remove metal and leave NO OTHER trace of it having been there.. Debris that can get in that gap leave no scratches or scrapes nor could it be felt when opening or closing the gun but can remove metal.. When I say remove I mean can cause it to bubble and lift off the base metal and leave no marks. **** me.. Its debris that can use THE FORCE!

THIS WAS NOT CAUSED BY FORCE USING DEBRIS!

I can except WORN things. but not things flaking off after 350 carts and 4 outings!

On the subject of warranty, gun is over a year old and while this does not limit the responsibilities of the shop It was purchased in the warranty is with GMK and the buck does indeed stop there.

I figured I would phone the shop and ask for help/opinions, The man was very nice and obviously knowledgeable so I explained the fault and was told "that part is not plated".. but but but.. "IT'S NOT PLATED!"... I'll send you a pic, so I did.... He didn't bother to get back to me.

I now have no clue what my next course of action will be...

GMK have said..

The options are to remove the plate completely from both knuckle surfaces or to return the gun to the Beretta factory for the complete action to be re - plated.

They then said..

GMK will attempt to put this right as a gesture of good will, it is not a warranty issue.

They will send it away to Italy to fix.. but IT IS NOT A WARRANTY ISSUE

I'm confused as they have offered to do this twice now with no mention of cost as it is all my fault????

As this all sound a bit bitchy on my behalf,

I want to point out that when I first contacted GMK all I did was raise my concerns with them and asked if there was a problem.

They asked me to send it in and they WILL SORT IT.

Still they have not answered if the flaking will continue round the edge to the engraved bits of the receiver that are on show or if removing the plating (that should never be on wearing surfaces in my opinion) that this will be an end to my concerns.

Do they have any plating on the receiver?

If getting rid of it on the knuckle will sort it, without the risk of it flaking at the exposed edge then I have no problem.

Do they have any plating on the receiver?

If getting rid of it on the knuckle will sort it, without the risk of it flaking at the exposed edge then I have no problem.

Mmm don't think so neither is coin finished one an old one with no engraving still sand marked from the casting a supa basic gun they made for a short while and one has gun blued action. Thing Is the knuckle is a tight joint and needs to be removing the finish may mean the joint needs tightening? Edited by utectok

So after more talks with the gun shop today it appears and makes perfect sense to me that the plating is of **** quality and is too bloody thin to cope with the pressure of the joint, please look at original pic to see how thin the plating is.

As pointed out by utectok(thank you) this needs to be a tight joint.

Rather than anything to do with lack of lube or ninja bricks this to me looks exactly like crushed thin plating that has lifted off the base metal..

ANYBODY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT PLATING AND CAN HELP???

Edited by MuPPeT_ON_TouR

Well here are the pictures of my Beretta Silver Pigeon 1 which is only a week old and only fired 60 cartridges in total over the space of 3 occasions and the gun was cleaned after each session.

Gun-1_zpsc79fc43a.jpg

Gun-2_zpsef1867e5.jpg

Gun-3_zps988f9ba9.jpg

Gun-4_zps8f30e435.jpg

Gun-5_zpsfbee018e.jpg

Gun-6_zpsae9e1651.jpg

The wear on the forend is shocking considering the very little use the gun has had, and I've made sure all the joints were well lubricated and clean of debris before assembly.

Also the forend has caused major wear to the blueing on the bottom of the barrel.

It looks like flaking plating is an un-documented feature on the SP1, and is probably normal.

I always expected to see wear marks, shinny metal where it has rubbed I just didn't expect to see the finish flaking off the gun.

I can't understand then why when I sent pics down to GMK and simply asked what was wrong they told me to send the gun down straight away as they could sort it.

Turns out they can't sort it so they then blamed me for the problem.

Some simple assurance to say this was nothing to worry about and the rest of the plating would not be effected would have been enough for me.

Well here are the pictures of my Beretta Silver Pigeon 1 which is only a week old and only fired 60 cartridges in total over the space of 3 occasions and the gun was cleaned after each session.

Gun-1_zpsc79fc43a.jpg

Gun-2_zpsef1867e5.jpg

Gun-3_zps988f9ba9.jpg

Gun-4_zps8f30e435.jpg

Gun-5_zpsfbee018e.jpg

Gun-6_zpsae9e1651.jpg

The wear on the forend is shocking considering the very little use the gun has had, and I've made sure all the joints were well lubricated and clean of debris before assembly.

Also the forend has caused major wear to the blueing on the bottom of the barrel.

thats just usual wear! they always loose the blueing under the barrel like that!

I don't see anythibg wrong personally. Its wear and tear, they are tight when you get them and will rub, it won't affect your shooting. Although my 10+ al390 has zero wear on it as does my cheap and rather well fitting lanber.

If your really unhappy pc it for something else, I woukdnt loose any sleep over it and just get out and shoot some more with it to loosen the action a bit more.

IMHO, you are overly stressing about this. I have a 12g SP1 and recently bought a 20g SP1. It has the same rub marks. Its purely down to the fore end "kissing" the action. The high spot could be measured in microns, not even thou's. On high end guns, this would be hand polished using candle smoke to get the clearance to the width of soot.

When I was after my SP1, I looked at lots of alternatives and the gaps here and there in the machining were huge for much more money than the SP1.

I agree the soldering needs doing on the muzzle, easy job as has already been said, and GMK have said they will do it.

I think to suggest its falling to bits is overstating the case a bit. You don't seem so bothered about the chunk you knocked out of the barrels :hmm: . That would upset me more due to my own carelessness. Or maybe you are bothered and want to get a new gun out of GMK :hmm:

At the end of the day, its not, in the scheme of shotguns, hugely expensive. In 5 years time, it will, like mine, stand you in around a fiver a week, or £2.50 if you decide to sell it then. Less than the price of half a pint :yes: In the meantime, for that money, look at what its giving you back.

Chill, its a slight mark, its a tool albeit a nice one, not a priceless oil painting, Ming vase, or a Purdey. Go and have some fun with it. :good:

Edited by turbo33

IMHO, you are overly stressing about this. I have a 12g SP1 and recently bought a 20g SP1. It has the same rub marks. Its purely down to the fore end "kissing" the action. The high spot could be measured in microns, not even thou's. On high end guns, this would be hand polished using candle smoke to get the clearance to the width of soot.

When I was after my SP1, I looked at lots of alternatives and the gaps here and there in the machining were huge for much more money than the SP1.

I agree the soldering needs doing on the muzzle, easy job as has already been said, and GMK have said they will do it.

I think to suggest its falling to bits is overstating the case a bit. You don't seem so bothered about the chunk you knocked out of the barrels :hmm: . That would upset me more due to my own carelessness. Or maybe you are bothered and want to get a new gun out of GMK :hmm:

At the end of the day, its not, in the scheme of shotguns, hugely expensive. In 5 years time, it will, like mine, stand you in around a fiver a week, or £2.50 if you decide to sell it then. Less than the price of half a pint :yes: In the meantime, for that money, look at what its giving you back.

Chill, its a slight mark, its a tool albeit a nice one, not a priceless oil painting, Ming vase, or a Purdey. Go and have some fun with it. :good:

A very sensible post - take turbo333's advice stop worrying and get out there and do some shooting! Edited by browning123

Here here that's wear and tear to be expected unless you pay a lot more.