N.Ireland

Dr D

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Dr. Yes I've been out. I hardly shot last year at all. Plenty of clays and rifle and pistol though. I mate sold me a 24 inch Mossberg 500 and its so much fun it ignited my pigeon lust. First day the bag was 44 pigeon and crow, second day was 45 pigeon and crow, next day 7. All my permissions are very local to me. I live in Lisburn. This week I checked out a field I have not shot in a few years. Houses are encroaching but I noticed that the houses have no tenants so i went and checked it out for birds. Each time there were plenty of feral birds and crows and woodies also. I drove round again on Thursdy and the birds were every where. It was intense. The birds seemed dancing on the stubble. Soooooo. I set up on Friday morning. The hide was nicely hidden. Not a freeking sausage. Nothing.

I stayed until 1:30. I remember cos Hugo Duncan was coming on. I went home, just a few minutes away. Watched tv and went back at 4:00. Now lots of birds were flying, mostly feral pigeon. There is a large barn nearby. I didn't build a hide just got well into the hedges. I shot 21 birds in 1 hour and 20 minutes. Awkward shooting cos i had to walk out and take the shot, but good fun.

Lisburn is usually a good spot. I have shot round there occasionally. Killyleagh also. But I do think the birds are not in the fields in concentrated numbers as they usually would be. A week and a half ago I had 81 in a couple of hours. But if you asked me to out you on a field at the minute I would struggle. Of course I could sit get 20 or so birds easy enough. However I am talking about a good bit of shooting, and I dont think too many people are getting birds in any numbers or consistently. I think its time to look further a field.

I have friends who shoot good bags but they they tend to keep locations under wraps and you hear about it over a pint. I have a friend who shoots regular bags of 100+ crows. Crows are great fun but your right, we don't see super bags of woodies here. I had the Montefeltro also and loved it, such a simple mechanism. I traded it for a Miroku 7000 also a class item.

Been out a few times with not much doing. Shot 47 pigeons and 5 crows over Barley Stubble today. No weight of birds about my way like there was last year, but set up this afternoon on a flightline i know and the birds decoyed better than lately no magnet today just 12 shells and 2 bouncers, if my shooting had been better i should have had 75.

Not bad at all gw80. I think they are split up with so much stubble. Problem is the beech mast crop is v good this year. So they will all disappear soon and we wont see them again til november

Think you are right there, where i was today they were spoilt for choice for stubbles. The field i really would have liked to have shot is impossible to shot cause of house and road, but set up on the line to it and managed to draw passing traffic.Notice the beech mast too, been a while since there been as much!

Also set my pattern up a bit tighter than i'd normally would and the birds seemed to be drew to it till about 6 pm when they started coming in over my back!!!

Edited by GW80