Premium petrol/diesel - any difference?

aris

After using the v power over 8 tanks i averaged 468m per tank,i then used 6 tanks of shell normal and averaged 456 per tank,so to try everything i used millers additive for 6 tanks,and while on my electric read out it was showing an average of 470 in reality after fill to empty it averaged out to 457,the 6 tanks were any fuel available which included asda,sainsburys and a garage in a village in the middle of nowhere with an independent name i had never heard of.

The v max defiantly gave me more poke and the engine sounded smoother

Shell normal was still good and the engine was fine

The additive and mixed fuel got me the same return as using shell normal, but the engine sounded and felt rougher and i had defiantly lost that bit of pickup.

Which to use in future,well i think i will continue with shell and bp normal as i find them comparable,and every 5th tank i will put in shell v power, i think this is the best mix of cost against engine protection and performance.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if anyone has noticed, but Shell are quite pricey these days. They used to be on a par or cheaper than anyone around for regular petrol or diesel, but now are up to 6p more expensive. The premium Diesel is 8p on top of that.

My local shell do regular diesel for 138.9 - local Esso is 132.9 - BP 134.9

I find shell around the country vary greatly,a garage told me it was because if the fuel was bought at the high price it stayed there until the next delivery, so if they didn't shift the fuel quickly they were stuck with the higher price,seemed to make sense.

I do notice that if shell are high then bp are usually lower and vice versa,not always but quite often.

used tesco to fill up my ml for years, thought I would try the shell v max or bp ultimate, see if it makes an improvement, its had 1 fill of v max, last 3 fills of bt ultimate, made no difference, getting the same mpg, 28.1 - 29.7mpg, done the old fashioned way litres/ 4.54= gallons, thought the engine pulled and felt smoother, but don't know if that is just wishfull thinking, smells different, will continue to try for another couple of fillups, will try to put shell v max in for them

used tesco to fill up my ml for years, thought I would try the shell v max or bp ultimate, see if it makes an improvement, its had 1 fill of v max, last 3 fills of bt ultimate, made no difference, getting the same mpg, 28.1 - 29.7mpg, done the old fashioned way litres/ 4.54= gallons, thought the engine pulled and felt smoother, but don't know if that is just wishfull thinking, smells different, will continue to try for another couple of fillups, will try to put shell v max in for them

What car is it? I suspect alot has to do with how modern your engine is.

• 2 months later...